• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Tbh I don't think you should buy a 144mhz under the premise you need to hit 144fps.

The beauty of the high refresh is you will not need vsync to avoid screen tearing on demanding games that run over 60 but under 144 and you will have a noticeable improvement in fluidity of motion. Anything over 80 fps becomes very hard to distinguish from higher fps and is marginal at best.

This coming from someone who is super sensitive to fps!

I don't think many rigs run demanding games maxed out at 140fps so don't worry about it.

i am not sure about this tearings ,because i dont see this)))
Need another one 3D monitor with nice picture)

Associate
just throwing in my two cents.

I went for the Galax standard 970 and im really pleased, but I was coming from a 5850.

Fan noise is negligible but I play mostly with headphones so I don't really hear it.

Associate
To all 970 owners:

Could you guys please run a 3D benchmark at stock settings (press reset in AB if you are using it)
Then let us know what your GPU voltage and boost clock is reading in GPU-Z or Afterburner?
Also let us know your ASIC quality please.

Just curious as under load mine reads 1.225v constant, 1367 boost and ASIC quality is 63.8%
Mine will only allow 1.250v max and wondering if this is to do with my low ASIC quality. Still seems to clock well though.

Will be interesting to see the results of others.
I could create a new thread for 970 overclocking results/help if people think it will be worthwhile and helpful?

Soldato
I'll say one thing about fan noise on the MSI 970. At 100% it is definitely noticeable, I don't get why people are saying it's "silent" it is clearly not.

Soldato
I'll say one thing about fan noise on the MSI 970. At 100% it is definitely noticeable, I don't get why people are saying it's "silent" it is clearly not.

Different people have different threasholds for acceptible noise, noisey, quiet, etc.

Bbbearrr above said the Galax blower noise was negligible whereas myself and Fogo had differing opinions of it :p

Personally I found the noise so annoying at idle that if I wasn't on LGA2011 I would have pulled the card after I finished game/benchmark tests and ran on the iGPU for the rest of the night's film/forum/chat usage.

Soldato
Different people have different threasholds for acceptible noise, noisey, quiet, etc.

Bbbearrr above said the Galax blower noise was negligible whereas myself and Fogo had differing opinions of it :p

Personally I found the noise so annoying at idle that if I wasn't on LGA2011 I would have pulled the card after I finished game/benchmark tests and ran on the iGPU for the rest of the night's film/forum/chat usage.
Yeah I pulled them out and put my 780 back in lol

Permabanned
Any heard anything on custom BIOS's yet?

I know the software is available now to edit them, there's just nothing that can flash the modded BIOS back onto the card.

Associate
Nooo my Gigabyte 970 has been delayed to around the 6th of October..
Don't know if I should go for the MSI instead as it's in stock? I know they both overclock and cool really well, just love the looks of the Gigabyte one :(
Any thoughts?

Soldato
Nooo my Gigabyte 970 has been delayed to around the 6th of October..
Don't know if I should go for the MSI instead as it's in stock? I know they both overclock and cool really well, just love the looks of the Gigabyte one :(
Any thoughts?

Apart from lacking a backplate, I much prefer the MSI looks. I'm just a sucker for heatpipes and think Gigabyte missed a trick in not displaying them like the MSI.

Oh and OCUK have just put the MSI on sale with TWO!!!

Mahoosive drop in price!!!

Back
Top Bottom