• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
59% is no where near 2X.
It's not anywhere near 2x in raster performance - that is disappointing seeing all the improvements they did (cache, out of order execution, MANY more CUDA cores, MUCH higher clocks etc.). With RT it's a big improvement, with DLSS 3 as well (DLSS 2 seems to be hitting an FPS limit in many games a bit above 100FPS and doesn't do anything, DLSS 3 can cross it). 4090 pricing is silly, but it's a silly halo card. The other 2 look even less attractive now, though, by comparison.

Associate
Fair enough but 6% isn't nothing. If the power limit is the same on AIB cards as FE (unlike previous generations) then that removes one of the reasons people that plan to OC buy an AIB
NVIDIA is known to very strictly control things like power use and limits on AIB cards too. So it depends on what they allow AIB to do - AIB really can only customise cooler and that is it, these days.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Eh? Who said it was. You said it was 45%.

As it was, i'm referring to your citation.

I'm really not bothered about the 4090, its above my pay grade, what worries me about that is what it indicates about the GPU's that do interest me, far from getting a 3080 for £500, that level of performance is now starting at £950.

Last edited:
Soldato
It really makes sense to just buy the top card and skip a generation with the current mid range pricing and performance, you could spend £1300 on a 4080 16gb then 2 years later buy 5080 £1300 and the 5080 will still likely be slower than a 4090 even though you ended up spending £2600.
I am not spending so much on a dGPU to play games and I have a SFF PC myself so rather have something more efficient. Either way I will just avoid newer games or buy a console eventually to play the odd newer game. Means I can upgrade the PC less. I have plenty of other hobbies which don't show these insane level of price increases and I think I will just spend on those,and cut spending overall on my PC. I see more and more of my friends,just not bothering spending on their gaming PCs.

Many got consoles,or just spent more on other hobbies instead. It's the same with the actual cost of games too - too many whales have ruined this hobby. Over monetisation and samey remakes of rehashes of old concepts. I tried warning people this day was happening nearly a decade ago,and now its happened.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Hi there

Not sure what we are allowed to say or not say been a reseller.

However the 4090 is very much CPU bottleneck in anything below 4k, infact even 4k does see a performance boost with best CPU's and in our testing 7950X and 13900K certainly gave the card yet more ooomph with CPUs overclocked as it seems to love high frequency CPU clocks, it is a serious piece of kit and is really only ideal for those sporting the very best CPU's and ideally overclocking the CPU's to truly get the best from a 4090.

The best is always expensive, that is life, NVIDIA do a whole range of GPU's that will play games well from £300 at HD, want to max out 4k its going to cost more.

We cannot post our review by 8 Pack until tomorrow but that is with a 6GHz 7950X which truly lets a 4090 properly stretch its legs. :)

Last edited:
Permabanned

I'm really not bothered about the 4090, was above my pay grade, what worries me about that is what it indicates about the GPU's that do interest me, far from getting a 3080 for £500, that level of performance is now starting at £950.
Thank you for being a voice of reason amongst the drooling fools.

Soldato
Hi there

Not sure what we are allowed to say or not say been a reseller.

However the 4090 is very much CPU bottleneck in anything below 4k, infact even 4k does see a performance boost with best CPU's and in our testing 7950X and 13900K certainly gave the card yet more ooomph with CPUs overclocked as it seems to love high frequency CPU clocks, it is a serious piece of kit and is really only ideal for those sporting the very best CPU's and ideally overclocking the CPU's to truly get the best from a 4090.

The best is always expensive, that is life, NVIDIA do a whole range of GPU's that will play games well from £300 at HD, want to max out 4k its going to cost more.

We cannot post our review by 8 Pack until tomorrow but that is with a 6GHz 7950X which truly lets a 4090 properly stretch its legs. :)
Should 5900X owners be avoiding this card?

Associate

I'm really not bothered about the 4090, its above my pay grade, what worries me about that is what it indicates about the GPU's that do interest me, far from getting a 3080 for £500, that level of performance is now starting at £950.
I can only repeat what I said "HU 59% faster at 4K than a 3090ti. Steve said minimum of 40% uplift over 3090ti up to 75%".

I never said it was 2X (although in some games at 4K it isn't far off).

Soldato
59% is no where near 2X.
This is what I was afraid of. The card is approximately strong enough to do the job I need it to do, but only just.

So it goes on my shopping list, (assuming AMD release no new info). I'm interested in what the AIB's can do so I will probably check the reviews on those tomorrow, then check availability online.

If it's sold out by then, I'm fine to wait until the dust settles.

Considering the offering is more than a generational uplift, I'm actually okay with the pricing. I wanted more, but this is still impressive.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I can only repeat what I said "HU 59% faster at 4K than a 3090ti. Steve said minimum of 40% uplift over 3090ti up to 75%".

I never said it was 2X (although in some games at 4K it isn't far off).

The 4080 12GB has LESS than HALF the shaders and starts at £950, its a 3080 equivalent, at best, for £950.

Last edited:
Soldato
And why would one do that? Debauer shown efficiency graphs and there is almost a flat line above 350W up to 450W. This card is already pushed way too hard by the looks of it, with power use, which give only about 5% performance uplift above 300W-330W. Pushing it to 600W would likely achieve absolutely nothing aside just increasing your electricity bill.
The only reason to push 600w is for a bit of willywaving in TS benchmarks, for daily gaming an undervolt for efficiency temps and noise reduction is a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom