• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Unfortunately for me I've got a G-Sync monitor so no choice really.
Could get a 30 series card but where's the fun in that :p

You have the Dell Alienware AW3821DW, do you not? As with other relatively recent G-SYNC monitors, you can access the full functionality of the G-SYNC module via Adaptive-Sync (DP) on an AMD GPU. So you're not restricted to Nvidia GPUs because of your monitor. :)

Yeh but is your G-Sync monitor 4k?
I'm trying to run my 1080ti on 4k whenever I can, so i will finally be able to play a Ultra settings again, i feel like i'm abusing the hell out of my 1080ti trying to get it to run 4k lmao. I'm actually really excited for November as i wont make my choice until i see both sides. But defo getting a new card.

What's annoying is on team green the 4080 12gb is more my budget but hell be damned if i'm going to support such shady practices and buy one, so will either get a 4080 16gb (which i hope AMD will knock t hem down to my 1k budget) or AMD equivalent which ever performs best.

We are both in for a real treat with a performance jump though, the difference in the 3000 series was already huge jumping to this gen is going to be massive for the both of us, i'm with you there!

I'm running 3840x1600 Ultrawide @ 144Hz (around 75% the pixels of 4K).

You have the Dell Alienware AW3821DW, do you not? As with other relatively recent G-SYNC monitors, you can access the full functionality of the G-SYNC module via Adaptive-Sync (DP) on an AMD GPU. So you're not restricted to Nvidia GPUs because of your monitor. :)

Are you serious?!?

Are you serious?!?

I have this monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX 27" XG27UQR under £700 now on OCUK, i have the older model though 2020 model (no R at the end of the name) looks like they made some improvements and are charging less now.

Nice to know someone else is going to have a big jump, we can finally run our monitors in full glory haha.

Less than 4 days to go now so what’s the first thing people are going to use them with? I’m gonna see how it holds up in Cyberpunk then will try out VR with it. I never did complete half life alyx so this is a good opportunity to finish it off and put the 4090 through its paces
Straight to the benchmark threads to reclaim my positions from @LtMatt :cry: but in all seriousness probably some warzone running native 4K and then on to the monitor to see how much over 240fps i can get , Resident Evil games will get a nice uplift as well as with the recent RT update wont quite sit at 4k 120fps anymore . will see how it does 8K downscaling to 4K for games like Elden Ring and Dark Souls 3.

Are you serious?!?

I think the answer to that is that it will work. I seem to remember the g-sync module that monitor has works with AMD. I mean don't quote me on this but it is definitely worth looking in to. I will check back on here to see what you find becuase I have one of those too ( And so I researched it at the time and I am pretty sure the answer was that it DID work ).

Last edited:
I think the answer to that is that it will work. I seem to remember the g-sync module that monitor has works with AMD. I mean don't quote me on this but it is definitely worth looking in to. I will check back on here to see what you find becuase I have one of those too ( And so I researched it at the time and I am pretty sure the answer was that it DID work ).

Anyone have an AMD card I can borrow :p

This may be useful for prospective 4090 buyers;

850W RMx here so happy :)

edit - Not surprising really, even my RM650x coped fine with a 12700k+3080 inc overclocks all round, I changed to an 850w to give me a little more headroom for the 6900XT (still ran on the 650w btw) and 3090. Glad I did now, should be ok with a 4090 if I go for one.

You will be fine with a 850W imo , on the limit but fine ... for reference with my Strix at 520W and a overclocked 10900k ( 5.3 ) the most i have seen it ever pull from the wall during benchmarking was 800w , normal game play has it sitting anywhere from 300w to 710w again with both overclocked . 850W will be fine for an overclocked 4090 and 12700k :)

GSFS.jpg

From TFT Central!

WOW. Now this makes things really interesting!

Has anyone had a FE card without coil whine? Feels like playing the lottery with anything but a MSI card, and even then I know there's a small chance of getting a dud.

I had 4 3080/90s and here was my experience

TUF 3080 worst coilwhine I have ever heard

EVGA FTW3 3090 minor coil whine under heavy load

Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080 no coil whine

MSI Trio X 3080 no coil whine

Back
Top Bottom