• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Well I've thoroughly tested Bimmy and Jimmy, both beat the scores of my GTX780 which boosted to 1120 out of the box, these guys both boost to 1265+ out of the box, with a +200 core setting (not touched voltage or power % as scared) Bimmy does 1460 something and Jimmy does 1470 something, not bad.

Associate
Anyone else with a MSI 970 hear a faint clicking sound when the fan starts up? (roughly at fan speed frequency)

I can't really hear it with the case closed but I can with my ear next to the open case side.

Just wondered if it was anything to worry about :)

(wondered if this was due to my lack of free mouse pad? ;):D)

Soldato
Second card is in.

Can't fit the side of the case back on without removing the fan shroud on the inside of the windowed panel of my HAF X.

These MSI cards are quite deep and the shroud fowls on the heat pipe at the top of the card.

At least the shroud is removable.

How wide are the cards? My case is quite thin and caused me a lot of grief when I was looking for a decent CPU cooler that would fit. The case has a max CPU cooler height of 153mm, so if your graphics cards come out to less than 1cm away from the top of your CPU cooler I might have a problem, depending on what cooler you have

Soldato
Anyone got SLI MSI 970s? Do they fit OK and temps are good? I'm very close to getting one and may want to SLI in the future.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I've took the +87mv off mine and running it at 1500/2000 stock voltage with 110% power and priortised for temp. This way GPU-Z tells me the PerfCap reason is Vrel which means more voltage required, if I add voltage it then splits the PerfCap reason between Vrel and VOP which means more power is needed and for some reason the card will throttle to lower clocks and voltage. Not quite sure what's going on to be honest. Afterburner might not support these cards properly yet.

Soldato
So people routinely getting 1500mhz core on 970/980s?that's insane.

I love a good oc on a GPU, regrettably my 680s aren't amenable to it.

Associate
What would be a good setup for running 2 gtx 970's ?

Looking to upgrade from an i7 920 - ex58 mobo.

Considering my options as I think gtx970's will be something for me to consider :)

Only just saw your post...

I have the same setup - mildly clocked i7 920 - and was running an old ati 5770.

I've just put 1 MSI 970 into that rig and found it night-and-day better for gaming. Only heavy-CPU-bound games like Planetside 2 show up the old i7 920 in VERY busy areas.

(Thinking of disabling hyperthreading and seeing if i can squeak out a bit more performance with the same CPU temps but at a higher clock speed now :))

Soldato
Coolermaster HAF XB. Has 2x 140mm fans at the front and 1x 120mm + 2 x 80mm at the back. 1x25cm fan exhaust in the roof.

Edited: I've just installed evga precision. Selected the "quiet" profile. This limits the GPU to 50% fan speed... at the expense of from the looks of it limiting the boost clock when it hits 80 degrees. And I'm not sure the profile is working because although the OSD says 49% fan speed, it sounds more like when I manually set it to about 70%. Depressing. I think its made my mind up to return them. :( If thats ok Gibbo?

They shouldn't even be hitting 80C really. I have two with the naff reference cooler and after 30 minutes of Heaven they only hit 76C

Associate
Anyone out there who can advise about MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z and these 970's?

At stock settings with a benchmark running the core will pull 1.225v according to GPU-Z
Now if I set AB +87mV core (the max it will go), then gpuz shows 1.250v (an increase of just 0.025v, or 25mV)

Now I understand the concept of VDroop which is what perhaps is going on here, but in addition to this I notice that the 'Perfcap Reason' sensor on GPU-Z changes from 'VRel' (with all blue graph) to 'VRel VOp' (top half of graph turns orange).

As soon as I reset to stock voltage on AB then the core drops down to 1.225v again, and Perfcap graph goes back to VRel with blue graph.
No matter what voltage I put, as long as it is over +31mV, the core will only increase by 25mV.
The power limit has no effect on this, I have tried it at 110, 112 and 100 but same results.

Is this what you guys are seeing? Just curious, as I cannot get my core speed to go above about 1550 stable and am wondering perhaps this is why?

I have the Gigabyte G1, if someone out there with the Gigabyte, MSI or other cards could replicate this test for me and let me know results that would be great :)

EDIT: Just found this info about the GPU-Z codes:
"VRel"/"VOp" are indicating that card could go higher (it's got power/TDP and temperature room for it), but voltage reached highest possible level and going higher would mean overvoltage on GPU Core (and Turbo Boost 2.0 technology can't do that, when GPU vCore limit is in place)."

So that would mean that 1.250v is the max that my card will allow? Perhaps a BIOS limit or afterburner not working properly?

Yes been playing around with volts same issues not really making any difference for me so I just use defaults and still hit 1500 on the core. Using the Galax OC 970. It would seem something is not working either AB 4 or a Bios issue .

Associate
Stuck deciding which 970 to go for. Either the MIS one or EVGA with the ACX 1.0 cooler.

From a performance view there is not much in it really now the benching numbers are starting to come in, and from a gaming and real world use they all seem to be much the same. Just go for the cards with a custom cooler.

Caporegime
Only just saw your post...

I have the same setup - mildly clocked i7 920 - and was running an old ati 5770.

I've just put 1 MSI 970 into that rig and found it night-and-day better for gaming. Only heavy-CPU-bound games like Planetside 2 show up the old i7 920 in VERY busy areas.

(Thinking of disabling hyperthreading and seeing if i can squeak out a bit more performance with the same CPU temps but at a higher clock speed now :))

That's impressive tbh! To think that rig could possibly last another 3/4 years for gaming is mind-boggling!!

I'm building a friend a Sandybridge system (only because his X58/930 sys has developed a fault). That should last him a good long while at 4.5Ghz!!

Soldato
Does anyone know why my MSI 970 makes a buzzing sound when it's under load? It's definitely not the fan as I have used afteburner to turn the fan upto 100% and it doesn't make the buzzing sound

Soldato
Does anyone know why my MSI 970 makes a buzzing sound when it's under load? It's definitely not the fan as I have used afteburner to turn the fan upto 100% and it doesn't make the buzzing sound

That'll be coil whine. Happens on most cards, but your psu can also have an impact on the extent of the noise as well.

Back
Top Bottom