• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
According Bit-tech it seems Asus Strix got +120%.
Though Nordic guys noted:
MSI with their GTX 970 Gaming landed in second place, reaching up to 1501 megahertz boost despite a lower ceiling on their Power Target compared to Asus and Gigabyte, the maximum setting is 110% instead of 125% of the competitors. Gigabyte today with their GTX 970 G1 Gaming we reach the little bit crazy boost frequency 1580 MHz
Looks like Giga has a bit better OC potential by a few bins (4-5/13mhz), prolly cause of those extra power limit %.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
IIRC the power target doesn't make that much of a difference anyway compared to voltage. When unlocked bios or afterburner commands come along most cards will be on a level playing field for max power target and volts.

My MSI does 1600mhz boost and has only 110% power target.

OcUK Staff
According Bit-tech it seems Asus Strix got +120%.
Though Nordic guys noted:

Looks like numbers are all other the place.

More to do with GPU silicon lottery.

My MSI 970 sits happily at 1600/8000 for 24/7 usage with +87mv and 100% fan speed!

For benching its being upto 1640/8400, all the early 970's are excellent!

Of course in 3 months time overclocks might drop just like they did on 780 and 780Ti as first batches of 780/780Ti were getting upto 1400MHz core, but later batches 1300MHz was a struggle!!!

Associate
"I find the EVGA's GTX 970 SC ACX quite noisy in both idle and load; other board partners are delivering much better noise output results by offering a semi-passive cooling solution that turns the fans off in idle and during light gaming, while operating them very quietly otherwise."
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_970_SC_ACX_Cooler/24.html

"What may be a distraction, however, is noise from the power circuitry. As we said, EVGA doesn't use any upgraded components for its power phases, whereas ASUS and MSI both use higher end parts. It also has only four power phases for the GPU compared to six in the other two cards, which puts more strain and load on the invidiual elements of each phse. The result, sadly, is a relatively low volume but still irritating buzzing noise every time the card is put under load (i.e. when gaming)."
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/13

That's very annoying as I was eyeing up the EVGA ones.

Current EVGA 670 does the same whine. Probably worth paying extra for these things even considering I will watercool them.

Does anyone know what the PCB is on the MSI gaming edition? Is it a fully custom one?

Soldato
Well after a payment balls up then a delivery balls up they finally arrived today... :)

img_0761sxagu.jpg

img_0772yyb1j.jpg

Hmm suspiciously looks like room for another :D:p

Back
Top Bottom