• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
how quiet are the evga sc acx cards? hard time deciding between those or the asus strix.

"I find the EVGA's GTX 970 SC ACX quite noisy in both idle and load; other board partners are delivering much better noise output results by offering a semi-passive cooling solution that turns the fans off in idle and during light gaming, while operating them very quietly otherwise."
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_970_SC_ACX_Cooler/24.html

"What may be a distraction, however, is noise from the power circuitry. As we said, EVGA doesn't use any upgraded components for its power phases, whereas ASUS and MSI both use higher end parts. It also has only four power phases for the GPU compared to six in the other two cards, which puts more strain and load on the invidiual elements of each phse. The result, sadly, is a relatively low volume but still irritating buzzing noise every time the card is put under load (i.e. when gaming)."
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/13

Last edited:
Soldato
Same pcb as reference 670's? I had wf 670's that used the 680 pcb. Though the 780's I have are standard pcb but the wf cooler slapped on. 970 sli is the sweetspot for price/performance. I could sell up and go this route myself.

I have heard is mentioned at times and I visually checked the back of the 970 gaming from zotac against that of the stock 670. And you are right that a lot of 670s used physically identical PCBs to 680s.

I mostly want to upgrade due to their smaller size, larger amount of VRAM and the fact they'll dump less heat into my loop (two 780s would be a bit much apparently)

Top is 970, bottom is 670.
GX-071-ZT_97627_600.jpg

back.jpg

What's the best tool(s) to use to test an OC on these new cards? If using PrecisionX to do the tweaks, is the EVGA OC Scanner tool reliable to use? It has a constant test button or a quick benchmark test button.

I always stick to MSI afterburner to do the tweaking and BF3 for stress testing. Found that leaving BF3 at the spawn screen is as reliable as any test for detecting errors.

Associate
What are people doing for drivers for the 970s? Is the current stuff from nvidia's website ok?

Similarly the people using the 'nvidia experience' software, does stuff like ShadowPlay work currently or will it require an update?

Associate
I crapped myself for a small moment there. I hook my pc directly to my amp over hdmi which also gives me audio on my 280x and thought to myself wait does NVIDIA support audio over hdmi.

Luckily it does

Last edited:
Soldato
Any recommendations on which card/brand to go for if I wanted to go sli 970s on air?

The look of the EVGA ACX cards will look great in my pc, but I heard they're a bit noisy and are only 4 phase rather than 6 like the MSI/Asus? I think the ideal solution for sli would be a couple of blowers though as I've got my h100i pushing out my cpu heat at the top of my 650D case. I hear mutterings of a 970 with the titan cooler, but fear this will be pretty expensive and ideally want to stay around the £500-£550 mark.

Soldato
I think the Gigabyte G1 is going to be too long for my Corsair 540 case. :(

Might go for the EVGA 970 now, as its only 241mm in length.

The G1 fits fine in a 540, has an inch to spare, I have it sat in mine now:

Fgllv8e.jpg.png

What are people doing for drivers for the 970s? Is the current stuff from nvidia's website ok?

Similarly the people using the 'nvidia experience' software, does stuff like ShadowPlay work currently or will it require an update?

The drivers released earlier in the week are fine, you should be running on those for the new 9xx cards. Experience works fine and do does shadowplay, infact I find shadowplay enabled has less FPS drop on the 9xx cards over the 6xx cards which is a nice brucey bonus!

Back
Top Bottom