• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Anyone can help?
I have 2x MSI 970 in sli, sometimes 1st card working with one fan, dont start second , what it can be?

Soldato
I'm planning to upgrade from my trusty HD7850 in a month or two. Would I be able to run a GTX 970 on a 500W OCZ SXSII PSU? My current setup: Asus Z97-Pro, i7 4790k, Crucial MX100 256gb SSD and a WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD.

I want to buy a single 970 before the end of the year and add another one in a year or so (I'll buy a new PSU then, of course;p). Does it make any sense in the long run? My GPU has really served me well and still has some juice left in it, I can play Dead Rising 3 and virtually every game bar Crysis 3/Watch Dogs almost maxed quite comfortably (though WD is hovering around 30 fps on ultra, so practically playable;p) so maybe I should wait for an announcement from AMD just to see what they come up with?

I was pondering waiting for 20nm offerings from Nvidia/AMD but from what I've read there's significant likelihood of both companies skipping 20nm altogether.

And the final dilemma is... MSI or Asus?:D

Asus looks really premium with its metal shroud and sturdy backplate but is supplied with virtually no accessories (the box is almost empty, they didn't even care to throw in a 8-pin molex adaptor which I wouldn't mind having since my PSU doesn't have any 8-pin connectors).

MSI is plastic and comes without a backplate (bummer) but it's likely to clock a wee bit better and be slightly cheaper. Sadly, it requires 8-pin + 6-pin power connectors compared to only one 8-pin on the Asus (the less cables the better, especially on my PSU).

Sorry for the lengthy post, haven't upgraded my GPU in a while and figured it'd be best to ask people who already have a 970.

Cheers!

Soldato
I'd you have a pretty loud case then they will be okay.
If you just have a few 23cm fans on low speed then the reference cards will annoy you.

I fell foul of this as the GTX970's at idle were still the loudest thing in the computer by a large degree (hell they were the only audible thing). However I think the problem was compounded by the fact the tone/pitch/frequency/whatever of the noise is a particularly annoying one so if it isn't drowned out it can be quite annoying.

Back
Top Bottom