• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Just got to wait for them to get my cards now. Not sure if I'll get a refund.

Fingers crossed... am in the same boat. But luckily I like to keep boxes, packaging, etc fully in tact should I want to sell in a year or so... so they are going back as new just with the sticker on the box cut.

Soldato
Fingers crossed... am in the same boat. But luckily I like to keep boxes, packaging, etc fully in tact should I want to sell in a year or so... so they are going back as new just with the sticker on the box cut.

Yeah I have everything too. Though I did peel the plastic off the cards lol

Permabanned
The guy I spoke to through Web notes wasn't having any of it, he said I'd only get a partial refund for the cards.
I've posted in the customer service forum to get it sorted. They've said if the cards are in 'like new' condition then I should get a full refund. Still not really sure what they will do though.

Have you tried the blocks? I would have thought the Galax ones would be the same as the rest.

You have 14 days under UK law to return any mail order item for a full refund, DSR has not gone but has been replaced with the Consumer Contracts Regulations.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations

"Online and other distance or off-premises traders will be able to
withhold refunds until goods are returned (or evidence of return is
provided) and they can reduce the amount of money refunded for
goods returned which show evidence of use beyond the handling
necessary to see whether the goods are as expected."

I read this to mean you can take the item out of the packaging and test it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would advise you look away :(

Here's the image EK have on their cooling configurator when it tells you they're compatible:

This is how the VRM section on the Galax looks, note the different and badly aligned chokes have invaded the space of the VRM's and forced the factory heatsink to be installed away from some of the VRMs (oh, and apparently the die had more TIM squished out around it than most people put on their entire CPU in case you were wondering what's going on to the right lol):

And here is a shot from above without the heat sink showing the full scope of the problem, the different and badly aligned chokes are so far out of position they are basically in the VRM zone:

From what I can see the sad point is even though they use different chokes, if the factory in China had installed them in an organised way in the right place they would still have fitted in the gap for them in the water block :(

Blimey! That's Galax knocked off my 970 list, along with EVGA.

Soldato
Lets hope it was just an anomaly Uber... bad luck for your mate though:(

Nope, mine are both the same, if you shine a light into the SLI connector gap you can see it :(

Great, I have two cards that I physically cannot tolerate the sound of and I can't water cool them because Galax did a **** poor job of assembly and EK missed it >.>

Now I need to find something I can play on a 7800GTO to take my mind off this lol.

Yeah I have everything too. Though I did peel the plastic off the cards lol

I did the same, I figured it would be dangerous to use a GPU with it attached /shrug.

You have 7 days under UK law to return any mail order item for a full refund, DSR has not gone but has been replaced with the Consumer Contracts Regulations.[/URL]

Yeah but the CCR doesn't let you return used goods like DSR did (not without restocking fees anyway).

Permabanned
Just had a look at my ASUS GTX 970, the component alignment and PCB soldering is perfect with the correct amount of compound on the GPU :)

Who the hell are Galax anyway?

I tend to stick to ASUS MB and GPU's and have never had any quality problems, you get what you pay for!

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Just had a look at my ASUS GTX 970, the component alignment and PCB soldering is perfect with the correct amount of compound on the GPU :)

Who the hell are Galax anyway?

I tend to srick to ASUS MB and GPU's and have never had any quality problems, you get what you pay for!

One of the biggest manufacturers in the world. :D

Associate
Nope, mine are both the same, if you shine a light into the SLI connector gap you can see it :(

Great, I have two cards that I physically cannot tolerate the sound of and I can't water cool them because Galax did a **** poor job of assembly and EK missed it >.>

What about universal blocks Uber?

I know the mem chips etc will still need to be actively cooled but could be an option:)

It will be interesting how others tackle the 970's as with no blocks currently available someone's going to be temped to give it a go I expect:o:D

I wonder if 8pack would know how much active cooling these new boards will need? :)

Soldato
What about universal blocks Uber?

I know the mem chips etc will still need to be actively cooled but could be an option:)

Well my buddies planning to fit a Corsair AIO so he's not too bothered by this lol, I guess he just felt like emailing me to ruin my night ^^

Universal blocks will work fine but like you say that means no active cooling on the VRM/memory (not that these cards have any cooling on the memory anyway).

Associate
Well my buddies planning to fit a Corsair AIO so he's not too bothered by this lol, I guess he just felt like emailing me to ruin my night ^^

Universal blocks will work fine but like you say that means no active cooling on the VRM/memory (not that these cards have any cooling on the memory anyway).

Well that's some good news Uber:) can you return the 670 blocks?

Soldato
One of the biggest manufacturers in the world. :D

Hey dude sorry to bother you after work but would you be okay with me returning these Galax cards and buying Zotec or Inno3D ones? I have the same issue with the noise as Fogo, so much so that I am currently using a 7800GTO because I couldn't take it any longer and add to that EK being wrong about the water blocks fitting due to the cards build quality issues these cards are effectively useless to me.

I know the product page didn't mention anything about water block compatibility (though it didn't say they sound like hair dryers either) that's EK's fault but when the issue is caused by build quality it's really annoying. I chose the Galax over the Inno3D/Zotec in the first place because you said how good their 980's were (not trying to blame you here, I understand it's your job to sell things) and I really wasn't expecting them to be put together like a budget ATi card from a decade ago :(

OcUK Staff
Hey dude sorry to bother you after work but would you be okay with me returning these Galax cards and buying Zotec or Inno3D ones? I have the same issue with the noise as Fogo, so much so that I am currently using a 7800GTO because I couldn't take it any longer and add to that EK being wrong about the water blocks fitting due to the cards build quality issues these cards are effectively useless to me.

I know the product page didn't mention anything about water block compatibility (though it didn't say they sound like hair dryers either) that's EK's fault but when the issue is caused by build quality it's really annoying. I chose the Galax over the Inno3D/Zotec in the first place because you said how good their 980's were (not trying to blame you here, I understand it's your job to sell things) and I really wasn't expecting them to be put together like a budget ATi card from a decade ago :(

Yeah fine. :)
Go with
MSI gaming
Palit Jetstream
Asus strix
Gigabyte G1
Inno3D X2 / X3

For low noise / near silence. :)

Back
Top Bottom