• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
OP
GeForce GTX 880 ES Intercepted En Route Testing Lab, Features 8 GB Memory?

GeForce GTX 880 ES Intercepted En Route Testing Lab, Features 8 GB Memory?

An engineering sample (ES) of the GeForce GTX 880 was intercepted on its way from a factory in China, to NVIDIA's development center in India, where it will probably undergo testing and further development. The shipping manifest of the courier ferrying NVIDIA's precious package was sniffed out by the Chinese press. NVIDIA was rather descriptive about the ES, in its shipping declaration. Buzzwords include "GM204" and "8 GB GDDR5," hinting at what could two of the most important items on its specs sheet.

http://www.techpowerup.com/200505/g...n-route-testing-lab-features-8-gb-memory.html

Soldato
OP
Second generation Maxwell to support H.265

20nm parts later this year

We heard some rather interesting information for anyone who thinks that we need more than Full HD at 1920x1080 video. As you can imagine Nvidia is always thinking how to help the decoding process of the next generation codecs and since 4K video plays an important role in company's roadmap, it is not a big surprise to learn that the next generation Maxwell supports the H.265 codec.

Fudzilla so usual pinch of salt.. http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34697-second-generation-maxwell-to-support-h265

Soldato
OP
NVIDIA Maxwell GPUs Could Possibly Feature New Axial-Radial Hybrid Fan Solution

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-...xialradial-hybrid-fan-solution/#ixzz33OS9iYus

NVIDIA recently announced two new graphics card, their high-end GeForce GTX Titan Z and their entry level GeForce GT 740. These graphics card would be the last entry to Kepler series since NVIDIA plans to unveil the next generation Maxwell GPUs later this year.

NVIDIA GM200 (Maxwell Architecture, High-Performance for Telsa/Quadro Arrives later for Cosnumers, Successor of GK110)
NVIDIA GM204 (Maxwell Architecture, High-End Consumer, Successor of GK104, First GeForce 800 Series Products likely to feature)
NVIDIA GM206 (Maxwell Architecture, Performance Minded, Successor of GK206, Mid-Range GeForce 800 Series products to feature)
NVIDIA GM107/207 (Maxwell Architecture, Entry Level, Successor of GK107, Entry Level GeForce 800/700 Series To feature, Already introduced on GTX 750 Ti / GTX 750)

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-...xialradial-hybrid-fan-solution/#ixzz33OSaMHjp

w07iRLY.png

Soldato
OP
Nvidia Geforce GTX 880 and 800 Series to be More Powerful But Cheaper than the 700 Series

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-800-series-powerful-cheaper-700-series/#ixzz34TVJ4qeX

We have just received some really pleasant news on Nvidia’s Maxwell Architecture, the 20nm side of things to be exact. The new report basically mentions a few things; firstly, that the GTX 880 will be more powerful than the GTX 780, something common sense derives easily. And secondly that the GTX 880 will be cheaper than its 700 Series Counterpart.

Soldato
OP
Updated Export Data Confirms Nvidia Maxwell GM204 has 256Bit Bus Width – Where does that leave the GTX 880?

[Editorial] The GTX 880 could possibly have 384 TMUs and a 512 Bit Bus. But wait, it says 256 Bit on the heading? Well yes it does, and in all probability it will feature a 256 Bit bus, meaning the 512 Bit thing is just a rumor. Confused? I guess I better start from the beginning then.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/export-data-nvidia-maxwell-gm204-256bit-bus-width-where-gtx-880/#ixzz34eLxHnVa

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This reminds me of PCI-E slots, just because they are x16 does not mean they are any good.

No one in their right mind is going to want to use PCI-E 1.0 x16 but they will be quite happy to use PCI-E 3.0 x8.

So far we have only got tiny bits of the puzzle, lets wait until we have the full picture before we make our minds up.

Gonna try not to jump in first with the new cards. I wanna see what AMD have to offer as well. Tbh I'm happy with 290X performance level, cooler / quieter / less heat would be spot on.

Changing the subject, not long now... Come on England !!!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
OP
Playing well so far, we were closing them down a lot more early in the first half. Probably the heat getting to the players, slowing down a bit now. That goal was a beauty, Rooney's pass was spot on.

Soldato
OP
High End Flagship Core Maxwell GM200 on the 20nm Node Spotted in Shipping Data

Alright, when I was writing my previous editorial, I actually found something else too, namely the GM200 Core, in the shipping data. But since that warranted a post of its own, I refrained from mentioning it there. So heres the thing, The GM200 Core, or the ultra-high-end Maxwell Core (almost certainly 20nm), has been spotted in transit.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/high-end-flagsh...-20nm-spotted-in-shipping-data/#ixzz34gwENyjV

Soldato
OP
Big GM200 core on 20nm with 4GB+ / 512bit bus would make me upgrade on day one.

I think this is going to be a repeat of the last gens though, smaller GM204 followed by a GM200 based Titan card (High price). Then later next year a proper GM200 for the mainstream i.e GTX 880ti..

Milk and repeat.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's why I'm waiting this time. I'm in no rush to upgrade. My Asus 4gb Strikers will hold for me until early next year.

Would like to be able to do the same, but have a weakness for new GPU's :o

Plus 20nm hopefully will generate less heat than current cards. My 290X's could heat a stadium. Happy with the performance level but a pair of decent cool running / less power hogging 20nm GPU's would be ideal.

6GB+ thanks boom None of this small 4gb stuff imo for flagship cards

Would be nice but Nvidia always a bit stingy on the vram. The next Titan could well have 8GB and GM200 but likely have a massive price premium, the way things are going now it may even come in closer to the £1000 than the old Titan's did.

As for these cheaper cards rumors, I don't know if you guys remember pre GTX 680 launch, it started with a loads of rumors of a midrange card that was powerful and going to have excellent price. When Nvidia saw how lackluster the 7970 was, this midrange card became the GTX 680 and was priced as a high end model. Some will argue this but is an accepted fact by most that the GTX 680 was a midrange card clocked to compete with AMD's flagship 7970. The real high end cards GTX 780 780 ti became the next gen.

I'm not expecting cheaper prices anytime soon, if anything they are getting progressively worse each gen.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880 pictured?

DiOB9g8.jpg

Behold, the new NVIDIA graphics card has just been pictured. Thanks to Cloudfire, our dedicated contributor, we might be looking at the first pictures of the second generation Maxwell engineering sample.

A Chinese website called GamerSky has just posted what seems to be a GeForce GTX 880 engineering sample. Of course, we don’t know that for sure, but GamerSky crew titled their post exactly with such codename. We also have the picture of the GPU itself, and judging from the markings (1421A1), it was manufactured somewhere in the 21st week of this year.

http://videocardz.com/50980/nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-pictured

Soldato
OP
Rumored spec of the GTX 880, is putting out more G/Flps than Titan Black. If the reduced memory bus doesn't hold it back it should be a very quick card.

Looking forward to seeing the biggest part though, probably Q1 2015 (Titan) or Q3 2015 (GTX XXX).

QPhjjqp.png

Soldato
OP
I'd be surprised if the high end card is actually cheaper than the 780 ti when it came out.. in fact i doubt it very much, wouldn't surprise me in the least if they release another massively overpriced card like a Titan though.

Maybe best to wait for AMD to bring their card out as well to bring prices down to sane levels i guess.

I think if these cards are based on 28nm, they will come in cheaper than the GTX 780 and 780 Ti did. It will be very cost effective for Nvidia to use 28nm again.

Have a feeling the first 20nm card from Nvidia could come around Feb 2015, one under the Titan moniker and be an almost fully enabled Maxwell chip. The others will be 20nm die shrink of the GTX 870/880 around the same time.

This time I'm set on waiting for 20nm cards. The 28nm cards would have to be pretty special to tempt me from my Titan Black.

Probably gonna go Titan Black > Titan 'Maxwell' or Radeon X90X '20nm'.

Soldato
OP
:p Yeah sure boom ,, but in saying that your titan black should last awhile but we know you get the itch and if you get a good deal why not :)

Ha, I'm sure the new cards will be good, just not sure I want to rush in and buy them at launch if 20nm variants are gonna appear early next year. Pretty sure Nvidia will release another Titan flagship in Feb 2015, and although expensive it probably won't be matched until late 2015 or sometime in 2016. So I wanna try and hold out for that. AMD could pull out a monster on 20nm as well. Maybe even stacked vram. That would be tempting as well. Gonna do my best to skip over anymore 28nm cards lol.

Like you say though sometimes a good deal can make the difference. Price can be a game changer when it comes to what's worth buying..

Soldato
OP
One Titan Black is useless. Need at least three.

:p

I'm done with multi GPU setups. Just gonna go for the best single card each time. At the mo it's Titan Black, if these new cards are significantly faster I would consider switching, but price etc will come into it.

Well if it's allot faster than your titan then who cares if it's 28nm?

Agreed, have to see how the new cards overclock as well, how much vram etc. Not going back to 3GB that's for sure. 4GB at an absolute minimum.

Soldato
OP
Surely, there will be no GM100/GM110 Titan or Geforce until after all the Tesla orders have been filled? That has been Nvidia's mode of operations for a few gens now.

These leaked photos must surely be of a GM104 variant. Take GK104 at the 25% die space which GK107>GM107 implies and you get a die about this size. Now whether the things they did for GM107 to get huge bump in perf/watt will apply to GM104 is an unknown. Some of ideas will probably find their way to GM104 so expect enhanced caches and so on, but the real question is whether the GM107 design can scale perfectly or not.

Yeah the new Titan would likely be in Feb 2015 is what I'm saying if you read the bit you quoted me in.

The current rumors are in regard to GM204, a 28nm part coming this year, a new Titan could be on 20nm and be a near fully enabled Maxwell part in Feb 2015. The past two years Nvidia released a Titan in Feb. They have been very popular so I don't see Nvidia stopping doing it this time around. I guess it will depend on what AMD put out in terms of competition, could force Nvidia to change their plans.

Back
Top Bottom