• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Caporegime
OP
Associate
So my MSI 970 arrived yesterday, but when i'm gaming it makes this strange high pitch buzzing/screeching noise. Is this the dreaded coil whine?

Is it reason enough to RMA it?

Caporegime
OP
Most of them with the higher stock boost clocks allow +87mv, the two Pelinox has linked, the MSI, and I imagine a couple of the others do as well.

Someone has found voltage tables up to 1.312v which is promising if an unlocked bios appears. I'd imagine you'll see 1800mhz+ clocks at that voltage under water.

Associate
Can someone who has OC'd to 1500 with an MSI model give me their exact Afterburner settings? I'm supposed to get the boost value to 1500 MHz right? Do I change the power limit? Not used to OC'ing Nvidia cards.

Caporegime
OP
Don't look at the boost value on the 1st tab of GPU-Z as that's wrong, I'd put the power limit at 110% and leave the voltage stock for now. Run a full screen game and check the 2nd tab on GPU-Z (Sensors) and see what it boosts too. That way you can tell how much you need to add on the slider in afterburner.

Associate
Don't look at the boost value on the 1st tab of GPU-Z as that's wrong, I'd put the power limit at 110% and leave the voltage stock for now. Run a full screen game and check the 2nd tab on GPU-Z (Sensors) and see what it boosts too. That way you can tell how much you need to add on the slider in afterburner.

Thanks. Is +235 about right? I don't quite understand the memory clock though. How do I find the correct reading for that? People are saying they have theirs at 8000 MHz but GPU-Z is reporting 1753 MHz at stock. Do I have to multiply that by something to get the correct value?

Associate
Hi guys, just playing with my new Gigabyte Windforce 970 and 4790K which arrived yesterday

Just got 11271 on Firestrike with stock volts and a mild 100mhz overclock on core and mem.
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4109837

What is quite incredible though is the fact it didn't go over 58 degrees....!
The best I got out of my 290 was 10500 and temp was in the 90's

I feel I have only just scratched the surface...

STUNNING

Associate
Thanks. Is +235 about right? I don't quite understand the memory clock though. How do I find the correct reading for that? People are saying they have theirs at 8000 MHz but GPU-Z is reporting 1753 MHz at stock. Do I have to multiply that by something to get the correct value?

Yeah multiply by 4 as the GPU mem runs at Quad Data Rate (QDR)

Caporegime
OP

+235 will be making it boost close to 1600mhz.

Memory clock you times by 4, so you need 2000mhz for 8000mhz effective.

Back
Top Bottom