• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
Sorry dude but you're wrong.
My Zotac won't use the full watts with 3 X 8 pins. I need 4x8 pin to get the full 500W+ when I overclock.
No I am not wrong but don't worry I accept your apology in advance :cry:

• WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 3 X 8-PIN AND 4 X 8-PIN 12VHPWR CABLES?
    Both the 3 x 8-pin and the 4 x 8-pin versions of our 12VHPWR will work with the new NVIDIA 40 Series GPUs, provided your PSU meets or exceeds the minimum wattage requirements. The reason we offer both of these is for users who want extra redundancy for the power being supplied to their GPU.
    DON’T PCI-E PORTS ONLY PROVIDE UP TO 150W PER PORT? HOW IS IT THAT A 3 X 8-PIN CABLE CAN BE SUFFICIENT TO POWER GPUS THAT REQUIRE UP TO 600W AT PEAK?
    In truth, an 8-pin PCI-e port on modern PSUs can supply over 300W of power each (up to 342W, depending on model). Thus, two 8-pin PCI-e ports are more than enough to provide the required 600W. We provide both 3 x 8-pin and 4 x 8-pin versions of this cable for extra redundancy. **Please note that all 8 Pin PCI-e plugs need to be plugged in for the cable to function properly. If you order a 3 x 8-Pin or 4 x 8-Pin to 16-Pin, make sure that all of the 8-pin connectors are connected correctly to your PSU.**

DOES HAVING ONLY THREE 8-PIN CONNECTORS MEAN I WON’T BE ABLE TO OVERCLOCK?
    That is not the case - both of our 3 x 8-pin and 4 x 8-pin can deliver the full 600W if requested by the GPU. This is assuming your PSU wattage is adequate according to manufacturer guidelines.

And the final nail in the coffin is I have a Zotac here with a 3 X 8pin cablemod cable and with a 600w bios happily pulls 550w in port royal... why did you need a 4 X 8 pin again ?

Soldato
My word, people are blowing this massively out of proportion. Just use the bloody adapter, it's absolutely fine for 99.99% of people, 4 reported cases does not make it the issue people are making it out to be
It’s great for YouTube views and custom cable sales though!

Associate
just use the adapter that comes with the card like Gibbo says OCUK have saw 0 RMA for a melted connector
So just trust the internet salesman that has been scalping GPUs for a couple of years then?

I'd be erring on the side of caution (But then again, I don't have a 4090 yet).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I find it funny that one of the first "big" YouTubers to talk about the danger of the cable and how easy it will be to fail, then failed multiple times to break it in a follow up video.

It was a fantastic clickbait video to make in the lead up to the 4090 release, and unfortunately, that's meant that people have taken a concern, and turned it in to "Nvidia are supplying IED's to consumers with a fuse disguised as an adapter cable"

Last edited:
Soldato
Just ordered a Zotac trinity OC and need a new PSU.

8 pack in his vid says 1000W for 450W boards but does infer zotacs are 600W thus requiring ATX 2.0 1200W PSU. Are all zotacs 600W PCB's or do you think 8 pack is referring to the top card only?

Caporegime
I find it funny that one of the first "big" YouTubers to talk about the danger of the cable and how easy it will be to fail, then failed multiple times to break it in a follow up video.

It was a fantastic clickbait video to make in the lead up to the 4090 release, and unfortunately, that's meant that people have taken a concern, and turned it in to "Nvidia are supplying IED's to consumers with a fuse disguised as an adapter cable"
yI could believe the whole thing has been orchestrated by cablemod with how many of these videos appear to be sponsored by them to create fear

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So the connector issue seems to be getting bigger and bigger on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/). A massive recall must be due any moment. The connectors are melting on both the adapter side and the heat is melting the GPU side socket as well. It's clear the sole cause is the nvidia adapter, and people are saying best to buy the Cablemods adapter or other reputable cable brand instead.

The GPU needs to be replaced by the AIB or nvidia too if the connector is damaged for obvious reasons.

Personally I would be very very very wary of running a 4090 right about now. Simply not worth the safety risk.

The fact that people need to check their connector, that very action is reducing the life of the connector too since the stock nvidia connector has a use life of what, 30 insertions iirc?

This is simply crazy.

Last edited:
Associate
These posts about potential for a fire risk with the cable connector, then in the same thread asking to flash a 600w BIOS to pump even more voltage to it.

No issues with mine wide enough case and it performs perfectly well with a small overclock for consistent 2800mhz core speed.

Man of Honour
So the connector issue seems to be getting bigger and bigger on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/). A massive recall must be due any moment. The connectors are melting on both the adapter side and the heat is melting the GPU side socket as well. It's clear the sole cause is the nvidia adapter, and people are saying best to buy the Cablemods adapter or other reputable cable brand instead.

The GPU needs to be replaced by the AIB or nvidia too if the connector is damaged for obvious reasons.

Personally I would be very very very wary of running a 4090 right about now. Simply not worth the safety risk.

The fact that people need to check their connector, that very action is reducing the life of the connector too since the stock nvidia connector has a use life of what, 30 insertions iirc?

This is simply crazy.

This post must be satire...surely?

Man of Honour
There's 2 posts, within the last 2 days from redditors who have had a melted connector. You said "bigger and bigger". Assuming those aren't 2 of the 4 we already know about, that's 6 connectors in thousands of cards. It's amazing you think Nvidia are imminently about to do a product recall for an issue affecting less than 0.1% of cards

Last edited:
Soldato
No I am not wrong but don't worry I accept your apology in advance :cry:

• WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 3 X 8-PIN AND 4 X 8-PIN 12VHPWR CABLES?
    Both the 3 x 8-pin and the 4 x 8-pin versions of our 12VHPWR will work with the new NVIDIA 40 Series GPUs, provided your PSU meets or exceeds the minimum wattage requirements. The reason we offer both of these is for users who want extra redundancy for the power being supplied to their GPU.
    DON’T PCI-E PORTS ONLY PROVIDE UP TO 150W PER PORT? HOW IS IT THAT A 3 X 8-PIN CABLE CAN BE SUFFICIENT TO POWER GPUS THAT REQUIRE UP TO 600W AT PEAK?
    In truth, an 8-pin PCI-e port on modern PSUs can supply over 300W of power each (up to 342W, depending on model). Thus, two 8-pin PCI-e ports are more than enough to provide the required 600W. We provide both 3 x 8-pin and 4 x 8-pin versions of this cable for extra redundancy. **Please note that all 8 Pin PCI-e plugs need to be plugged in for the cable to function properly. If you order a 3 x 8-Pin or 4 x 8-Pin to 16-Pin, make sure that all of the 8-pin connectors are connected correctly to your PSU.**

DOES HAVING ONLY THREE 8-PIN CONNECTORS MEAN I WON’T BE ABLE TO OVERCLOCK?
    That is not the case - both of our 3 x 8-pin and 4 x 8-pin can deliver the full 600W if requested by the GPU. This is assuming your PSU wattage is adequate according to manufacturer guidelines.

And the final nail in the coffin is I have a Zotac here with a 3 X 8pin cablemod cable and with a 600w bios happily pulls 550w in port royal... why did you need a 4 X 8 pin again ?

I have already said.
And most people on overclock.net who have the same card agree.
And stop copy and pasting with no evidence of a card. And what card do you have?

Back
Top Bottom