• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Associate
Loving my 2x MSI 970 setup. I was going to overclock them but TBH they are so fast I'll only do that in a year or so when needed.

Scary not seeing the fans move! I have 3x Desktop and a Oculus Rift DK2 and all connected the fans dont move unless I kick something high-powered on.

This Maxwell chip and MSI's cooler are truly impressive.

Going from 2x 280X in CrossFire I've seen a bigger difference than I thought I would, with a lot less power!

Associate
Scary not seeing the fans move! I have 3x Desktop and a Oculus Rift DK2 and all connected the fans dont move unless I kick something high-powered on.

This Maxwell chip and MSI's cooler are truly impressive.

Going from 2x 280X in CrossFire I've seen a bigger difference than I thought I would, with a lot less power!

Welcome to the green side literally :D

Associate
I got the Gigabyte GTX 970 delivered this morning and indeed it does look like a quality product with all metal design. The card also does not sag, which is impressive considering its length.

I went for the Gigabyte because I wanted the cherry picked GPU and the extra cooling. The problem for me is that the card is relatively speaking loud at idle. I know sound is subjective but my system has 0 moving parts when idling, and this makes 3x fans spinning at ~1500RPM sound intrusive. I am instead going to go for the cheaper plastic shroud MSI GTX 970 with 0db idle fans and no backplate. I will have lower overclocks but this is a compromise I will make.

I am also considering that I will want to run SLI in about a year, so it should be easier to find the same MSI GTX 970 since they seem to be the most popular.

Soldato
Could anyone with SLI 970s confirm if you can use Dynamic Super Resolution by going into the NVIDIA control panel and selecting "DSR factors" in the Manage 3D settings section please?

Heard a few reports of DSR not working for some SLI users and that would be a real shame if I wanted to get another 970.

I posted an SLI pic on an earlier page but I checked out those options and they let me enable more resolutions. Cheers for that! :D

An SLI pic of Crysis @ 4K with the available res choices in game:

crysis_2014_09_24_14_q5ddg.jpg

I'm using the 344.16 drivers if that helps?

Caporegime
OP
I will have lower overclocks but this is a compromise I will make.

Not necessarily, it's more down to the chip than the cooler how far it will overclock (apart from watercooling of course). When GIGA say their 970's are cherry picked they just mean they will all do the advertised boost clock. They won't of tested everyone at say 1600mhz.

Associate
Those running MSI 970 SLI, what temps are you seeing? On my single MSI 970 I have seen 75c in heaven after 30 mins continuous and might want to add an extra card if the temps do not go too high.

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
I went for the Gigabyte because I wanted the cherry picked GPU and the extra cooling. The problem for me is that the card is relatively speaking loud at idle. I know sound is subjective but my system has 0 moving parts when idling, and this makes 3x fans spinning at ~1500RPM sound intrusive.

I had heard the Gigabyte was loud(er) at idle compared to some of its counterparts, but some members on this forum assured me it wasn't loud at all.
Like you I would definitely be able to hear it though, at idle I've got 2 PWM case fans spinning at low rpm; I don't even use HDDs because they make too much noise when the platters spin.

This is making me re-think my decision to go Gigabyte myself; MSI might be a better choice after all.. Are you sure there's no way to lower the rpm further? 1500 is twice as much as my Windforce 670 idles at, and obviously way too high.

Last edited:
Associate
Nope not sorted :( Not sure what to do.

I had a bit of a game with it. But got my RMA number on the basis that the fans are noisier than they should be (hence faulty)... I've ordered the MSI cards already as I don't want to be without my PC. I hope this goes ok, otherwise I'll be sleeping on the sofa for a month.

Associate
Got my Msi todyay, slightly slower than the Amp! 780 I had, but with some overclock it runs away while staying completely silent, really an incredible card.

As I'll be adding another 970 during the weekend I'm joining rob77 in his question :cool:

Associate
Yes, i know what people using afterburner, but i scarry to burn my cards) once i try it was a bad experience for me)))

Back
Top Bottom