• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I'm about to pickup my preorded Strix tomorrow, but just found out there's the Gigabyte G1 for the same price (~255 each)

torn now...what do I do? I want the 0 fan mode on Strix and had great experience with Asus, but GB is prob a better clocker.

the Strix looks better/ smaller and dead quiet whilst gaming, fans hardly turning in Sniper Elite 3 !!!!...........BUT.....does not overclock as far as it should considering the size of its cooler :eek: it's very silly really because it's max overclock/loading is at 67 degrees, yet it has a cooler that looks like it's designed for 90 degrees :confused:

what can i add to this.............fantastic backplate/ metal cooler cover and looks really nice, finally :- it's not exactly slow is it, it's almost the same as the 7990.........just wait till you get two of them

Last edited:
Soldato
i cant wait to get my G1 card, gonna overclock the knackers off it! (well a nice amount, not the max lol)

what is the max these cards can run at before you have to lower the clocks a bit?

its going to be a lot cooler than my msi 290 but i dont wanna ramp it up anywhere near the 290 temps

Soldato
Guys you lot are scaring me with this flashing BIOS's between brands so let me get this out there.

Do NOT flash your card with the BIOS from another vendor!

MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS all use DIFFERNET PCB's, Voltage controllers, VRM's...etc..etc..

Flashing either cards BIOS onto another WILL BRICK YOUR CARD, DO NOT DO IT.

I have flashed my reference Palit GTX970 to the Palit GTX970 Jet Stream card and it worked because my Palit reference card and the Palit Jet Stream cards have the SAME, IDENTICAL PCB.

So if the card who's BIOS you're thinking of flashing does not have an IDENTICAL PCB to your card then DO NOT flash the BIOS's.

Glad I got that off my chest.

The above is very good advice however if anyone is dumb enough to flash the wrong BIOS to their card, the process for de-bricking an Nvidia GPU is as follows:

1: Remove the bricked GPU

2: Either get your system running off the iGPU, or if you have a P67/X58/X79/X99 board then install another PCI/PEG GPU and run off that and make sure it's default in the motherboard BIOS.

3: Put the bricked GPU back in.

4: Make a bootable DOS USB drive, and copy Nvflash to it along with a copy of your original BIOS (at the time of writing the is no Maxwell ready DOS version of nvflash yet).

5: Reboot, flash the BIOS (of the bricked card!), then shut down.

6: Reboot, return all settings to previous and enjoy.

Soldato
The biggest contributing factor on these cards when it comes to overclocking is GPU silicon lottery.

These I believe are also 980 PCB ;)

If that was the case (which is a contributing factor) then why are the better designed power phases clocking better? Even you have proven this.

These will be good where airflow isn't the best in cases and even better for those small form factor builds.

Back
Top Bottom