• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Out of interest to the people who are interested in actually buying a 4090, considering the news that they wont sell out fast, are you still going to buy them day one, just a month before the competitions announcements? It seems a bit crazy to me to just drop £2k like that when the competition could offer the same or similar performance for potentially £100's cheaper. Don't get me wrong if they're only £100 cheaper i'd probably prefer a Nvidia card.
It just seems insane to me with the competition announcement only 3-4 weeks after these release.

Unfortunately for me I've got a G-Sync monitor so no choice really.
Could get a 30 series card but where's the fun in that :P

Out of interest to the people who are interested in actually buying a 4090, considering the news that they wont sell out fast, are you still going to buy them day one, just a month before the competitions announcements? It seems a bit crazy to me to just drop £2k like that when the competition could offer the same or similar performance for potentially £100's cheaper. Don't get me wrong if they're only £100 cheaper i'd probably prefer a Nvidia card.
It just seems insane to me with the competition announcement only 3-4 weeks after these release.
This is what most sensible people with average sized wallets would do

No they aren't, especially in 2 weeks

We wont know that until we see the reviews, cherry picked results from vendors isn't an indication of overall performance. We also will have the 3D versions not yet announced, and in Intels own charts they hid the results of the 5800x 3D with a small line which was still competative in many of the games. If anything we are in a good position now with CPUS as it looks like we will have the two companies leap frogging each other which is good for all of us.

Hopefully come November the same happens in the GPU market. I'm actually kind of excited to see how the 4090 will stack up against the new competition, i mean we all know Nvidia are hiding a 4090ti varrient which will be even more of a power hungry monster.

Either way ill drop the CPU topic now as i don't want to take this off topic.

Too add to the no daisy chain MSI confusion. This is from The Be Quiet website that says it should be fine (I mean I don't think you can get a 4th direct wire, so last one must be daisy chained, and it says no accessories needed);

During the months leading up to the launch, many were wondering whether these would be the first PCI Express 5 graphics cards on the consumer market. Current ATX 2.X power supplies are not equipped to deal with the high power excursions that may come along with the new technology, so it was a valid concern whether current power supply units remain suited for the new generation of graphics cards. Now we know that the RTX 4090 and 4080 do not have the high power excursions of PCIe 5.0, but use the 12VHPWR power connector.

RTX 4090 and 4080 cards, whether they are Founders Edition models or board partner cards, come with an adapter that transforms up to four 6+2-pin PCI Express 4 power plugs into a single 12VHPWR connector. This means everyone can get started right away with a suitable be quiet! PSU and a new RTX 40 series card, with no additional accessory required. The only thing to consider are the power requirements. Our recommendation is as follows:
Dark Power 12, Straight Power 11, and Pure Power 11 series
Nvidia RTX 4090≥ 850W
Nvidia RTX 4080≥ 750W

Last edited:
Unfortunately for me I've got a G-Sync monitor so no choice really.
Could get a 30 series card but where's the fun in that :p

Oh nice this is why i'm really paying attention this time round as i have a 4k 144hz Monitor, lucky i have that ASUS Freesync/G-Sync compatable one which i picked up for £800 a couple of years ago on OCUK, I think i saw it relisted recently for a little under what I paid. Luckily it means I can go with the best value. But i'm really looking forward to a card that can run 4k comfortably. I keep my 1080ti in 4k even though it struggles in 1 game but i have a 4k monitor and dammit i'm gonna use it!
This is what most sensible people with average sized wallets would do

I'm just good at saving money! It also helps that i don't particularly care for either brand or brand specific features, some of them look nice but i just want the highest performance for the best cost. This launch is such a mixed one for me, the tech and performance of the 4090 are incredible, but i also really want it to fail badly, just so it doesn't set a precedent going forward, if it's successful, we all know the 5090 will be £2k plus MRSP

The second it’s out I’ll be going for one.

Isn't it weird, barely *any* chatter about the 4080s, makes you wonder how they're gonna sell...

Isn't this always the case? People always talk about the top card and nothing else, even if they don't buy it. Most talk i've seen on the 4080 is irritation about the misleading nature of the 12gb varrient.

It's also i think due to the cost of them. The 4080 12gb (4070) and 4080 16gb as well as the 4090 are all price well out of 90% of peoples budgets, they are all priced in such a way only certain people will even be able to afford them and of the people who can afford them i'd wager that the majority of those people would just get the 4090 so would rather go for that.

If you were to put cards into a price brackets have the low sub £500 group, the middle £500-£1000 group and then the £1000+ group, when both the 4080 and 4090 fall into the top group people just get the best. Also with Crypto mining dead it looks like there will be no shortage this time around, so people wont take what they can get they will get the best they can.

I personally think the price of the 4080 is now priced out of most peoples budget, and those that would have the budget for them also have a budget for the 4090.

We will see of course.

Oh nice this is why i'm really paying attention this time round as i have a 4k 144hz Monitor, lucky i have that ASUS Freesync/G-Sync compatable one which i picked up for £800 a couple of years ago on OCUK, I think i saw it relisted recently for a little under what I paid. Luckily it means I can go with the best value. But i'm really looking forward to a card that can run 4k comfortably. I keep my 1080ti in 4k even though it struggles in 1 game but i have a 4k monitor and dammit i'm gonna use it!

I'm just good at saving money! It also helps that i don't particularly care for either brand or brand specific features, some of them look nice but i just want the highest performance for the best cost. This launch is such a mixed one for me, the tech and performance of the 4090 are incredible, but i also really want it to fail badly, just so it doesn't set a precedent going forward, if it's successful, we all know the 5090 will be £2k plus MRSP

I've got a 1080 Ti too so getting a new gen card will be a big jump for the both of us!

Nvidia definitely need to be knocked down a peg or two. These prices and mindset of theirs cannot be allowed to continue unchallenged.

I've got a 1080 so not sure whether to upgrade - I would like something at least twice as fast as my current card.

I think the 3080 gives you 2x performance.
I've been wanting atleast 2x myself aswell so would need a 3090 Ti to achieve that compared to a 1080 Ti. But with the prices of those I might aswell pay a bit more and grab a 4090.

Last edited:
I've got a 1080 Ti too so getting a new gen card will be a big jump for the both of us!

Nvidia definitely need to be knocked down a peg or two. These prices and mindset of theirs cannot be allowed to continue unchallenged.

Yeh but is your G-Sync monitor 4k?
I'm trying to run my 1080ti on 4k whenever I can, so i will finally be able to play a Ultra settings again, i feel like i'm abusing the hell out of my 1080ti trying to get it to run 4k lmao. I'm actually really excited for November as i wont make my choice until i see both sides. But defo getting a new card.

What's annoying is on team green the 4080 12gb is more my budget but hell be damned if i'm going to support such shady practices and buy one, so will either get a 4080 16gb (which i hope AMD will knock t hem down to my 1k budget) or AMD equivalent which ever performs best.

We are both in for a real treat with a performance jump though, the difference in the 3000 series was already huge jumping to this gen is going to be massive for the both of us, i'm with you there!

Back
Top Bottom