• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I thought someone said you don't have to worry about temps and throttling with SLI MSI Gaming 970 ?

I've hit 75c max on mine as I've got a pci sound card in between the cards at the moment (will sort this at some point). No throttling at all and stays at a mild 1400 core overclock.

Associate
Quite fancy a MSI Gaming but do they have the lame warranty stickers on the heatsink screws still?

Last MSI I had had a dead fan controller and ultimately I lost some warranty replacing the cooler. My choice but still not ideal.

Soldato
Quite fancy a MSI Gaming but do they have the lame warranty stickers on the heatsink screws still?

Last MSI I had had a dead fan controller and ultimately I lost some warranty replacing the cooler. My choice but still not ideal.

You are allowed to break the warranty seals, as long as YOU don't damage the card they will honor the warranty.

Associate
Anyone have an FT02 and a Gigabyte 970?

From another FT02 owner contemplating that card..

So I was getting quite excited about the possibility of getting two of these, but after doing some research it seems the Gigabyte card is not that great for the FT02 due to the cooler orientation being vertical rather than horizontal.
(Due to the rotated case when the card is installed the air flow will just hit the side of the fins rather than travelling up through them).

Additionally, apparently the heatpipe placement and length also plays into this a little bit too..

Bearing in mind this is also based on research from older generations but the same should probably hold true, reports of heat increase from cooler's that don't get on well seem to range from 2-3C to about 20C and considering the new rules with DSR I'm not sure I want to take the risk... there's also the small issue of the Gigabyte card being 29 - 30 CM. (The case seems to accommodate stuff up to 31 - 32 CM but exact information seems quite vague for lack of a better word).

One bit of information I took away from my research was that the vapour chamber type coolers seem to be unaffected by the case and the rotated orientation (which makes the prospect of a 970 with a Titan cooler seem interesting. I think Gibbo mentioned somewhere that the card was 2 - 3 weeks away however? (if it appears at all) and is likely to carry a small price premium.

Currently however the best bet in terms of cards from what I can see is the MSI card? The heatsink fins seem to go the right way and the heatpipe orientation looks good. (Sadly they have just gone out of stock though!).
Note: You can find pictures of the MSI, Gigabyte and Asus coolers somewhere in this thread I think which should clarify what I mean.

Would be great to hear from any FT02 owners and their experiences in regards to 970's as the FT02 makes most temperature comparisons from reviews inaccurate and therefore useless..

(As always take everything with a Pinch of salt as it depends on your environment, ultimately just go with whatever feels best for you I guess).

I'd have already jumped at the MSI card if it wasn't for the lack of display ports.. decisions, decisions!

Hope this helps you a little..

Soldato
One bit of information I took away from my research was that the vapour chamber type coolers seem to be unaffected by the case and the rotated orientation (which makes the prospect of a 970 with a Titan cooler seem interesting. I think Gibbo mentioned somewhere that the card was 2 - 3 weeks away however? (if it appears at all) and is likely to carry a small price premium

Just so you know, the 980, and presumably the 970, Titan "style" coolers don't have the vapour chamber.

"However in one of the only major deviations from the earlier GTX Titan cooler, at the base NVIDIA has dropped the vapor chamber design for a simpler (and admittedly less effective) heatpipe design that uses a trio of heatpipes to transfer heat from the GPU to the heatsink. In the case of the GTX Titan and other GK110 cards a vapor chamber was deemed necessary due to the GPU’s 250W TDP, but with GM204’s much lower 165W TDP, the advanced performance of the vapor chamber should not be necessary. We would have course like to see a vapor chamber here anyhow, but we admittedly can’t fault NVIDIA for going without it on such a low TDP part."

Soldato
Just ordered an Inno3D 970 GTX OC , hoping for it to arrive tomorrow.

Feel slightly dirty going over to the green team after being red for so long

Associate
Depends if you find your 670's are struggling. If not then I would stick and see what else comes along.

It't not so much they are struggling but more with the games I play have terrible SLI optimisation. If anyone has some benchmarks for Wildstar I would gladly like to hear the results.

Soldato
My card hasn't gone a degree over 60. Although trying to apply the 2/5/10% boost in the Inno3d software, works for 2 seconds, then back to stock :/ I'll try MSI Afterburner.

Back
Top Bottom