• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Has anyone bit the bullet and gone SLI outright?

Single GTX 980 now, and then replace with 980 Ti later on..

Got to wonder if AMD's mid range Tonga card uses more power than GTX 980, how are AMD going to compete on performance per watt on 28nm, like at all?

I think we see AMD move onto 20nm way before Nvidia, out of necessity..

Either way, these new cards have shook the current pricing and will force a response. Competition is good.

Associate
Anyone else tempted by the teenie tiny size of the Zotac gaming card?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-071-ZT&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1010

SLI that with something like that with the massive MSI gaming where it's small size would help maintain airflow.
I've pre-ordered one to replace the zotac 660ti in my sugo mini-itx where the 20cm size is very helpful.

One downside is having fans which exhaust inside the case whereas the reference design exhausts through the backplate. As it happens the sugo case has ample ventilation adjacent the GPU but it might be worth thinking about this for SLI. Also this 970 has the dual DVI config rather than the newer 3 DP arrangement on many of the new cards but I only use HDMI anyway.

I run the 660ti with a reduced power target, mem overclock only, and a careful fan speed curve so it will be interesting to see what benefits the move to a 970 will bring in a SFF system.

Caporegime
Got to wonder if AMD's mid range Tonga card uses more power than GTX 980, how are AMD going to compete on performance per watt on 28nm, like at all?

I think we see AMD move onto 20nm way before Nvidia, out of necessity..

Either way, these new cards have shook the current pricing and will force a response. Competition is good.

I'm thinking that AMD will counter in Q1 2015 with 20nm chips then nVidia will either lay the smackdown with the 980Ti STILL on 28nm (thereby humiliating them) then nV following up with their 20nm line. Just hope I'm very very wrong, we need strong competition on both sides!

We don't want AMD to drift like on their CPU line...

Soldato
I'm thinking that AMD will counter in Q1 2015 with 20nm chips then nVidia will either lay the smackdown with the 980Ti STILL on 28nm (thereby humiliating them) then nV following up with their 20nm line. Just hope I'm very very wrong, we need strong competition on both sides!

We don't want AMD to drift like on their CPU line...

I definitely wouldn't count AMD out, I think we'll see some 28nm with massive performance but no where near as efficient as Nvidia's, these might be the cards that need AIO's?

On 20nm, all bets are off. AMD might have something really really good cooking up. On 28nm though, it's clear a lot of work has gone into Maxwell, I just can't see AMD getting anywhere near the performance per watt. Even Tonga uses more power than the 970/980 with about half the performance.

In terms of raw performance though, maybe they can put out another set of 28nm cards, tons of performance, high power use but with AIO to cool and with extra vram to make them more appealing?

Plus there's always Mantle right :p

Caporegime
I definitely wouldn't count AMD out, I think we'll see some 28nm with massive performance but no where near as efficient as Nvidia's, these might be the cards that need AIO's?

On 20nm, all bets are off. AMD might have something really really good cooking up. On 28nm though, it's clear a lot of work has gone into Maxwell, I just can't see AMD getting anywhere near the performance per watt. Even Tonga uses more power than the 970/980 with about half the performance.

In terms of raw performance though, maybe they can put out another set of 28nm cards, tons of performance, high power use but with AIO to cool and with extra vram to make them more appealing?

Plus there's always Mantle right :p

I just hope they don't lose it like the CPU section did :(

We all need the competition, I think nVidia would make Intel look like the candyman without it!! :D :p

Associate
I bought dual EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC ACX 1.0

Can't wait to see how the compare against my dual 780ti setup in Midas :D

I'll be stay on air with them (for now) and will hopefully get them on Monday all being well "North o the Wall"

Associate
Would a 970 be a worthwhile upgrade from a 670? Bearing in mind, I'm running on a X5650 at 4Ghz so not sure if my system is just getting on a bit.

Soldato
I bought dual EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC ACX 1.0

Can't wait to see how the compare against my dual 780ti setup in Midas :D

I'll be stay on air with them (for now) and will hopefully get them on Monday all being well "North o the Wall"

Didn't fancy the ACX 2.0 coolers? supposed to be quite a bit better (quieter and better temp)

Back
Top Bottom