• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Now i have 650 watt PSU, to overclock this cards i think i need 850 minimum? Or take 1000 to look in future updates?)

Depends on the PSU and your rig. A decent 650W unit can run SLi 970s without a problem. There was a post on Anandtech forums where a guy measured total system power draw at the wall of 2 970s to be ~560W.
Can't seem to find the post though.

Soldato
Very loud fans, even with just one. At idle they're really annoying due to the grinding motor noise.

Was Gibbo okay with you returning them just because they sound like hair dryers? I am currently browsing the web with a 7800GTO because I simply couldn't stand the Galax radial fan noise any more lol.

I was going to grab the Inno3D dual fan ones that were the same price but opted for the Galax because Gibbo had given their 980 blower such a rave review :(

I had been planning to water cool them eventually which would have solved the issue but I have just found tonight out from a mate who has one that despite EK saying their blocks will fit they actually don't because the idiots in China Galax used to assemble the cards have managed to get the components so far out of position their own VRM heat sink barely fits never mind a water block lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was Gibbo okay with you returning them just because they sound like hair dryers? I am currently browsing the web with a 7800GTO because I simply couldn't stand the Galax radial fan noise any more lol.

I had been planning to water cool them which would have solved the issue but I have just found tonight out from a mate with one that despite EK saying their blocks will fit they actually don't because the idiots in China Galax used to assemble the cards have managed to get the components so out of position their own VRM heat sink barely fits never mind a water block lol.

The guy I spoke to through Web notes wasn't having any of it, he said I'd only get a partial refund for the cards.
I've posted in the customer service forum to get it sorted. They've said if the cards are in 'like new' condition then I should get a full refund. Still not really sure what they will do though.

Have you tried the blocks? I would have thought the Galax ones would be the same as the rest.

Soldato
Have you tried the blocks? I would have thought the Galax ones would be the same as the rest.

I haven't no, but one of my friends got a pair of Galax too and went to fit his blocks tonight and ran into the issues, he emailed me some pics I'll upload em.

I guess I am lucky I am lazy and was planning to wait until the weekend before messing with my loop or I would probably have run a foul of it and chucked them out the window lol.

Soldato
I haven't no, but one of my friends got a pair of Galax too and went to fit his blocks tonight and ran into the issues, he emailed me some pics I'll upload em.

I guess I am lucky I am lazy and was planning to wait until the weekend before messing with my loop or I would probably have run a foul of it and chucked them out the window lol.

Oh lol, I have the 2 x Galax and I was hoping to WC them but er that doesn't look good...

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh lol, I have the 2 x Galax and I was hoping to WC them but er that doesn't good...

I would advise you look away :(

Here's the image EK have on their cooling configurator when it tells you they're compatible:

gtx_970_pcb_96793.jpg

This is how the VRM section on the Galax looks, note the different and badly aligned chokes have invaded the space of the VRM's and forced the factory heatsink to be installed away from some of the VRMs (oh, and apparently the die had more TIM squished out around it than most people put on their entire CPU in case you were wondering what's going on to the right lol):

WP_20140924_003.jpg

And here is a shot from above without the heat sink showing the full scope of the problem, the different and badly aligned chokes are so far out of position they are basically in the VRM zone:

WP_20140924_001.jpg

From what I can see the sad point is even though they use different chokes, if the factory in China had installed them in an organised way in the right place they would still have fitted in the gap for them in the water block :(

Associate
I've currently got a 2500K (sitting at 4ghz with Stock Cooler) and a AMD Radeon 6970 2GB. I only have one monitor @ 1080 and most of my gaming is D3 and WoW.

Nothing really struggles on this setup, but I do think the 6970 is starting to hold me back from running high gfx settings.

I'm assuming the 2500K will last me a fair while longer making the GPU the obvious upgrade.

Would a 970 be a worthwhile upgrade?

I was thinking of getting one now and then maybe another later in the year for SLI (at which point I "might" have upgraded the monitor.

Back
Top Bottom