• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Man of Honour
Second card is in.

Can't fit the side of the case back on without removing the fan shroud on the inside of the windowed panel of my HAF X.

These MSI cards are quite deep and the shroud fowls on the heat pipe at the top of the card.

At least the shroud is removable.

Not much to gained running SLI at 1080p in Batman AO. Min, max and average up by around 20-25 FPS. I also get similar results using one card for rendering and one for PhysX.

Time to test at 5760x1080.

image by barmyllama, on Flickr

image by barmyllama, on Flickr

Soldato
Which budget 970 to go for??

Is the Palit any good, is that reference?

Or is there something better with a better cooler for a bit more cash, I'm so confused having been out the gpu market for ages..

i'm not sure either

i fancy the Palit Jet Stream or the Zotac Amp, i dont want a long saggy card.......... because i'm thinking of another much smaller case

Last edited:
Associate
What would be a good setup for running 2 gtx 970's ?

Looking to upgrade from an i7 920 - ex58 mobo.

Considering my options as I think gtx970's will be something for me to consider :)

Hi bear:)

Great sig:cool: (quizzical bear with glasses= :cool:)

I've gone 970 Sli on a socket 2011 3930k...got a bargain last year so made the move from a 920 (which is now my backup system:D) I was running 480 Sli idling approx 260 watts now I'm idling approx 100 watts:eek: I have a cool quite system all on air:eek:

When I've got some more pennies together waterblocks are the next purchase... time to overclock:cool::D

Did anyone who purchased the Msi 970's get a mouse pad free? as neither of mine had one? or is that just the 980s?:)

OcUK Staff
Both cards have the problem, so I think they may just use cheap fans.
I've seen many people complain about the problem on the 670s.

Just send them back under DSR as this will be fine as it's due to noise and I'd advice you buy one of the custom cooled cards marketed towards low noise and as such recommend MSI 970 Gaming.

We will b-grade your old cards and someone can grab a bargain. Any issues just show the RMA adviser this post. :)

Soldato
Just send them back under DSR as this will be fine as it's due to noise and I'd advice you buy one of the custom cooled cards marketed towards low noise and as such recommend MSI 970 Gaming.

We will b-grade your old cards and someone can grab a bargain. Any issues just show the RMA adviser this post. :)

Thanks Gibbo :) Top man.
I'll go for the MSI cards I think, I've seen you say good things about them.

Associate
My MSI 970 arrived today!

Though there is one critical problem :( :( :( :(
...no mouse pad in the box :eek:

Had to drown my sorrows in Haribo....

Impressed with the speed (and freeness!) of the OC dispatch & delivery tho!

Soldato
Unfortunately the second shipment got delayed due to a typhoon in Taiwan, but they are now on plane so definetely on the way. Fingers crossed no more delays. :)

Here is me complaining about a delay when they have had a typhoon, I mean, that is quite a valid excuse.

Thanks for the update.

Associate
I bought the MSI GTX 970, and am very impressed. I had a Gigabyte 560Ti previously, so it was a big upgrade. There's a difference even when playing old games like World of Warcraft. I have an Intel 2500K cpu, and 8gb of ram.
A feature I like is that the card has a smart fan system, which controls fan speed, and therefore noticeably reduces noise. The card fitted without issue inside my Silverstone FT02B case.

Back
Top Bottom