• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Permabanned
What's great about the Asus? I only ask as I'm looking at getting a 970. I like to the look of the gigabyte although people reporting its a bit noisy at idle is putting me off.

1. Quality

2. The fans! Most of my day I use windows for business tasks and the fans do not come on keeping the system whisper quiet.

Under heavy load the fans are just audible above my systems Noctua's and they are very quiet...

Caporegime
People are missing out on a phenomenal card if that's the case.

I have to ask, you have an ASUS MB do you not?

Yeah, but I got it half price in B Grade :D

I won't waste my time with Asus, I'll throw it away if it breaks :p

Nice board though, damn shame about their well-known shoddy after sales service :(

Soldato
I quite fancy getting two of those.

Not sure how quiet they will be though.

Well this may be a round the houses way of looking at it, but it appears to be an upgraded version of the cooler they used on their 660ti, that cooler seemed to have good noise/performance at the time, matching the MSI TwinFrozr IV. This new cooler has bigger fans than the old one so should perform even better, and the GTX970 has a 5w lower TDP than the 660Ti did so its basically a better version of a cooler than did well on a very slightly warmer card.

Ironically both my previous encounters with Inno3D involved SLI, Voodoo's and 9600's lol.

Soldato
Well this may be a round the houses way of looking at it, but it appears to be an upgraded version of the cooler they used on their 660ti, that cooler seemed to have good noise/performance at the time, matching the MSI TwinFrozr IV. This new cooler has bigger fans than the old one so should perform even better, and the GTX970 has a 5w lower TDP than the 660Ti did so its basically a better version of a cooler than did well on a very slightly warmer card.

Ironically both my previous encounters with Inno3D involved SLI, Voodoo's and 9600's lol.

That does sound promising then. Maybe I'll wait for you to guinea pig them before I decide :D
Though I might just pay the extra for the MSI.

I'm not old enough for Voodoo :p

Soldato
Yeah I have the 780 Ti Herculez and it's great :) Not seen the two fan one in action though.

I just measured the GTX970 Herculez fans* and they are 100mm like the ones on the 780's, nice, just ordered two for Saturday delivery, hope OCUK get stock on Fridaylike the ETA says :)

*In paint I could copy the DVI port into the fan 2.5 times and DVI ports are 40.6mm :p

Last edited:
Associate
I bought the MSI GTX 970, and am very impressed. I had a Gigabyte 560Ti previously, so it was a big upgrade. There's a difference even when playing old games like World of Warcraft. I have an Intel 2500K cpu, and 8gb of ram.
A feature I like is that the card has a smart fan system, which controls fan speed, and therefore noticeably reduces noise. The card fitted without issue inside my Silverstone FT02B case.

Fellow FT02 owner here, what are the temps and noise levels like with MSI?

I'm always paranoid about the heat pipe orientation.

Associate
Was about to purchase the MSI but don't think it will work with my dual monitor setup.
Palit Jetstream (3 mini DP outputs) might be a viable alternative. Could any purchasers provide some feedback?
Thanks

Soldato
The JetStream is apparently quieter than the MSI but runs around 7C hotter.

I do really like the look of that Zotac.

the Zotac AMP looks different from the rest and has a strong looking cooler cover, the MSI is a bit garish and crude looking.

if you're talking about + or - 6 degrees then this means nothing in a well cooled case, as does 4FPS, it's a very hard decision to make !!!

the Zotac is short but deep, it's cooler looks bulkier than the others, a bit like the Devil 13

Last edited:
Associate
I have a problem with one of my MSI cards
When i try to switch fan to 100% at first card start working only one cooler, what i need to do? return card?

Back
Top Bottom