• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Caporegime
So the question i have as a prospective 970 buyer.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-010-GX&tool=3&page=4

For the Coil Whine policy

or

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-009-GX&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1010

For teh unlocked voltage, is it likely to make a significant difference?

Whats the system specs you have? what PSU and what case etc.

Do you want to overclock a lot or do you just want a card that is solid, quiet and does a good job as I can list a few that are cheaper and will do an excellent job.

Associate
Whats the system specs you have? what PSU and what case etc.

Do you want to overclock a lot or do you just want a card that is solid, quiet and does a good job as I can list a few that are cheaper and will do an excellent job.

Vengence C70 Case 3 Intake/1 Exhaust
I5 4690K @ 4.5ghz
Raijintek Triton - Stock fans replaced (pushing air up out the case)
MSI Gaming Z97-G45
EVGA NEX 650G

Im a tinker, i like to tweak and test, so I'll be overclocking whichever card i get, however the quieter the cooling system the better

Last edited:
Associate
New to pc gaming. Just got my new display (1440p) and just wondered if you use dsr? Any tips on set up please. I play Mad Max, Skyrim, ESO, Grid Autosport and MGS5.

Thanks.

Soldato
So starting tomorrow, it'll have been a year since the GTX970 was released.

I ordered my MSI 970 like 2 days into its availability(from here, of course!). Really surprised to see that it's only £10 cheaper now than what I bought it for. It's both impressive that it has kept its value for so long and also depressing that the GPU game clearly has slowed down that a year old card can still be a viable product in its performance range for the same price it was at launch. I suppose you could argue that the 970 was priced aggressively from the get-go, which meant that any price drop would have been unlikely in any short term, which is a big reason I jumped in right away, but I kinda figured the competition would have moved on a bit by now.

Either way, I'm still super happy with the purchase. Was a really impressive leap up from a GTX670 and nearly guarantees 60fps in any modern game(which is what I wanted it for) at 1080p(and sometimes even at 1440p). It's still going strong, and despite having it underclocked to reference clock speeds for the time being(for stability in The Witcher 3, which doesn't seem to like OC's), it's still performed like a champ in whatever I've thrown at it. The big 3.5GB vRAM scare has proven to be a complete non-issue in my use cases, even as somebody who likes to play a lot of the latest games. And it should hopefully do me just fine for the initial 6 months or so after we get consumer VR headsets.

At which point I will probably be eager to upgrade to a 14/16nm HBM2 card(for better VR and for my planned upgrade to a 1440p monitor) and my 970 will be sold off to a new home.

I think this card will go down as one of the 'great' GPU's. I'm sure it'll prove competitive for a while still and there's no indication that it will even need another price drop for the next 6-9 months.

Last edited:
Soldato
After much deliberation, I finally decided to get a gigabyte g1 gtx 970. This will now be my 3rd gigabyte card after the windforce 7950 and windforce gtx 570.

I decided that for 1080p that this was excellent for the money. I looked at the gtx 980, buy couldn't justify paying £100 extra for such a small increase in performance.

Associate
So starting tomorrow, it'll have been a year since the GTX970 was released.

I ordered my MSI 970 like 2 days into its availability(from here, of course!). Really surprised to see that it's only £10 cheaper now than what I bought it for. It's both impressive that it has kept its value for so long and also depressing that the GPU game clearly has slowed down that a year old card can still be a viable product in its performance range for the same price it was at launch. I suppose you could argue that the 970 was priced aggressively from the get-go, which meant that any price drop would have been unlikely in any short term, which is a big reason I jumped in right away, but I kinda figured the competition would have moved on a bit by now.

Either way, I'm still super happy with the purchase. Was a really impressive leap up from a GTX670 and nearly guarantees 60fps in any modern game(which is what I wanted it for) at 1080p(and sometimes even at 1440p). It's still going strong, and despite having it underclocked to reference clock speeds for the time being(for stability in The Witcher 3, which doesn't seem to like OC's), it's still performed like a champ in whatever I've thrown at it. The big 3.5GB vRAM scare has proven to be a complete non-issue in my use cases, even as somebody who likes to play a lot of the latest games. And it should hopefully do me just fine for the initial 6 months or so after we get consumer VR headsets.

At which point I will probably be eager to upgrade to a 14/16nm HBM2 card(for better VR and for my planned upgrade to a 1440p monitor) and my 970 will be sold off to a new home.

I think this card will go down as one of the 'great' GPU's. I'm sure it'll prove competitive for a while still and there's no indication that it will even need another price drop for the next 6-9 months.

I bought two of them a few days after launch.
They have served me well. Apart from arkham knight which ran crap on most cards I haven't had any issues running at 1080p and sometimes beyond using DSR.
Unless the 14/16nm cards perform double what my 970s in SLi can I wont upgrade for a while and these might be the cards that last me the longest time between upgrades.
I can't wait to see what they can do when dx12 is in most games either

Soldato
Another 970 SLI user here, had them 10mths now and they still run anything I throw at them.

I was originally going to sell them this September and get something better, but as its turned out, there really isn't anything better for the money, so I'll keep them now until the Pascal range land next year.

These cards, with a decent SLI profile, will run anything out there at 60fps 1440p DSR @ max settings, and 60fps @4K with settings dropped down a notch or so, and thats more than good enough for me.

As others have said the 3.5GB issue has been a complete...non issue, nothing but overblown, nerd rage at its worst.

Associate
So just brought myself another 970. Changed the first one for a 980 in the end. This one is for the missus machine. She gets full use of mine whilst I am aboard :(.

I was stuck between a MSI 970 4GD5T White & Black and a EVGA 970 FTW.
Having owned the FTW before that was my preferred choice. The colour theme is black and white so the MSI would be perfect and what she wanted. But when I told her the card doesn't get full coverage when I eventually stick a water block on it, she soon changed her mind (Like to think I always get my own way :D). So I pulled the trigger on the FTW. I would have gone for the FTW+ but EK's ACX block doesn't support it.

Its all been delivered to my work so when I get back Stateside, I can finally get to put it all together. Might have to put a project log together for this. Just my photography skills leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
Soldato
So just brought myself another 970. Changed the first one for a 980 in the end. This one is for the missus machine. She gets full use of mine whilst I am aboard :(.

I was stuck between a MSI 970 4GD5T White & Black and a EVGA 970 FTW.
Having owned the FTW before that was my preferred choice. The colour theme is black and white so the MSI would be perfect and what she wanted. But when I told her the card doesn't get full coverage when I eventually stick a water block on it, she soon changed her mind (Like to think I always get my own way :D). So I pulled the trigger on the FTW. I would have gone for the FTW+ but EK's ACX block doesn't support it.

Its all been delivered to my work so when I get back Stateside, I can finally get to put it all together. Might have to put a project log together for this. Just my photography skills leave a lot to be desired.

A board that can type!!! wow, is that your superpower? :p ;) Do you turn into it after midnight?? ;) :D

Soldato
The Asus appeals to me. There's not really too much choice, TBH. I'm actually surprised how much the 970 has held it's price in general. The free game will sweeten the deal too, as my son loves the AC games (I hate them).

I take it that offer will be open until Wednesday?

Back
Top Bottom