• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Intel sporadically introduced a 6 core around the sandy bridge platform as an "extreme cpu". Amd introduced an 8 core on a far more affordable level with ryzen. A 5960x just a few years previous cost around a grand vs around £325 for the 1700x. Then for skylake onwards it was all quad core until amd brought out ryzen which has octacore options that were far more affordable than Intel offerings.
Sporadically? They had a 6 core all the way from 2010, every single year. What do you mean sporadically? The 5820k in 2014 cost just a little bit more than AMD wanted to sell you their 6 core in 2022. Insane progress :D
Anyways, we are offtopic, and facts won't get me anywhere even if we were in the right topic, so let's leave it

Last edited:
Sporadically? They had a 6 core all the way from 2010, every single year. What do you mean sporadically? The 5820k in 2014 cost just a little bit more than AMD wanted to sell you their 6 core in 2022. Insane progress :D
Anyways, we are offtopic, and facts won't get me anywhere even if we were in the right topic, so let's leave it

I think you need to look at your "facts" they had hex and octacore sporadically, some platforms had them others didn't. They weren't a consistent offering.

Last edited:
The produced the best they could with the resources they had available, the cpu arena is where amd find it easier to get traction and sales vs the gpu arena. Had it not been for ryzen Intel would still be flogging us quad cores for stupid prices.
The strategy with ryzen which proved very successful was to offer more cores at cheaper prices than Intel and then raise prices once they gained enough market share/mindshare.

In the GPU market they show absolutely no ambition to gain market share and take the fight to Nvidia despite being left a huge opportunity to do so with all the negativity swirling around the ADA launch and many of their once loyal customers boycotting the new generation cards yet AMD are not offering those potential customers a credible alternative.

The strategy with ryzen which proved very successful was to offer more cores at cheaper prices than Intel and then raise prices once they gained enough market share/mindshare.

In the GPU market they show absolutely no ambition to gain market share and take the fight to Nvidia despite being left a huge opportunity to do so with all the negativity swirling around the ADA launch and many of their once loyal customers boycotting the new generation cards yet AMD are not offering those potential customers a credible alternative.

It stands to reason they would raise the prices with ryzen, as they get faster with more cores that's the obvious way to go. They're a business, not a charity.

As for the gpu market this is their first chiplet based gpu, they were probably a bit conservative with it as its a brand new tech they're in the process of getting to grips with. That being said 7900xtx is hardly a bad offering, though overpriced along with the nvidia alternatives. Both amd and nvidia are taking the **** with pricing, personally I hope it bites them both in the ass, in the case of the 4080 and the rebranded 4080 that seems to be the case with them mostly collecting dust. Same story with the xt.

Reactions: J.D
What are they doing exactly? People had mad expectations for the 7 series once they heard it was chiplet based and as usual the rumour mill went into overdrive long before amd's slightly shall we say "suss" way of drawing comparisons to older cards were published. But they now have a tech that nvidia (currently) don't have and rdna 3 is the starting point. Moving forward we might well get more powerful cards from amd as the tech evolves similar to how ryzen evolved from being "good" to kicking intel square in the knackers.
What are doing?
They are pricing everything badly (premium stuff and all that), even though they're not on par with competition and chiplets design should have allowed them to have better pricing.
Moreover they're badmouthing the competition when they're not better (aka cooling gate) and have learned nothing from their disaster with poor coolers such as the BBA R290/x.

But most importantly... Price. Ryzen was cheap compared to Intel overall (including the longevity of the platform). 7xxx is not. I don't see a reason why I should get an AMD GPU right now. None.

What are doing?
They are pricing everything badly (premium stuff and all that), even though they're not on par with competition and chiplets design should have allowed them to have better pricing.
Moreover they're badmouthing the competition when they're not better (aka cooling gate) and have learned nothing from their disaster with poor coolers such as the BBA R290/x.

But most importantly... Price. Ryzen was cheap compared to Intel overall (including the longevity of the platform). 7xxx is not. I don't see a reason why I should get an AMD GPU right now. None.

Explain how they have learned nothing with the coolers? MBA 6000 series had good coolers, this cooler was essentially more of the same, but a mistake with a third party vendor lead to replacements being needed. Hardly amds fault that someone working in a factory didn't put the correct amount of liquid into a vapor chamber.

Last edited:
What are doing?

The coolers are excellent outside of a defect in manufacturing. My 7900XT MBA was superb. The actual MBA cooler is great, so was it on the 6800/900/950.

The MBA 6900 was one of the quietest cards ever. LONG gone of the blower reference cards.

Last edited:
Explain how they have learned nothing with the coolers? MBA 6000 series had good coolers, this cooler was essentially more of the same, but a mistake with a third party vendor lead to replacements being needed. Hardly amds fault that someone working in a factory didn't put the correct amount of liquid into a vapor chamber.

The coolers are excellent outside of a defect in manufacturing. My 7900XT MBA was superb. The actual MBA cooler is great, so was it on the 6800/900/950.

The MBA 6900 was one of the quietest cards ever. LONG gone of the blower reference cards.

Guys, these should have not passed the QA test if tested properly. The cooler fails to do its job, is that simple. Doesn't matter if is quiet, you even a blower can be quiet, but it doesn't matter if the card is throttling.
3rd party coolers are good, but are too long.

Guys, these should have not passed the QA test if tested properly. The cooler fails to do its job, is that simple. Doesn't matter if is quiet, you even a blower can be quiet, but it doesn't matter if the card is throttling.

It was a defect in a small sample of cards. The manufacturer should have caught it, but the actual design is pretty good. Extremely compact and efficient for its size.

Like I said, it’s a whole world away from the reference cards of the past, even the 5700xt.

QA testing only really pulls out random cards to test, some factories literally just slot the card in to see if it outputs an image and then it's boxed up. There was a video on YouTube a few years back showing some gpu manufacture and that seemed to be how they went about it.

It was a defect in a small sample of cards. The manufacturer should have caught it, but the actual design is pretty good. Extremely compact and efficient for its size.

Like I said, it’s a whole world away from the reference cards of the past, even the 5700xt.
Didn't amd announce that they don't have cards to replace the defects? How can that be if its a small sample?

What do people consider the worst value then 4070Ti or the 4080? I am going to plump for one now that my 3080 is out..
You could pay £800+ for a 20% upgrade, £1200+ gets you 50% upgrade and £1600+ gets you a 100% upgrade. I know which one I’d be going for.

Last edited:
Didn't amd announce that they don't have cards to replace the defects? How can that be if its a small sample?

I assume that each board partner keeps some stock back for standard warranty, but the MBA is a one time run only, everything is probably made in one batch and that’s it. I imagine the requirements for the replacement cards exceeds their warranty stock, or they don’t want to use that up and have to manufacture another batch.

The 4070ti is the better value but if you already have a 3080 it ain't really worth the upgrade.
The 3080 has gone, I am now without GPU so I need to get one.
You could pay £800+ for a 20% upgrade, £1200+ gets you 50% upgrade and £1600+ gets you a 100% upgrade. I know which one I’d be going for.
I get you, 20% doesn't take into consideration DLSS3 and FG though does it? Both these things I class as important in the upgrade cycle.

Also, how are the cables these days? Was it all a case of not being plugged in properly?

Also, how are the cables these days? Was it all a case of not being plugged in properly?
There is variance between connectors so what it takes to "just plug it in" can vary a lot. The adapter that came with my 4090 required way too much force and never made a click sound or feel.

The Cablemod cable I'm using now was easy to insert and clicked as expected. Luck of the draw with these things I guess.

Still, as long as you are aware of the extra-special attention the connector requires and are careful to ensure it's plugged in and can't wiggle out, it should he fine.

Last edited:
The 3080 has gone, I am now without GPU so I need to get one.

I get you, 20% doesn't take into consideration DLSS3 and FG though does it? Both these things I class as important in the upgrade cycle.

I wouldn't have sold it before deciding on the card. How much did you sell it for?

The ideal card is probably the 7900 XTX at msrp which is £999. But it has only been that price on Day 1. At £1200 it's not that appealing.

If you like RT and FG then it's difficult as the 4080 isn't great value.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have sold it before deciding on the card. How much did you sell it for?

The ideal card is probably the 7900 XTX at msrp which is £999. But it has only been that price on Day 1. At £1200 it's not that appealing.

If you like RT and FG then it's difficult as the 4080 isn't great value.

I sold it for £500 - RT, DLSS and FG are favourable if I am honest and whilst I know the value of either of the cards isn't great I'm hoping it will take me to the 6 possibly 7 series cards.

Back
Top Bottom