• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Just how much of a boost would i get upgraded from dual 5850's?

Been holding off as nothing really struggles gamewise but the 970 has really tempted me.

Soldato
That and the MSI gaming, I prefer the G1.

Thanks Raven :)

I'm going to ask what may appear to be a daft question! I've heard mention of ACX 1.0 and ACX 2.0. Someone mentioned earlier they wanted to wait for 2.0. What's the difference?

-edit- scratch that. Google told me, though i'm unsure how the gigabyte's fans compare to EVGA's ACX2.0.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Raven :)

I'm going to ask what may appear to be a daft question! I've heard mention of ACX 1.0 and ACX 2.0. Someone mentioned earlier they wanted to wait for 2.0. What's the difference?

-edit- scratch that. Google told me, though i'm unsure how the gigabyte's fans compare to EVGA's ACX2.0.

User review below, big overclock and silent fans, the giga is good.

Check his OC out, 1674 core at 64c :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYNA78wYt4o&list=LLqCGD_GJ387_iYWT4gaG0uA&index=2

1vIQ3fu.png

Last edited:
Associate
Just tried BF4 (5760x1080, Ultra settings, 4xMSAA). Solid 60fps. Used up 3.1GB of Vram! Thing I'm not sure of... max gpu 1 temp 70 degrees, max gpu 2 temp 53 degrees... thats a 17 degree difference! I've SLI'd the last 3 computers and always had a eg 7 degree difference but 17 seems a lot!?

I read somewhere if you register with EVGA they will send you out the back plates to fit yourself? Maybe the coolers are so good they are blowing a load of hot air onto the card in front!?

Associate
Not an owner yet but will be soon. I have been looking at getting the EVGA ACX 2.0 model when it comes out. But when I read and watch the reviews on the G1 i am really getting tempted at going for that too. Thing that is pushing me away from EVGA is reports that the ACX cooler on the 970s is loud, the vids i have seen at G1 the noise levels are low.

Gigabyte have a UK RMA?

Caporegime
Just tried BF4 (5760x1080, Ultra settings, 4xMSAA). Solid 60fps. Used up 3.1GB of Vram! Thing I'm not sure of... max gpu 1 temp 70 degrees, max gpu 2 temp 53 degrees... thats a 17 degree difference! I've SLI'd the last 3 computers and always had a eg 7 degree difference but 17 seems a lot!?

I read somewhere if you register with EVGA they will send you out the back plates to fit yourself? Maybe the coolers are so good they are blowing a load of hot air onto the card in front!?

Those temps are pretty decent, and a gap like that is pretty much to be expected. Get similair on the pair in sig, though the top one does hit the high 70's at times.

Associate
Not an owner yet but will be soon. I have been looking at getting the EVGA ACX 2.0 model when it comes out. But when I read and watch the reviews on the G1 i am really getting tempted at going for that too. Thing that is pushing me away from EVGA is reports that the ACX cooler on the 970s is loud, the vids i have seen at G1 the noise levels are low.

Gigabyte have a UK RMA?

Yes Gigabyte do have a UK RMA centre.

Associate
Those temps are pretty decent, and a gap like that is pretty much to be expected. Get similair on the pair in sig, though the top one does hit the high 70's at times.

Ah, phew. Cheers. I was ready to take the cards back out and check over them again! I'm really paranoid, I don't know how everyones Gigabyte, MSI, etc cards arrived but the EVGA had about 5 individual pieces of plastic you are supposed to remove before using! Some of them are tiny. Hoping I haven't missed any.

Caporegime
Yep, my board has a pretty narrow gap between the gpu's so the top one hasn't much room to breathe. Looking into improving case air intake to help. Got a pair of Silverstone air penetrator fans in gonna use as intakes. Great fans for focusing air at gpu's. Removing any unused hdd bays can help too.

Associate
Loving how quiet my MSI 970 gamer is,My 7970 was quite loud once it got to 40% fan speed..once it was 50 and beyond it got annoying.This card though i cant even hear it when i bench firestrike.
Do you overclock these Nvidia cards with afterburner? just move the slider as before and the boost clock sorts it's self out?

Soldato
Anyone own a Corsair 540 and are using one of the new 970 cards?

I am thinking of buying a couple of the G1 970's, but concerned about the length of the cards. Will these fit ok or will it be a bit of a struggle, especially as I would want to fit 2 cards in.

Back
Top Bottom