• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Not sure what I'm doing wrong with the DSR option on Nvidia control panel, I have it set for 1440 and 4k, I tried both resolutions on Assassins Creed 4, and as expected it cried at 4k. Then onto Euro truck sim 2 and the fps is above 100 at 4k. Must be something to do with in game scaling i'm sure. Very confused.com

Associate
Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix Overclocked:-

00003.jpg

Hey, what's the fan noise under load like on this card ?

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure what I'm doing wrong with the DSR option on Nvidia control panel, I have it set for 1440 and 4k, I tried both resolutions on Assassins Creed 4, and as expected it cried at 4k. Then onto Euro truck sim 2 and the fps is above 100 at 4k. Must be something to do with in game scaling i'm sure. Very confused.com

Some games are just much more demanding then others. DSR will most likely work best with games that run with ease with the highest settings at 1080p. Also try to remember to turn off MSAA when trying 4k if you haven't already, as it's not as necessary and will hurt performance.

Associate
well i made the change from a r290 vapor - x to the 970 msi gtx i have to say for me the difference is night and day. I never felt like i owned a premium card with the r290 althougth bench scores were good in game performance was rubbish and most the time it would struggle be it 1080P or 1440P.

My new msi gtx flys all games running smooth the thing i find funny is that bf4 runs better on my nvidea then it did amd. I know watchdogs is considered broken but it runs smooth my gtx same with dead rising 3 both of these games i couldent even look at on my amd card the fps dips were that bad.

Best decision i ever made getting rid of the r290 :)

23ual5c.jpg

cpu clock 4.5 @ 1.325

Overclock MSI Afterburner:

core voltage +60
power limit 110
core clock +185
Memory Clock +500
Card Temp under load 65c

Will be pushing this card further later , such a good clocker :)

Last edited:
Soldato
No sure why your 290 was struggling especially at 1080p. Seems something else might have been the cause like dodgy driver or faulty card. BF4 is perfectly smooth on the 290 for me at 1440p ?

Might be worth a post in the Heaven thread with your score.

Heaven 4 Benchmark thread

Enjoy and welcome to the forum..:)

Last edited:
Associate
No sure why your 290 was struggling especially at 1080p. Seems something else might have been the cause like dodgy driver or faulty card. BF4 is perfectly smooth on the 290 for me at 1440p ?

Thanks , im not sure why it struggled also psu had ample power in amps for card but i had 2 r290s and they were both the same the first was the referance card and the second the vapor x version. First had faulty memory went bad within 6 months the second black screend quite often.

Caporegime

as with anyone its your own pref.

some people will find 30 fps min fine some will find 60 fps fine.

crysis 3 can demolish under 60 mins even on two cards so nothing is rather overkill even at 1080.

Soldato
Thanks , im not sure why it struggled also psu had ample power in amps for card but i had 2 r290s and they were both the same the first was the referance card and the second the vapor x version. First had faulty memory went bad within 6 months the second black screend quite often.

Seems strange not seen any issues with my Tri-x ? Might have just been unlucky twice.

Soldato
as with anyone its your own pref.

some people will find 30 fps min fine some will find 60 fps fine.

crysis 3 can demolish under 60 mins even on two cards so nothing is rather overkill even at 1080.

I find the frame rate jumping around more annoying than a constant tbh.

I have a 970 gaming and it is a fantastic card and if buying new now an easy recommendation. Not sure I would switch from a 290 but if you have had issues like the chap above it makes sense.

I like the fans turning off when under 60.c and with my EVGA PSU doing the same the PC is eerily quite at idle. It's a nice feature.

Associate
I got my MSI card today, only had it in a few hours and this is what I have so far:

ASIC: 81.6%

Heaven 4 run:

GPU Core: 1600Mhz
Mem Clock: Stock (1752Mhz)
Power Limit: +110
Volts: Stock (1.2180)

Fan @ 75%
Max Temp: 57C

This is with no artifacts and smooth like butter.

I am off out for the weekend so I will put the clocks higher tomorrow night.

Is 1600mhz on GPU Core with no voltage increase common on these?

Associate
I got my MSI card today, only had it in a few hours and this is what I have so far:

ASIC: 81.6%

Heaven 4 run:

GPU Core: 1600Mhz
Mem Clock: Stock (1752Mhz)
Power Limit: +110
Volts: Stock (1.2180)

Fan @ 75%
Max Temp: 57C

This is with no artifacts and smooth like butter.

I am off out for the weekend so I will put the clocks higher tomorrow night.

Is 1600mhz on GPU Core with no voltage increase common on these?

Around same clocks as mine 1598 gpu clock and 2000 memory , did a asic check after seeing yours and mine comes in at 82% :) , cracking card cant wait to sli :)

Associate
egxru0.jpg

increased core to 1629

Image is over 1280x wide, if it is over 1280x wide then use spoiler tags.

Removed the tag as again it is over 1280x pixels wide.

Here are the forum FAQs
** image resized sorry

Last edited:
Associate
Are you on water with that core clock or not?

I decided to take the plunge to swap from two 670s to a 970 knowing I can use my dcuii water block on them. I'd rather upgrade/side grade to a single GPU with better power and get shut of my 670s before they lose even more value. Hopefully the games I play that have crappy sli profiles will benefit from the single GPU.

Back
Top Bottom