• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Great replies guys, cheers :)

I think I'll wait for custom BIOS so I can just edit the MSI one, I don't want to risk damaging the card in any way...

Deleted member 66701

Deleted member 66701

MSI 970 up another £8, glad I got my preorder in :)

I knew they would.

I swapped my pre-order from the MSI to the Galax OC - reports on toher forums it's an even better OC'er than the MSI cards. Not bother about the cooling as both are mine are going under EK Thermospehere water blocks - should dispatch today hopefully!

Soldato
I'm about to pickup my preorded Strix tomorrow, but just found out there's the Gigabyte G1 for the same price (~255 each)

torn now...what do I do? I want the 0 fan mode on Strix and had great experience with Asus, but GB is prob a better clocker.

OcUK Staff
I'm about to pickup my preorded Strix tomorrow, but just found out there's the Gigabyte G1 for the same price (~255 each)

torn now...what do I do? I want the 0 fan mode on Strix and had great experience with Asus, but GB is prob a better clocker.

Much better chance of better OC on Gigabyte, power design is miles ahead of the Asus.

Soldato
Would you think there's a chance of modded BIOS to bring the 0 fan mode to other cards including GB?

if I want SLI later on, which would be better card to go for? still GB?

Soldato
Would you think there's a chance of modded BIOS to bring the 0 fan mode to other cards including GB?

if I want SLI later on, which would be better card to go for? still GB?

Once custom BIOS are flashable then yes as it's simply a case of lowering the minimum fan speed to 0%.

Associate
Do we know which cards have multi bios's ? Coming from AMD cards i really like the dual bios feature.
I did read the Gigabyte had a dual bios , from the Anandtech review the Evga FTW 970 has triple bios's.
How about the MSI etc

Permabanned
Guys you lot are scaring me with this flashing BIOS's between brands so let me get this out there.

Do NOT flash your card with the BIOS from another vendor!

MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS all use DIFFERNET PCB's, Voltage controllers, VRM's...etc..etc..

Flashing either cards BIOS onto another WILL BRICK YOUR CARD, DO NOT DO IT.

I have flashed my reference Palit GTX970 to the Palit GTX970 Jet Stream card and it worked because my Palit reference card and the Palit Jet Stream cards have the SAME, IDENTICAL PCB.

So if the card who's BIOS you're thinking of flashing does not have an IDENTICAL PCB to your card then DO NOT flash the BIOS's.

Glad I got that off my chest.

Soldato

The cheaper Gigabyte might not be the G1. The Windforce 3 card has the same cooler but has lower clocks and is missing the backplate.

Might be worth checking.

OcUK Staff
Guys you lot are scaring me with this flashing BIOS's between brands so let me get this out there.

Do NOT flash your card with the BIOS from another vendor!

MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS all use DIFFERNET PCB's, Voltage controllers, VRM's...etc..etc..

Flashing either cards BIOS onto another WILL BRICK YOUR CARD, DO NOT DO IT.

I have flashed my reference Palit GTX970 to the Palit GTX970 Jet Stream card and it worked because my Palit reference card and the Palit Jet Stream cards have the SAME, IDENTICAL PCB.

So if the card who's BIOS you're thinking of flashing does not have an IDENTICAL PCB to your card then DO NOT flash the BIOS's.

Glad I got that off my chest.

He is spot on!

970's vary vastly, they are built on 760, 770, 780 and even 980 PCB's. They all use different VRM's as well.

Bricked cards due to in-appropriate BIOS flashing won't be accepted under RMA either as the manufacturer can detect the incorrect BIOS.

Soldato
The G1 is a great card and I would rate it over the MSi tbh.
well, I'm not even thinking of MSI. I'm getting EVGA G2 PSU with 0 fan mode, so it would go nicely with Strix I ordered with its 0 fan mode, but if G1 is at same price...I had great experience with all my past GPUs which were Asus, that is why I'm still undecided.

Soldato
I have the G2 850w PSU it's a superflower in disguise.

Tbh the G1 is so quite at idle without looking I doubt you could tell if the fans were spinning tbh.

I'm sure the Asus is fine I have not had a play with one so can only compare the MSi to Gigabyte G1.

Back
Top Bottom