• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
OP
Originally Posted by Boomstick777
I'm done with multi GPU setups. Just gonna go for the best single card each time. At the mo it's Titan Black, if these new cards are significantly faster I would consider switching, but price etc will come into it.

Maybe at 1080, which begs the question why you have a Black :p

Huh? Black copes very well @ 1440P, 290X was very good as well.

Always prefer single card over dual for gaming. Like two for benching, but with GPU's getting so powerful now and even more so going forward. I'm going to stick with best single GPU available at the time.

just looking at GK110, Tesla was November vs February for Titan so I guess Feb 2015 is possible if they release/announce a new Tesla by Q4.

In fact, depending on what competition they have by then, they might well release a Titan before they have fulfilled all their Tesla for supercomputers but price it so high it won't sell much. In other words, a spoiler launch if AMD releases a large 20nm die by then.

Yeah it's def a possibility. It will depend on what AMD put out as well. Hopefully AMD will put out a higher end GPU from the start, that way Nvidia wouldn't be able to get away with as much price gouging, and have to launch higher end Maxwell as a response rather than reserving the higher end tier for Titan (High price) status.

Tbh it might suit AMD just as much as Nvidia the way the past couple years have played out.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My predictions,

GTX 880 3200 cores 4GB/8GB 256bit/bus 28nm Q4 2014
GTX 870 3072 cores 4GB/8GB 256bit/bus 28nm Q4 2014

GTX Titan Ultra 3699 cores 8GB 512bit/bus 20nm Q1 2015 (Feb)

GTX 880 '20nm refresh' Q1/Q2 2015 (April/May)
GTX 870 '20nm refresh' Q1/Q2 2015 (April/May)

GTX 860 20nm Q1 2015
GTX 850 Ti 20nm Q1 2015

GTX 880 Ti 3496 cores 4GB/8GB 512bit/bus 20nm Q2/Q3 2015

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why do you have the Ti pegged as having substantially less cores than Titan Ultra? :)

They can just hobble DP performance to avoid cannibalising sales like they have done previously.

Yeah they could, just have a feeling Maxwell will be one complete arch on one gen, rather than spread over 2 gens like Kepler has been.

Kepler started > GTX 680 > 780 > 780 Ti. Titan and Titan Black etc.

I think Maxwell will run from top to bottom under 800 series brand. So GTX 870/880 2014 > GTX 880 Ti 2015 and only one Titan like card, probably under the 'ultra' moniker (Feb 2015). Plus a dual card later in 2015. Then move onto Pascal in 2016 rather than more Maxwell cards..

So GTX 880 Ti will be a step up from the GTX 880 but not quite as fast as the GTX Titan Ultra. Then Pascal will start from 2016 >

Maxwell 800 Series 2014/2015.
Pascal 900 Series 2016.

thOS3K8.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Pirate Islands coming Q2 2015 apparently, probably going to be 390X vs Titan Ultra then. It will look bad having a £1200* card either trading blows with or beaten by a ~£500 card so I think 880Ti would be put out with full fat and hobbled DP to be sold at a competitive price against the 390X.

Of course this is all wiiiiild speculation on my part. :p :cool:

*projected price

Prices look set to be lower with the new cards, not higher. Single GPU Titan Black is around £699 now. I very much doubt the next Single GPU Titan will nearly double in price, £1200? Yeah I don't think so..

Soldato
OP
I've heard this a couple time, but what incentive is there for either company to lower prices?

The genie is out of the bottle. They know now that they can sell cards from £700 to £3000. They know they can sell mid-range cards for £250. At today's prices we keep being told that cards are flying off the shelves.

So why would they reduce prices?

The upcoming first wave on Maxwell cards are looking likely on 28nm, it's very mature now and will be very cost effective for Nvidia. These cards will def come in cheaper.

GTX 880 4GB could come in at £350. GTX 870 4GB £300. Higher 8GB vram cards might be available which will cost a bit more due to vram cost.

Next year, by AMD / Nvidia holding out for 20nm so long, the prices won't be so high at launch either. Nvidia and AMD aren't having to soak up initial wafer prices with TSMC, Apple is doing that for them. By the time they get onto 20nm it should also be more cost effective than previous node transitions were as AMD / Nvidia were the first onto them soaking up the initial cost, they are not doing that this time around.

Soldato
OP
NVIDIA preparing four Maxwell GM204 SKUs [videocardz]

NVIDIA to skip 20nm fabrication process, third generation Maxwell to use 16nm?

Maxwell core is obviously much more power efficient than Kepler, thus the next flagship will most likely have less cores than full GK110 processor. This has not happened before.

'Well that could be my theory out the window :p. Although less cores and GTX 880Ti on 28nm seem very unlikely to me.. Videocardz with Semi Accurate as source, so large pinch of salt'.

http://videocardz.com/51009/nvidia-preparing-four-maxwell-gm204-skus

Soldato
OP
Would make far more sense based on the currently known information to have a round of GM204 on 28nm (the 750 must have been done for some reason as they wouldn't have done that lightly due to the whole lithography deal) then the full fat GK110 replacement on 16nm (due to the whole bitching about 20nm and full fat Maxwell suitability).

Maybe, TSMC are going to hit volume production of 16nm in 2015. God knows how long we would have to wait for GPU's on 16nm though.. Q4 2015? :eek:

Products manufactured using 16nm FinFET+ will offer up to 40 per cent speed improvement over chips made using 20nm technology.

^^ Could be a good reason to skip over 20nm...

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...ess-vows-to-start-10nm-production-in-q4-2015/

I still think we'll see 28nm cards this year, and some 20nm cards starting early next year with a Titan moniker card in Feb 2015.

16nm just seems to far out?

2014 28nm Maxwell
2015 20nm Maxwell
2016 16nm Pascal

Seems more realistic to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well some sources claim that nVidia was forced to rework the low and mid-range for 28nm as TSMC couldn't fit capacity for both the high end GPUs and the mid-range and below onto 20nm so they had to choose one or the other (in which case 20nm GPUs would start appearing early, really early, next year).

Its known nVidia was not happy at all with 20nm for the full fat Maxwell though - so it is (indeed) quite possible we'd see something like GTX880 - 28nm (Sept 2014), Titan - 20nm (Jan/Feb 2015), GTX980 (full fat Maxwell) - 16nm (2H 2015).

EDIT: Loads of edits as I've got a crappy cold and not making too much sense.

EDIT2: Given the tech they want to put on Pascal I'm not sure we'll see it before sub 16nm anyhow.

Yeah one thing is for sure though, whatever high end cards Nvidia and AMD put out next are going to have ridiculous performance. 290/290X and 780/780Ti/Titan already have awesome performance, This next round of high end cards are going to be even better. GPU's have come a long way in past few years. The race for decent performance at 4K should result in even better performance improvements over the next few years. Could see the lower end cards being able to cope with 1080P with ease.

Soldato
OP
Either way we are still being effected and I am not only taking about 20nm being late to the party.

How's about nvidia releasing a 680 as a flagship card, due to the 7970 not being released at its best performance. Also the longer gaps between next gen releases. The 7970 was amds top card for way too long (nearly two years). The gtx580 was just a refresh of the gtx480 and that lasted way too long. IMO things have slowed down allot and prices especially from nvidia have got silly.

I can see why things have slowed right down as these companies can recoup more cash for each cycle instead of moving forward and eating up more r&d costs. Slowing the market down is intentional in my eyes.

Either way I just want new, fast top end tech and not the drip feeding we have been getting lately. :(

I disagree, the GTX 680 was still a decent improvement over the GTX 580 in performance http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/772?vs=767 , and also performance per watt. Likewise the 7970 was night and day over the 6970 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/509?vs=508

Then the GTX 780 / 780 Ti and R9 290 R9 290X again improved significantly over the GTX 680 and 7970.

Compare that to CPU's progress and your talking maybe 5% IPC improvement per new arch and AMD seem to be going backwards :(

GPU's have progressed well even with die shrinks not being viable.

Soldato
OP
Def think we'll see a flagship in Feb, just in time for Witcher 3 (Nvidia Sponsored Title) and a great title to show what it's capable of.

Will be saving my pennies for this, hope I can resist the cards that come this year :p, cos you know whatever comes next year is going to be that much better.

Wander how Titan Black will fare against GTX 880 :confused:

Soldato
OP
***SNIP***

Obviously we would have all liked GK110 and 290X from the get go, point was the 7970 was a big improvement over the 6970 and likewise the GTX 680 over the 580. Performance per watt was massively improved. They weren't the full fat cards, and I was flamed for saying so at launch, funny how majority excepts that they weren't full fat now. Hindsight is a great thing for the fickle :p

AMD / Nvidia aren't obliged to give us everything all at once, they have to make money as well. R&D on these things is insane. GK110 and 290X came around quick enough, and if your not interested in more 28nm cards just wait until next year for 20nm/16nm. Time is flying by and they will be here soon enough.

We can all be impatient, and say they should do it all at once but at the end of the day 680 and 7970 were better than their predecessors, and likewise the 290X and 780Ti, and so on..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
you are going off on a tangent of what i was trying to get across when replying to Broomsticks original post where he mentioned he was impressed by the progress in gpus over the last few years..

Woh, woh woh dude, hold on a sec !

The first mistake you made was calling me Broomstick.. This isn't the nursery playground and only LTMatt gets that privilege. You are not LTMatt.

The second mistake you made was taking my comment out of context. I said that GPU progress was still good whilst in comparison to CPU progress, which is on AMD's side virtually non existent, and on Intel's side generally 5% per year. The 7970 and GTX 680 were improved over their predecessors. This is what I said and that was the context I used it in. Get it right next time boy :p

Now we have set this straight you and DM can continue with your argument. Or maybe do it via PM so this thread doesn't get do messy with personal comments etc. (Just a suggestion).

Peace.

Soldato
OP
Yes I have to agree with the above tbh.. debate and argue by all means but don't make it personal.

Indeed.. came in here expecting big news after all the new posts!

+1

Been doing my best to try and steer the thread back onto topic lol.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nvidia may Skip 20nm and go straight to 16nm finFET

GK104 may retire soon. 800 Series Incoming?

citing semiaccurate as a source (which sadly requires a paid subscription to access). They say that new 28nm based Nvidia GPUs will be made available starting in October of this year and will be using the GM204 GPU core with between 1920 to 2560 stream processing units. These GPUs are to be names as follows.

GeForce GTX 880 Ti
GeForce GTX 880
GeForce GTX 870
GeForce GTX 860

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles...ay_skip_20nm_and_go_straight_to_16nm_finfet/1

Soldato
OP
Dosent the 780ti have like 2800 shaders ? ( can't remember ) so why would the 880ti have 2500 ?

Maxwell shaders are rumored to have more performance so 2500 in theory could match '2880' 780 Ti / Titan Black performance couple that with less VRAM Bandwidth but extra cache to make up for it means the new cards would be using less power on a very mature 28nm with a lot less cost to manufacturer for Nvidia.

Looks like the real high end stuff (Significant jump over current cards) will come later..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom