• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

I'm so confused about the PSU daisy chain business. I thought it was ok if of the 4 connectors at least one could be from a split wire connection.

Like the official adapters these PSU manufacturers are using are from a 2 sockets joint near the PSU arn't they? Are they ok?

But this is from the MSI Suprim 4090 box;

Well this was expected to use 4 single cables to the adapter and anyone thinking they could use one cable to two ends was heading for a fire or just a failure in the psu and card working correctly.

Time to give your money to ASUS for their PSU :- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...-titanium-modular-power-supply-ca-05v-as.html

They are really having a laugh ASUS and should be boycotted for such stupidity in pricing and the ASUS TAX joke is really a wind up now. £720 are they nuts or just run by stupid greedy kids now. You can buy one of the best PSUs from Bequiet the 1500w for £400 right now but ASUS wants £720 for a 1600w crappy worst built psu. Clearly that thing costs them like £150 max to make if that and selling for £720. :mad::rolleyes:

Well I will be going for one of the 4090 aoi cooled cards. My current zotec trinity is a bit loud ocd at 70% fan usage.
Warhammer 3 4k 120+ fps is what I am after and roll on modern warfare 2 !!!

Last edited:
I'm so confused about the PSU daisy chain business. I thought it was ok if of the 4 connectors at least one could be from a split wire connection.

Like the official adapters these PSU manufacturers are using are from a 2 sockets joint near the PSU arn't they? Are they ok?

But this is from the MSI Suprim 4090 box;

4 individual cables?? As Logan Roy would say, Oh **** off!

4 individual cables?? As Logan Roy would say, Oh **** off!

Maybe its a catch all for people using really old PSUs that cant pull above 150 per PSU socket?

I mean the new cables coming only draw from 2 so surely the PSU manufacturers must be confident they work.

Only thing I'm thinking is if it would make any warranty claims tricky.

Out of interest to the people who are interested in actually buying a 4090, considering the news that they wont sell out fast, are you still going to buy them day one, just a month before the competitions announcements? It seems a bit crazy to me to just drop £2k like that when the competition could offer the same or similar performance for potentially £100's cheaper. Don't get me wrong if they're only £100 cheaper i'd probably prefer a Nvidia card.
It just seems insane to me with the competition announcement only 3-4 weeks after these release.
For me, rasterisation is great and all, but the future is ray tracing, and AMD is waaaaay behind, so not a consideration for me.

True, you'll get stupid ****s try to run these ****ers on 10yr old Toughpower psu's :D

My RM850x (bought last year) will be fine :)

Mines a be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 1200W.

Considering the adapter cable bequiet makes uses two PSU sockets and daisy chaining connection 3 and 4 (before I get that) will use three sockets... I think I'll risk it lol.

But what about all these cables Corsair and Bequiet are putting out that only use two sockets?

I was going to go with option b on that picture TBH.

Because they are different gauge wire able to handle more power, the 4 cable adaptors are lower quality and you are asking forbtrouble trying to daisy chain

Last edited:
AMD will do nothing but join Nvidia in the high pricing, they're proper greedy ****s these days.

Perhaps, but they are not the leader yet, they can do that with the CPU's because they are the best ones on the market, and they forced Intel to charge significantly lower prices. It was only a few years ago Intel were charging over £1k for the top tier, now they charge £600.
Perhaps it's wishful thinking but i'm hoping AMD brings a nice price reset back to the market, if they are competative enough and undercut enough then it's a possibility.
Either that or we're screwed and have to hope ARC does well in the future.

It's more annoying as i'm looking at a new card as i'm on a 1080ti atm looking at spending about £1k this year which in my view should be the cost of the 4080ti rather than the 4080 12gb which is a basically a 4070 rebrand.
The 4090 i would think should be about £1400, which is why i'm hoping competition is actually good this time.

Hopefully it's not wishful thinking

My wife said it sounds like a waste of money and then proceeded to tell me that she wants a Porsche Cayenne.
This is that same as my wife. Complaining about how much money we haven't got and then the next day sends me a link to a 30k car that she says she likes the look of.

If she were to only put 2 and 2 together the she may see the issue here....

Because they are different gauge wire able to handle more power, the 4 cable adaptors are lower quality and you are asking forbtrouble trying to daisy chain

Maybe I'm over thinking this but my PSU only game with 3 PCI cables with two connections on each (6+2 x2). Surely if they came with the PSU it should be able to give what ever is required of each connector?

Last edited:
That's fair, we don't know how AMD will do yet but Nvidia are way ahead. I guess i never really think about Raytracing as I mainly play onine competative shooters or something so i'd rather not have it and have a higher FPS.

I am kind of interested how well some of the new games will run at 4k with Raytracing (DLSS turned off) though on the 4090 most of the performance i've seen has all be about DLSS so looking forward to Wednesday, i have next week off so i think ill be on youtube all day watching reviews lol.

Back
Top Bottom