• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
Well... I waited until now. And expectation is that the 3080Tis will have the same core count as the 3090. And Im pretty sure demand will be lower than 3080 launch as It is not generational leap launch. A lot of people already bought the first batch of 3080s. So these will not be part of the next one. I'm pretty sure there will be supply/demand shortages, but I expect It to be a lesser one, and as i wrote, I will judge if It will be worth depeding on Pricetag, Core Count and Launch date. Still undecided, but depending on those things, I think I can wait more.

I mean I don't see the attraction personally, haven't ever been playing and wish I had more VRAM on my GPU. Don't see any reviewers saying it needs more, and you're probably talking an extra 5 FPS if that over a 3080. Gap between the 3080 and 3090 is already pretty tiny even with over twice the VRAM and such a price jump.

If the Ti had the same amount of cores and like 20GB of VRAM like a lot of people are speculating they would just be bricking 3090 sales. What would be the point in that card anymore? An extra 4GB VRAM haha? I don't see that being the case, would be a pretty poor marketing decision.

Last edited:
Associate
I mean I don't see the attraction personally, haven't ever been playing and wish I had more VRAM on my GPU. Don't see any reviewers saying it needs more, and you're probably talking an extra 5 FPS if that over a 3080. Gap between the 3080 and 3090 is already pretty tiny with over twice the VRAM and such a price jump.

If the Ti had the same amount of cores and like 20GB of VRAM like a lot of people are speculating they would just be bricking 3090 sales. What would be the point in that card anymore? An extra 4GB VRAM haha? I don't see that being the case.

Well the 3090 would still have the higher bandwidth, which everyone seems to ignore - even though it affects performance more than vram amount. So it would still be the better card at certain tasks. The 3090 is aimed at a fairly narrow (but popular) type of "prosumer" that deals mainly in video. I'm a designer (25years) and I run about 10 popular graphics apps on a regular basis. This includes 3d, 2d work and video. But even I can't justify the price difference for the 3090 over the 3080. Because my use case doesn't ever need that amount of expensive vram, not even the 3d work. But I could make use of those extra cuda cores, so a £950/999 3080ti FE might be an interesting prospect. Though I'm under no illusion that it'll be easy to get one.

Last edited:
Associate
Well the 3090 would still have the higher bandwidth, which everyone seems to ignore - even though it affects performance more than vram amount. So it would still be the better card at certain tasks. The 3090 is aimed at a fairly narrow (but popular) type of "prosumer" that deals mainly in video. I'm a designer (25years) and I run about 10 popular graphics apps on a regular basis. This includes 3d, 2d work and video. But even I can't justify the price difference for the 3090 over the 3080. Because my use case doesn't ever need that amount of expensive vram, not even the 3d work. But I could make use of those extra cuda cores, so a £950/999 3080ti FE might be an interesting prospect. Though I'm under no illusion that it'll be easy to get one.

Yeah everyone seems to think having all this extra VRAM is a deal breaker. Yet the 3090 has 24GB of it Vs 10GB and is still only about 10% faster on average in most games with extra cores, bandwidth etc. 15% at the very most in a few titles. The amount of extra VRAM it has isn't that relevant in it's performance difference so I don't get the obsession with the topic. I do get why the 3090 is there, but if you're just gaming the 3090 is a terrible buy. Saying that it is marketed as that, not as a professional Titan like card.

Last edited:
Associate
@Gibbo Do gigabyte eagles actually exist?
If they don't come in are we able to change to Asus Tuf which seems to be coming in at an order of magnitude in comparison.
I've been quiet and patient since launch day but my patience has run out. I need answers at this point.
I'm #50'ish in the queue.

Associate
Yeah everyone seems to think having all this extra VRAM is a deal breaker. Yet the 3090 has 24GB of it Vs 10GB and is still only about 10% faster on average in most games. 15% at the very most in a few titles. The amount of extra VRAM it has isn't that relevant in it's performance difference so I don't get the obsession with the topic. I do get why the 3090 is there, but if you're just gaming the 3090 is a terrible buy. Saying that it is marketed as that, not as a professional Titan like card.

My limited understanding is that more gigabytes will simply allow more textures or higher resolution textures. So if to render a certain scene you need 1000 textures of 10Mb each then the 3080 will do, whereas if the developer provides 15Mb textures for a given surface you will need to 'do something'.

I assume that a game developer could theoretically recompress textures, either on the fly, or on first run, or provide multiple texture packs (ultra, high, medium..) to fit in the available memory but if they are lazy then you have a problem.

Associate
I’m waiting to hear on this as well. Been position 30 for a month now for the ASUs 3070 dual non oc. I sent a message to the customer services asking about the upgrade but not had any or replies yet
ive been 6th in the queue for the last month now. was hoping to see it before christmas but the shipments we were told about have just disappeared and now we are getting the upgrades instead. im happy about the free upgrades but just slightly annoyed with how low i am in the queue for this long

Associate
That was before Christmas he’s talking about ones that are actually due in :)
To be honest I was talking just in general. I did see those 20 listed but I'm not sure that really even makes a dent over a 3 month period.
Surely we are not going to wait another 2 or 3 months for another 20pcs. I just don't know what to do, cancel and try my luck for an FE or hang in for another eternity.

I also don't see anybody making any noise on the forum about the eagles so felt the need to do so.

OcUK Staff
I’m waiting to hear on this as well. Been position 30 for a month now for the ASUs 3070 dual non oc. I sent a message to the customer services asking about the upgrade but not had any or replies yet

We have 350 back orders on ASUS Dual 3070 none OC and so far only around 50 of the OC variant in stock so was waiting on more stock to arrive until I started doing upgrades but to help you guys out as your quite low in the queue I’ll try to upgrade 40-50 of the ASUS Dual 3070 none oc to the OC cards tomorrow. :)

OcUK Staff
@Gibbo Do gigabyte eagles actually exist?
If they don't come in are we able to change to Asus Tuf which seems to be coming in at an order of magnitude in comparison.
I've been quiet and patient since launch day but my patience has run out. I need answers at this point.
I'm #50'ish in the queue.

we have had some Eagles but not recently and Figabyte have still not updated me yet on what to expect but sure they will do.

As to changing to a different card / brand all together that’s not possible unless cancelling and re ordering as it’s not fair on the people in the queue for the other brand to have others just push in front and would cause further uproar.

The problem is 3080 numbers incoming are small and way way below what’s required, the yields are either poor or it’s something else.

Associate
@Gibbo - QQ: historically speaking, how long between your being notified of an asus shipment incoming, and those cards going out from your warehouse to the customer?

Yesterday you mentioned '70 TUF OC ordered and shipped to us'... when do you expect those to have left your warehouse, recognizing of course that things could go wrong - covid or otherwise

Associate
To be honest I was talking just in general. I did see those 20 listed but I'm not sure that really even makes a dent over a 3 month period.
Surely we are not going to wait another 2 or 3 months for another 20pcs. I just don't know what to do, cancel and try my luck for an FE or hang in for another eternity.

I also don't see anybody making any noise on the forum about the eagles so felt the need to do so.
I make noise about them because I’m 13th ish in the queue and an getting rather fed up too. In my opinion if you’re over position 50 you’ll be waiting a while, but then again that’s a guess lol. Do what you feel is best, but the FE drops sell out instantly

Back
Top Bottom