• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

The point wasn't picture quality between upscaling techniques or not using any at all, The point was even with a 4090 in Cyberpunk with maximum settings while using DLSS set to Quality I'm still "only" getting 75FPS in busy areas, If I were to get a 4070 Ti or even 4080 it would be a fair chunk lower in those scenarios, With a 4090 I can at least have smoother perf.
Not disagreeing, but the poster that said he's running 4090 max settings no DLSS, that's max settings.:p

Reality was when I updated I still paid the same per frame almost, as the 980ti classified I paid close to £650 for it at the time and by time I grabbed a card I needed the 3090 that was basically 3x the price of the 980ti and is really 3x the performance in most things to 4x max.

Nvidia has a plan to keep charging us by the frame now and has been doing it a good while now and sadly we have let them get away with it out of desperation to update our hardware for our needs.

Let's not even mention the 20 series mess and what we are seeing now makes that look like nvidia was being generous then .. 2080ti's were £1200 not their fake msrp of $999. That's when the real fake msrp game became the norm for nvidia because reviewers didn't put enough pressure on them even when the customers did then. Problem is this game will not stop unless we all say enough.

You upgraded at the wrong times or chose the wrong options if you feel you overpaid.
I went from a 980ti to a 1080ti. The 1080ti cost me £580 only a couple of weeks after launch
Then I upgraded to a 3080 for £670 (Palit model) when it launched

Definitely better value per frame
3090 was way overpriced for the small bump in performance over the 3080 which is why your value per frame was so bad. But that was your choice.

The 40 series, like the 20 series is best to skip if you want value and performance (although, the 4090 is soooo tempting and I keep almost buying it but then reminding myself that the 3080 is still plenty)

Last edited:
What monitors do current 4090 owners have? I'm currently on a Dell U3818DW WQHD+ 3840 x 1600 60Hz, overclocked to 75Hz and will probably attempt to purchase a 4090FE on the next drop.

What monitors do current 4090 owners have? I'm currently on a Dell U3818DW WQHD+ 3840 x 1600 60Hz, overclocked to 75Hz and will probably attempt to purchase a 4090FE on the next drop.

Samsung Odyssey Neo G8, Absolutely beautiful, Both screen tech wise and design wise.

4K, 32", 240Hz, Full array mini-LED local dimming thanks to nearly 1200 mini LED's i.e 1200 individual lighting zones, 1000+ nits of brightness with 2300nits in very small sectors during explosions, Gun blasts etc.... which genuinely makes you squint at times if you look into the sun or there's a big explosion. And with Window 11's Auto-HDR in games that don't have native HDR it makes older games come alive, Truly 1 of the best purchases I've made for my setup in recent years.

The thing that really impressed me thanks to the 1200 local dimming zones is that black is actually black not dark gray, 0.02 nits which is incredibly low for a non OLED panel.

Space games and horror games are now very immersive.

Last edited:
Console peasants spend £450 to only play games. Lol.

We spend £3000 to play games but boy can make we an awesome spreadsheet.
Consolers also on average spend a ton more on games than we do! Almost all the games I buy are at least a year old, cost a pittance on Steam key sites and I play them maxed out with mods. Hell, I am playing through GTA5 now with the Naturalvision mod and that bring my 3090 to its knees and then I will start RDR2 afterwards. Not to mention Skyrim VR, a 10 year old game that needs a 4090 to run maxed out. :D

So interestingly I do feel that bleeding edge hardware costs are balanced to some degree by the amazing and cheap PC back catalogue. :)

That's a great idea but I haven't got a clue who to ask. Any suggestions? I'm curious as my 2080 Super is always maxed out and not only am I going to get a 4090FE but also am considering a move to a 49inch samsung UW, hopefully the one announced at CES.

Make a new thread in the GPU section called "4090 Owner Monitor Thread".

Will get some good posts and setup pics :)

Consolers also on average spend a ton more on games than we do! Almost all the games I buy are at least a year old, cost a pittance on Steam key sites and I play them maxed out with mods. Hell, I am playing through GTA5 now with the Naturalvision mod and that bring my 3090 to its knees and then I will start RDR2 afterwards. Not to mention Skyrim VR, a 10 year old game that needs a 4090 to run maxed out.
:D

So interestingly I do feel that bleeding edge hardware costs are balanced to some degree by the amazing and cheap PC back catalogue.
:)

I'm going to start GTAV for the first time in a few days, Since it launched on PC in 2015 ? I've only ever used it for its built in benchmark :D

Last edited:
Consolers also on average spend a ton more on games than we do! Almost all the games I buy are at least a year old, cost a pittance on Steam key sites and I play them maxed out with mods. Hell, I am playing through GTA5 now with the Naturalvision mod and that bring my 3090 to its knees and then I will start RDR2 afterwards. Not to mention Skyrim VR, a 10 year old game that needs a 4090 to run maxed out. :D

So interestingly I do feel that bleeding edge hardware costs are balanced to some degree by the amazing and cheap PC back catalogue. :)
The thing is I've always owned consoles alongside my pc and the game price argument isn't really valid any more. Countless games can be bought digitally and with vpns etc, gamepass / psn offer countless games. Discs you buy can be sold when you're finished with them to recoup cost.

I have about 500 games on steam and epic etc. Loads of crap I've never even installed.

An example of a recent purchase, I bought Elden Ring on xbox for £35 on disc. If I sell it on its probably worth 25? (total guess). I could have bought it on cdkeys for £29.

Right now a steam version costs £29 also.

Last edited:
Well this thing really is a beast

Pico 4 - (3120*3120)*2 = 19.46m pixels
That's two and a half 4K monitors

Automobilista 2

3080Ti

Track - Silverstone 13:00 August Clear Sky
Cars - 6
Graphics - High
Reflections - Low
Shadows - Off
High Mirrors - Off
Extra Eye Candy (Bloom, Haze, Sun flares) - Off

72fps @ 85%-95% Load

Track - Silverstone 07:00 November Cloudy (sun coming up, car headlights on, misty on track)
Cars - 31 (Max)
Graphics - Ultra
Reflections - Ultra
Shadows - Ultra
High Mirrors - On
Extra Eye Candy (Bloom, Haze, Sun flares) - On

90fps @ 75%-85% Load (95% on occasion when in the middle of the pack early in the race with lots of cars bunched together)

I would assume that using the above example, and having the rain lashing down would probably tip the 4090 over the edge, but what you gonna do, settle
for high not ultra lol Damn, this thing really is a beast.

NY46Crv.jpg

8pmLSLJ.jpg

qLqio4n.jpg

Well this thing really is a beast

Pico 4 - (3120*3120)*2 = 19.46m pixels
That's two and a half 4K monitors

Automobilista 2

3080Ti

Track - Silverstone 13:00 August Clear Sky
Cars - 6
Graphics - High
Reflections - Low
Shadows - Off
High Mirrors - Off
Extra Eye Candy (Bloom, Haze, Sun flares) - Off

72fps @ 85%-95% Load

Track - Silverstone 07:00 November Cloudy (sun coming up, car headlights on, misty on track)
Cars - 31 (Max)
Graphics - Ultra
Reflections - Ultra
Shadows - Ultra
High Mirrors - On
Extra Eye Candy (Bloom, Haze, Sun flares) - On

90fps @ 75%-85% Load (95% on occasion when in the middle of the pack early in the race with lots of cars bunched together)

I would assume that using the above example, and having the rain lashing down would probably tip the 4090 over the edge, but what you gonna do, settle
for high not ultra lol Damn, this thing really is a beast.

NY46Crv.jpg

8pmLSLJ.jpg

qLqio4n.jpg
Looks lovely and clean. Case must be absolutely massive it makes the 4090 look small

Back
Top Bottom