• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Just read the igorslab on the connector issue and it seems the nvidia supplied one is pretty crap to say the least. The better ones are the ones supplied by actual ATX 3.0 compliant psu's which do it right from the get go, unlike nvidias.

Igorslab in summary:

• The problem is not the 12VHPWR connection as such, nor the repeated plugging or unplugging.
  • Standard compliant power supply cables from brand manufacturers are NOT affected by this so far.
  • The current trigger is NVIDIA’s own adapter to 4x 8-pin in the accessories, whose inferior quality can lead to failures and has already caused damage in single cases.
  • Splitting each of the four 14AWG leads onto each of the 6 pins in the 12VHPWR connector of the adapter by soldering them onto bridges that are much too thin is dangerous because the ends of the leads can break off at the solder joint (e.g., when kinked or bent several times).
  • Bending or kinking the wires directly at the connector of the adapter puts too much pressure on the solder joints and bridges, so that they can break off.
  • The inner bridge between the pins is too thin (resulting cross section) to compensate the current flow on two or three instead of four connected 12V lines.
  • NVIDIA has already been informed in advance and the data and pictures were also provided by be quiet! directly to the R&D department.

Last edited:
Associate
@Gibbo have you been in contact with cablemod about getting some of these new cables to sell on the website , i imagine they will fly of the shelfs if so and wont be so confusing for people like trying to order from cablemod directly :)

Soldato
I'm not discrediting anything that's been reported but the supplied cable isn't very very bad/dangerous.

I think the most damning statement I've read is;

"Such soldering processes from thick to thin, as well as pressed wires without real strain relief in the plug, are technically not only mischief and grossly negligent, but actually also forbidden, because they contradict all rules of electrical engineering."

This is inherently a dangerous thing to do, and is indeed very very bad.

Soldato
Hello. I will be buying Gigabyte Rtx 4090 Gaming OC. But is this worth and safe? I will be using adapter from card to plug.
My psu is Seasonic 1300W Prime Platinum.

Here read pls:

Do i will be have issues? or not?

The adapters are all NVIDIA, I believe, so the answers is no, you need to replace the cable.

Soldato
i would disagree because even cablemod cables disclaim a 35mm bend clearance, it isnt robust enough to be a consumer standard, they have got to increase the pin area to make it more robust
That or do a better job on the solder joint so it holds better if bent at that point. Cos from what i've read, bending is whats causing the poor soldering joints to break putting more load on certain wires than others causing more heat therefore melting.

Soldato
i would disagree because even cablemod cables disclaim a 35mm bend clearance, it isnt robust enough to be a consumer standard, they have got to increase the pin area to make it more robust

I think they do as well, especially for the 4090ti. But will they? I can imagine they roll out a new cable for existing purchases, but could they really introduce a new socket in time? My guess is they will replace the cable now and introduce a new socket for the 50 series.

Last edited:
Associate
Whacha wanna bet it the guys who can't afford one who are being the loudest over this?

Oh noes - a couple of people didn't connect an electrical connector properly & it caused some melty melty ness... guess what... PCI-E 8 pin connectors have done the same when you don't plug them in correctly.
I can afford one and I’m choosing not to (stock or no stock)

Soldato
I think they do as well, especially for the 4090ti. But will they? I can imagine they roll out a new cable for existing purchases, but could they really introduce a new socket in time?
I dont think they could, a larger connector with more pinouts would mean a change in the design of the heatsink to compensate and maybe even the pcb itself if its surrounded by components. Won't happen.

Soldato
Whacha wanna bet it the guys who can't afford one who are being the loudest over this?

Oh noes - a couple of people didn't connect an electrical connector properly & it caused some melty melty ness... guess what... PCI-E 8 pin connectors have done the same when you don't plug them in correctly.

I had almost talked myself in to parting with £1800 but now thanks to this issue I will hang back and see what happens. I am not going to risk an £1800 fire with the manufacturer turning round and saying it was my fault. The very least, I will wait until better cables are available in quantity.

Associate
no i was just commenting that your original comment doesnt apply to the universe of enthusiasts.. there are enthusiasts who would still maximize value for money
also i meant the card has a lifespan of 2 years because i would be upgrading to 5090s in 2024 without fail
thats also the reason i dont bother with EK blocks and similar stuff
regarding the connector it has an even shorter lifespan because they may rework the pin dimensions under atx 3.1
I just cant get my head around how someone will spend £1700 on a GPU then complain about a £35 cable , on a gpu costing significantly less then would agree some may complain about the extra outlay but if your happy to spend £1700+ an extra cable isnt going to break the bank ;)
If they do decide to change the spec again then no problem as im sure who ever i eventually sell my 4090 to will be happy to have the nicer cable with it .... and as for the EK waterblock i am desperate to get my hands on one :cry:

Back
Top Bottom