• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
I did find some rumours around the DCU II blocks fitting, but the Asus cards seem to have the lowest stock clocks of anything going according to Scan :confused:

The thing that I think is that the Asus card is actually under clocked for its potential so that it can take advantage of the silent/passive cooler it has. So in theory it is only 30% quieter than other cards because it runs slower hence no fans needed for cooling. If you're on water then that means nothing and with Asus build quality I'd be very surprised if they don't match or beat any of the other cards.

There have been issues with some of the cards build quality where parts are off on an angle and even if they had a block for them that they wouldn't fit.

I've ordered mine anyway so once it comes I'll be posting me results.

Associate
The thing that I think is that the Asus card is actually under clocked for its potential so that it can take advantage of the silent/passive cooler it has. So in theory it is only 30% quieter than other cards because it runs slower hence no fans needed for cooling. If you're on water then that means nothing and with Asus build quality I'd be very surprised if they don't match or beat any of the other cards.

Ah I see, I didn't know that about the coolers, I tend to catch up every now and then when there's hardware updates than keep up with everything, don't get a lot of time for it any more due to work!

I think I'll look into the DCU II cards a bit more and see if I can find some evidence of them fitting :)

Thanks

Edit:

Found this: http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=yRtuT68A

Although there's obviously no evidence of whether or not it was modded to fit, since there's no pictures of dremelling and some extensive pics of barcode labels and front/back fitment, I'm going to assume it bolted straight up!

Looks like it may also be the 670 backplate?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Quick update on my Asus GTX 970 Strix.

The card is working well, I have had a play and found a good stable overclock for the card, I have been playing BF4 & Crysis 3 with no issues.

Here are the benchmarks, do note my CPU is not overclocked so I am sure we will see better results from other Asus users soon.

00016.jpg

Capture_Cw.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Ordered my MSI 970 on launch but was away all of last week so only got to install it last night and im very impressed, its just totally bizzare seeing the fans not spinning :)

So far ive had a little tinker with afterburner, seems ok at 1500mhz core not tried any more, am I right in thinking there is no voltage adjustment on these?

Associate
Ordered my MSI 970 on launch but was away all of last week so only got to install it last night and im very impressed, its just totally bizzare seeing the fans not spinning :)

So far ive had a little tinker with afterburner, seems ok at 1500mhz core not tried any more, am I right in thinking there is no voltage adjustment on these?

You can add some but you need to update to the newest afterburner.

Soldato
Can EK hurry up and release some new blocks for these cards please so I can buy them thank you :'( haha :D

But the 970 runs so cool that they hardly need anything more than those non-reference coolers tho :(

I myself went from a full loop with 7970 lightning Xfire to a CPU only loop with 970 G1 Gaming SLI just because they run bloody cool anyway :D

Associate
But the 970 runs so cool that they hardly need anything more than those non-reference coolers tho :(

I myself went from a full loop with 7970 lightning Xfire to a CPU only loop with 970 G1 Gaming SLI just because they run bloody cool anyway :D

Yeah its great to have the performance boost over the first generation Kepler/ Tahiti cards, but the fact that they're so much cooler running makes it even sweeter. As long as you avoid those plastic reference blowers from the 680 you're golden.

Associate

But tubes looks cool, so, more tubes!

And I am no longer an intruder on the thread! Just ordered my 2x Asus 970 and 670 blocks from EK... can finally get rid of the bright blue MSI LED's that look out of place in my rig! Will report back if I have any issues fitting the blocks.

Soldato
with the GTX 970 SLI you can reduce the cooling quite a lot, i might refit the Corsair fans....all you need now is a cold draft, rather than a Venum Viper Tornado .....lol

Last edited:
Associate
Yay I got 5 GTX 970 ! love 'em all :D 3x Gainward GTX 970 4GB & 2x MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G. Amazing cards.

Those Gainward cards with their own radial blower fan OC excellent and can keep the heat at bay even when stacked together.

Associate
with the GTX 970 SLI you can reduce the cooling quite a lot, i might refit the Corsair fans....all you need now is a cold draft, rather than a Venum Viper Tornado .....lol

I use speedfan and a 3 way pwm splitter to control rad fans - although I need to set it all up again since a reinstall a while back, think I'm actually using a bios option for it atm! Keeps things quiet and ramps the fans up when you need it.

Associate
Would you guys say a 970 is a worthwhile upgrade form a 670? It feels like it may be the right time to upgrade :)

O yes, you should see a very nice speed increase. About 80% faster. Not to mention other factors such as 4GB video ram, DX12 and on some models 0db fan curve etc.

Back
Top Bottom