• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Hi there

A few more hundred of the MSI 970 Gaming arrived this morning, so now we should not run out over the weekend. :)

Only just seen this. Followed your recommendation and ordered 2 of these, so by tomorrow I'll have 2xMSI and 2xEVGA. I've filled in an RMA request for the EVGAs based on the noise. Hopefully I won't have any problems returning them.

OcUK Staff
Only just seen this. Followed your recommendation and ordered 2 of these, so by tomorrow I'll have 2xMSI and 2xEVGA. I've filled in an RMA request for the EVGAs based on the noise. Hopefully I won't have any problems returning them.

This is OK by me and I've updated our descriptions on the radial blower designs stating they are not quiet.

The EVGA should be quiet so I can only assume the fans are faulty, so a return is no issue, any issues point them to my reply here. :)

Soldato
This is OK by me and I've updated our descriptions on the radial blower designs stating they are not quiet.

The EVGA should be quiet so I can only assume the fans are faulty, so a return is no issue, any issues point them to my reply here. :)

I don't know about what they are like compared to the reference cards, but the EVGAs are considerably louder than all of the other cards that I have seen in reviews. I believe the review found that the EVGA at idle was louder than the MSI or Asus under load

Associate

:eek: Just got a reply... basically saying if I want to return them under DSR there's a 20% restocking fee. So I lose about £120...

I don't know about what they are like compared to the reference cards, but the EVGAs are considerably louder than all of the other cards that I have seen in reviews. I believe the review found that the EVGA at idle was louder than the MSI or Asus under load

Yeah, that worries me, what if they are found not faulty?

Soldato
At about 60% its difficult to focus on gaming... at 70% its unbearable... is that enough to return them for the MSIs? Keeping in mind the fans are always above 60% when gaming.

Thats bad mine are at 40%.

Like Gibbo said even 100% is not that bad I tried it just to see how loud.

My case fans not are always louder than my GPU I am really pleased with my new build and the GPU is just the cherry on top.

Associate
I've took the +87mv off mine and running it at 1500/2000 stock voltage with 110% power and priortised for temp. This way GPU-Z tells me the PerfCap reason is Vrel which means more voltage required, if I add voltage it then splits the PerfCap reason between Vrel and VOP which means more power is needed and for some reason the card will throttle to lower clocks and voltage. Not quite sure what's going on to be honest. Afterburner might not support these cards properly yet.

Yep exactly the same as my Gigabyte 970 - what brand and model 970 do you have?
I don't think this is a fault or anything, but it just seems the BIOS is limited to 1.250v. I'm sure if it would allow 1.3v we could get them past 1600MHz and temps should still be below 70 in my case...
Oh and I also find that I can leave power limit at 100 and doesn't affect the overclockability. Can still hit 1500/8000 with stock volts and stock power limit.

Yes been playing around with volts same issues not really making any difference for me so I just use defaults and still hit 1500 on the core. Using the Galax OC 970. It would seem something is not working either AB 4 or a Bios issue .

As above, I reckon this BIOS's are limited to 1.250v which cause this.
One thing I have noticed - if I reset AB to stock settings and run a benchmark, my card will boost to 1359. If I add around +30mV then it will boost up to about 1380 and the VOp flag will kick in on GPUZ.
However I can still crank the MHz up to about +175 which gives me around 1560 boost constantly.

So the VOp flag doesn't actually cause the clocks to throttle...(is it supposed to?)

All the while my card doesn't go above 60 degrees which I find amazing!

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone know why my MSI 970 makes a buzzing sound when it's under load? It's definitely not the fan as I have used afteburner to turn the fan upto 100% and it doesn't make the buzzing sound

use the empty bog roll method to make sure whether its your GPU or your PSU. I thought my 770 had coil whine until I read about using an empty toilet roll as an ear trumpet and it wasnt my GPU it was actually my PSU making the coil whine.

Its probably your PSU either way.

Soldato
use the empty bog roll method to make sure whether its your GPU or your PSU. I thought my 770 had coil whine until I read about using an empty toilet roll as an ear trumpet and it wasnt my GPU it was actually my PSU making the coil whine.

Its probably your PSU either way.

Thanks I'll try it out once I get home.

Soldato
Didn't have much time last night as it was pretty late but I did a light overclock.

MSI GTX970

+200Mhz on the core = 1558Mhz boost (I think)
+200Mhz on the memory

No extra power limit or mv. Got me 60.3 fps on heaven. Card hit a max of 51c at 100% fan.

ASIC was around 75% on my card.

Associate
Gpu-z reporting my Asus Strix OC going upto 1330mz roughly when gaming which I believe is even above the stated spec! I got it from OCUK and it was the only one in stock I think. Seems I got a peach of a card.

Also on stock the fan doesn't even kick in on most games, for example been playing wow on maxed out settings 120hz and haven't seen temp above 65 and fan speed stays 0% ! Seriously impressive.

I don't normally OC graphics cards as I hate software oc's. Is there much support for bios overclocking these days as I think id like to try an oc bios on my card.

Associate
Anyone use this cards with ROG monitor? What about fps at games? I am not sure buy this monitor or no... i think no, because i cant reach 140 fps for 140 Hz

Associate
Didn't have much time last night as it was pretty late but I did a light overclock.

MSI GTX970

+200Mhz on the core = 1558Mhz boost (I think)
+200Mhz on the memory

No extra power limit or mv. Got me 60.3 fps on heaven. Card hit a max of 51c at 100% fan.

ASIC was around 75% on my card.

I need to do +230 MHz on mine MSI to get 1558 Boost.
+220 gives 1549 Mhz
Also no voltage added.
Asic 70.2%

Associate
Anyone use this cards with ROG monitor? What about fps at games? I am not sure buy this monitor or no... i think no, because i cant reach 140 fps for 140 Hz

Tbh I don't think you should buy a 144mhz under the premise you need to hit 144fps.

The beauty of the high refresh is you will not need vsync to avoid screen tearing on demanding games that run over 60 but under 144 and you will have a noticeable improvement in fluidity of motion. Anything over 80 fps becomes very hard to distinguish from higher fps and is marginal at best.

This coming from someone who is super sensitive to fps!

I don't think many rigs run demanding games maxed out at 140fps so don't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom