• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
How can you NOT get at least 8000 on memory? I've not seen a single report of a card which says that isn't possible.

Core on the other hand changes a lot.

I can get my memory to +625 with no artefacts but the core tops out at 1597. That said it's benched heaven 4 at 1607 or something before so go figure.

My Mem tops out about +625 on stock volts and the core about 1645-1650 on stock volts.

I think most cards are hitting 8000 but not everyone.

Permabanned
Any news on custom bios?

Not yet, we can make them we just can't flash them due to certificate signatures not matching, to actually flash them one of 2 things needs to happen

1. We need a DOS version of NvFlash that supports flashing Maxwell as the one that currently works with Maxwell is windows based.

2. The windows version of NVFlash that we have needs to support the 'force flash' command as it doesn't in it's current form.

Once we get either one of those it'll be all good.

Soldato
Hmm if I wasn't worried about bricking my card I'd flash my MSI with the Gigabyte bios.

Apparently you can uninstall the nvidia drivers, then use the new nvflash to flash the cards and that works. However you cannot flash an edited bios, it has to be a non edited, stock bios as currently the bios editors save the file in the wrong manor.

From my understanding that would mean flashing a MSI card with the gigabyte bios and vice versa should work HOWEVER obviously they are different pcb/layouts and I presume components are different so whether it would actually work or not I don't know.

I'm holding out until a bios editor saves a custom bios in the correct format.

Associate
I only noticed it started happening yesterday (I think). There are other reports of it happening, so I thought I would give it a day or two to see what it turned out to be.

EDIT: oh, and Overclockers are out of stock too :p

Just shipping it off for RMA now :( Poor card, it was doing so well with the overclocking as well.

Soldato
Just to confirm nvflash DOES work but as expected it won't flash custom edited bios'

So either you flash with a stock bios (which i'd strongly suggest you avoid doing with the rather large chance of bricking your card if it doesn't work) or wait for a program to be released which will save the bios with the correct checksum.

ta07pg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Just to confirm nvflash DOES work but as expected it won't flash custom edited bios'

So either you flash with a stock bios or wait for a program to be released which will save the bios with the correct checksum.

Out of interest what did you flash to the card? just a copy of it's existing BIOS? or a compatible BIOS from another card?

Soldato
Ahh I see, figured as much :)

It's kind of lol that MSI are brining out a new Gaming LE which is basically just the Gaming with lower clocks in the BIOS (same thing they did with the 680 Lightning/PE) as people are just going to flash them to full speed Gaming editions (as they did with the Power edition - Lightning situation lol).

Last edited:
Associate
So, would the MSI bios work on the ASUS card?

Just wondering as it will give me way more TDP limit.

On a side note. If power WAS an issue. Couldn't I just mod the 8 pin power connector with 4 pins from 1 8 pin and another 4 from another? I.e Split the load? or would that just be an absolutely stupid thing to do?

Soldato
So, would the MSI bios work on the ASUS card?

Just wondering as it will give me way more TDP limit.

On a side note. If power WAS an issue. Couldn't I just mod the 8 pin power connector with 4 pins from 1 8 pin and another 4 from another? I.e Split the load? or would that just be an absolutely stupid thing to do?

That's just it, I don't know how a bios from a different manufacture would work on a different card and I don't want to try in case it bricks the card.

I don't think you'd be able to increase the ASUS card that much as your really limited in power to the card.

Using two cables instead of one on the same connector won't make any difference.

Associate
That's just it, I don't know how a bios from a different manufacture would work on a different card and I don't want to try in case it bricks the card.

I don't think you'd be able to increase the ASUS card that much as your really limited in power to the card.

Using two cables instead of one on the same connector won't make any difference.

Well i'm under water so temps are non issue. I just want to see where I can push it since I don't have any power going to the fans or anything.

Soldato
Well i'm under water so temps are non issue. I just want to see where I can push it since I don't have any power going to the fans or anything.

I'd wait. Hell I don't even think mine needs to go under water a the moment, benching and gaming it doesn't go above 63 degrees which is cool in my eyes.

I know it's frustrating but it's much safer simply editing your stock bios than it is taking the chance that a different stock bios will work.

Back
Top Bottom