• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
I am on holiday but my housemate received my parcel today :D My MSI 970 Gaming is currently sitting under my desk next to my PC. Can't wait to get home on Sunday and switch out my 6950, hopefully no more struggling along at 1440p!

Permabanned
With all the GTX 970s flying off the shelves has any of you thought about starting a 970 only benchmark thread with tables for the common benches as it would be interesting to see how the different brands compare.

Unfortunately this is something I can not do as I am not an owner.:)

I am going to benchmark my ASUS 970 tomorrow, what benchmarks would you guys like to see?

Been away from PC's for 10 years, hope it is not a silly question :o

Soldato
So, someone happened to mention the size of the Gigabyte one which forced me to find a tape measure and it will not fit! I have 300mm of clearance in this FT02 and the card is 312mm!

Sent a webnote to OCUK to see if I can cancel the order as it hasn't been shipped yet (still on pre order). Will swap it for the MSI one hopefully.

Man of Honour
I am going to benchmark my ASUS 970 tomorrow, what benchmarks would you guys like to see?

Been away from PC's for 10 years, hope it is not a silly question :o

I see loads of benchmarks on these threads.:)

The reason for my earlier post was I thought it would be a bit of fun for the 970 owners to compete against each other in a thread just for that card as there has been quite a few sold now.

What it would need though is for one of the owners to run a thread with tables for the common benches.

3dmark11
Firestrike
Firestrike Extreme
Heaven 4
Valley
Sky Diver

For comparing the 970 against other cards there are plenty of benching threads that we use.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25176126&postcount=2

Associate
Hmmm, so... there was a patch for Dead Rising 3 tonight. They claim to have "improved" performance. Instead, it runs both cards flat out at 99% to give me around 25-30 fps.

However, thats not the problem. After about 5-10 minutes, the computer reboots (like I just switched it off at the wall, but then it reboots itself). Not sure if its the game. Also, I just checked the power connectors to the gpus, and burnt my finger on one of the heatpipes. It didn't go over 70 degrees. But is that normal? And can anyone help? I upgraded cause I wanted to play DR3 multi monitor!

Soldato
Didn't think the MSIs would look very good in my case as it's a blue theme, but I was wrong. Not a great pic as the S4 camera is naff in low light, but you get the idea.

20140925_211425_zps9d148229.jpg

Temps are fantastic considering there's an X-Fi PCI card sitting in between those two :eek: Max temp is hitting 75c on the top card (auto fan) after quite a few Heaven loops. That's running on a 1400 core clock on each as well by the way.

Overall, very impressed.

Associate
Didn't think the MSIs would look very good in my case as it's a blue theme, but I was wrong. Not a great pic as the S4 camera is naff in low light, but you get the idea.

Oooh, OK yeah that looks pretty cool. I'm having overclockers put together a complete system for me, and I've been holding out for the Gigabyte due to my case having blue lighting... but that doesn't look bad! Tempted to take the plunge and go for the MSIs instead now. (Also I'm going to be doing SLI as well.)

I wasn't going to have any watercooling in my case, just getting a decent fan cooler for the processor. Overclocking the i7 4790k by 12.5% (from 4.0ghz to 4.5ghz). Wondering if that's a good idea when doing MSI 970s in SLI - the cards are supposed to be very cool and efficient, but I'm wondering if SLI might generate enough heat to effect the processor. Is it worth me paying an extra £30 to watercool my processor?

Soldato
Does anyone think water cooling a 970 will really allow it to clock over 1500mhz on the core?

I'm not convinced things are temp limited here...

Associate
So after playing around with my 2 MSI 970s for a few days here is a few of the things I have observed :

1) 70c throttle sucks monkey balls. It breaks more things then it saves. Ive not tweaked my overclock yet but my top card throttles in heaven even at stock unless I put the fans on 100%

2) DSR at 4k eliminates more jaggies then any AA :) and I seem to be able to play most games at that res without any AA at 60fps

3) for some reason I get higher fps in batman arkham city with the settings up full then if I turn most of them down and that's at all resolutions..... very strange

4) watchdogs is oh so broken. I was getting a solid 60fps at 1600p while there were loads of explosions and it was night time and raining. I ran into an ally a few minutes later and bam my fps dropped to 20 while I was stood still looking up.

5) I can finally have this hooked up to my amp without my amp clicking every 2 seconds trying to handshake with the pc. Having that silence is worth the price I paid.

6) I thought when you use physix with the second card its supposed to eliminate fps drops? Doesn't seem to happen switching physix on in both the new batmans and in borderlands 2 makes them all stutter uncontrollably even when there's not much going on

Overall I'm glad I bought these cards. I love the fact I can play my games with the settings at max and even up the resolution to kill the jaggies

Soldato
Does anyone think water cooling a 970 will really allow it to clock over 1500mhz on the core?

I'm not convinced things are temp limited here...

Well the GPU/VRMs/RAM would all be running cooler, and IIRC the cooler a chip runs the less power it needs to do so. Add to that the fans wont be drawing any power (count's towards TDP) and a water cooled card will be drawing [marginally] less power in addition to running cooler so should increase head room even if temps are not an issue. And of course you can crank up the voltage and temps still won't be an issue.

The important bit really being you can crank the nuts off it and it will still produce 0dB full load :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at the block design I would guess it's the same base as the old 670/760 one just with the new clear plexi cover and terminals instead of the CSQ cover. Very cute though your right :p

Associate
So after playing around with my 2 MSI 970s for a few days here is a few of the things I have observed :

1) 70c throttle sucks monkey balls. It breaks more things then it saves. Ive not tweaked my overclock yet but my top card throttles in heaven even at stock unless I put the fans on 100% ?

I thought someone said you don't have to worry about temps and throttling with SLI MSI Gaming 970 ?

Back
Top Bottom