• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Received an MSI GTX 970 Gaming today from ocuk but not installed it yet as it doesn't appear to be brand new.
Box has clearly been opened, the static bag is torn and the blue dust covers for the ports and PCI interface were rattling around in the box...
Guessing I got someone's return or has anyone else received theirs in this state?

Associate
HEY guys I just got my 970 MSI Gaming its currently at stock how far can I push this bad boy what's the average overclock people getting?

I don't know about other people but most of my games seem to be stable between 1515 core..

Applying voltage on the stock bios yielded no improvements for me, via other means... I was able to achieve an extra 15 or so mhz in testing so far. Which for the heat/voltage increases is not worth it.
Seems the silicon lottery is the biggest factor in OCing my 970. (ASIC 69% if your interested, I've read a lot of threads and although it's not an accurate indicator you can bet a 80% is going to be better than 65% for sure - See GPU-Z or w/e for yours).

Funny thing is, I can bench certain applications/games at about 1540 (give or take a few mhz) but games are not stable at anything more than 1515 exactly! (even taking it to 1516 introduces sporadic driver lockups/grey screens etc).

Memory on the over hand for me seems to be fine at 7900 - 7950 ish atm, maybe I can push it higher but the increases wouldn't be worth it at all for cooling reasons.

TLDR: I can get early 1500's game stable, benchmark frequency's are deceiving and my card doesn't like voltage.

Soldato
Guys I'm a bit confused.

I've just received, and installed, my Gigabyte G1 970. From reviews (and official specs) I thought it came preclocked at 1329 MHz core and 7Ghz memory.

However when I just ran Unigine it's reporting a core clock of over 1500 Mhz and after 45 seconds the PC crashed (not surprised at that clock speed).

Why is a brand new (apparently) G1 970 clocked so high?

hnG1itk.png

(Pertinent notes - Rig in question is in sig. I used DDU to remove all aspects of previous cards which were two AMD 280x's. I've no overclocking/monitoring tools installed)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom