• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Thanks for the help, Mal. The reason I prefer the Asus to the MSI is the single power connector (the less cables, the better), all-metal construction and a backplate (I don't think having 4 memory chips totally exposed and prone to damage is a good idea, especially in a supposedly premium product). I also plan to go SLI somewhere down the road, so having less power connectors is definitely a nice bonus.

Plus, my build is almost entirely black (case, cables, everything) and the card should match my Z97-Pro;p It seems monstruous though, I may have to buy a different case because it might not fit in my Thermaltake A90;/

glad i could help my man :D

the card is plain looking but top quality, the backplate looks awesome and it has a metal cooler cover too, it's heavy and sturdy, it looks miles better than either the 7990 or the 7970 Dual X.

it's actually 3 slots deep but quite short, only slightly wider than the mobo, it goes well with the Megahalems black and the Socforce mobo.

it's too late i think for the MSI Lightning 290x, because that's the only other card worth having.

Temps are 8C less on MSI when Overclocked and 4C less on stock clocks.
Also Asus is louder than MSI for me.
OC wise is very similar but........ Asus has power Limit set up lower at 170W vs 200W on MSI cards and under load Asus boost is dropping down from 1578 to 1550 MHz.Also I have much better Fire stike score on MSI (even with lower clocks) than on Asus.
MSI OC 1558 MHz/7600 and Asus 1578/8000 - score different was nearly 300 better on MSI.

nope, you dont understand what i'm saying, no card can be quieter than my Asus Strix.... it is dead silent..........the MSI can only be the same or louder..fact.

yours is louder than the MSI..... you've got it overclocked too far or it's faulty, or i'm just very lucky !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
nope, you dont understand what i'm saying, no card can be quieter than my Asus Strix.... it is dead silent..........the MSI can only be the same or louder..fact.

yours is louder than the MSI..... you've got it overclocked too far or it's faulty, or i'm just very lucky !!!!!!!!

My 970's are water cooled so I think there can be quieter cards then yours ;)

glad i could help my man :D

the card is plain looking but top quality, the backplate looks awesome and it has a metal cooler cover too, it's heavy and sturdy, it looks miles better than either the 7990 or the 7970 Dual X.

it's actually 3 slots deep but quite short, only slightly wider than the mobo, it goes well with the Megahalems black and the Socforce mobo.

it's too late i think for the MSI Lightning 290x, because that's the only other card worth having.

3 slots? Isn't the Strix cooler on the 970 a dual slot design, Mal? Judging by the official measurements from Asus (28 x 14 x 4) it should be barely thicker than my 7850. What I'm quite worried about is the card's length. Official specs of the Armor A90 list max GPU length at 260mm but the blokes at Thermaltake say that a 280mm card should fit once I move my HDD to a different cage. From what I measured, there's about 29-30 cm of space (being optimistic) for the card providing the HDD is moved out of the way.

Sorry for bothering you but can you confirm that the card is 28 cm long? It's a bit difficult to visualise the size of a GPU without holding it in your own hands and I'm worried that I'll be terrified by its size once I unbox it;p

In Idle yes, no card can be quieter or louder as it is is passive.
Under load - How do you know that no card can be quieter than your Asus?Did u own any other brand oh GTX970?

Last edited:
3 slots? Isn't the Strix cooler on the 970 a dual slot design, Mal? Judging by the official measurements from Asus (28 x 14 x 4) it should be barely thicker than my 7850. What I'm quite worried about is the card's length. Official specs of the Armor A90 list max GPU length at 260mm but the blokes at Thermaltake say that a 280mm card should fit once I move my HDD to a different cage. From what I measured, there's about 29-30 cm of space (being optimistic) for the card providing the HDD is moved out of the way.

Sorry for bothering you but can you confirm that the card is 28 cm long? It's a bit difficult to visualise the size of a GPU without holding it in your own hands and I'm worried that I'll be terrified by its size once I unbox it;p

sorry it is 2 slots deep; my fault, the GPU looks deeper at 10ft away, yes it is 28 cm long so you're ok there.

Last edited:
I'm thinking as I will not be oc my 970, the one I will go for will be the GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 simply becuase it's the fastest out the box?

Anyone own one and be able to tell me about noise levels?

Also Im looking on the EVGA website for bios's but cant for the life of me find them.

Anyone know where I can find them?

So is the Asus Strix GTX 970 the quietest in the 970 range?

I want the quietest card I can get. Reading above, Mal X seems pretty convinced it's dead silent.

sorry it is 2 slots deep; my fault, the GPU looks deeper at 10ft away, yes it is 28 cm long so you're ok there.

Good to know, thanks mate. I think I should be able to squueze it in. If not, then I'll just buy a new case, I'll need something more spacious for SLI anyways.

As requested by a few people, my BIOS can be downloaded HERE

- 1.275v
- SLI voltage bug fixed
- Boost disabled
- Memory clock default at 8Ghz
- Power limit raised

Use at your own risk! Will only work on the Palit cards with a radial blower, due to fan settings it's not ideal for the Jetstream model and will need some tweaking.

Back
Top Bottom