• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Are you on water with that core clock or not?

air default fan profile max temp 68c.

Damn, 1629 core..

Don't think i can do much more than this on mine
b6abc4cd_6eAm5WE.jpeg

i can go higher but seems to be only a few frames gaining now , will try again later as interested to see how far can go :)

Soldato
Aww man! Delivery not until Monday, even though it made it to Feltham (just down the road) last night :(

That means I'm going to have to ask CS to change my delivery address to work, no one will be here on Monday.

If it is just down the road then pop down with your drivers licence or passport and ask for it, my local DPD depot have always been fine with giving me my parcels on Saturdays/Sundays as long as I bring ID.

Associate
Under load the fans are running about 37% this is inaudible on my system, this maintains about 68c temps.

If I manually put the fans up they are audible above my systems very quiet noctua's at about 60%.

This^

I just installed my MSI 970, into a case with 3x120mm Noctua's running at 650rpm (meaning they are silent.) The MSI doesn't seem to lift it's fan speed very much - even under continual Heaven benchmarking it remains very quiet.

If I manually set the fan to 50%, it's still silent. At 60% you can just about hear it, and at 70% upwards you can definitely hear it if you have a quiet build like mine.

Soldato
As Ive just moved back to nV after a lot of years, is Afterburner worth it for non-MSI 970's?

If not, is there any other app I should be using instead?

Associate
Hi Guys,

Looking into ordering a GTX 970 SLI setup to watercool, is there any confirmed water block fitments without dremel mods yet? Can't seem to find anything on the usual forums!

Also do all of the 970's support overvoltage or do I need to look for a specific card?

Soldato
Trying to install my 2 MSI 970's but system keeps crashing, top card is red hot to touch, doesn't seem good.

Wonder if it's because the system keeps starting and stopping, not giving the fans enough time to cool the card down. :/

Associate
Hi Guys,

Looking into ordering a GTX 970 SLI setup to watercool, is there any confirmed water block fitments without dremel mods yet? Can't seem to find anything on the usual forums!

Also do all of the 970's support overvoltage or do I need to look for a specific card?

Check out this thread, http://www.overclock.net/t/1514042/gtx-670-waterblock-on-a-gtx-970/10.

There are certain 670 blocks that fit on 970's. I've ordered an Asus Strix 970 because I already have DCU II waterblocks from my 670's. These are only a few reports and if you prefer its probably a good Idea to wait and hear from EK.

Keep an eye in the watercooling sub forum there because once I get my card I'll be posting up the results of this little experiment.

Soldato
I'm interested in those myself. Just unsure on the coolers.
I wonder if the fans turn off at idle.

Hey dude, just got one of my Inno3D cards in and the silence is blissful :)

With my system at idle the case fans are running 7dB, the roof rad fans are running 8dB and the PSU fan and front rad fans are off, I can slightly hear the GFX fans, but it's not loud enough to annoy and more importantly the tone is infinity better than the Galax fans which I think was more of an issue than the volume anyway.

If I spool my roof radiator fans up to full speed (800RPM) they completely drown out any idle noise from the GFX fans, and these fans are rated at 11dB so that should give an idea of how quiet the GFX fans are at idle.

As for the card itself I am blown away, I can't believe these [originally] cost the same amount as Galax blowers, the build quality is in a completely different league, the silver parts of the cooler shroud are metal not plastic, the card itself is noticeably smaller but heavier too due to the more substantial heat sink, it has a sort of armour type metal sheath over most of the PCB and it's visible that the chokes are perfectly aligned and normal sized (something to note for the future. Plus each card came with a copy of 3Dmark and a gaming mouse mat :O

Associate
Trying to install my 2 MSI 970's but system keeps crashing, top card is red hot to touch, doesn't seem good.

Wonder if it's because the system keeps starting and stopping, not giving the fans enough time to cool the card down. :/

Sound like a PSU issue, I would look elsewhere before considering overheating as the cause. These cards are designed to handle high temps, even if the threshold is reached they will simply aggressively clock down.

What PSU do you have?

Soldato
Hey dude, just got one of my Inno3D cards in and the silence is blissful :)

With my system at idle the case fans are running 7dB, the roof rad fans are running 8dB and the PSU fan and front rad fans are off, I can slightly hear the GFX fans, but it's not loud enough to annoy and more importantly the tone is infinity better than the Galax fans which I think was more of an issue than the volume anyway.

If I spool my roof radiator fans up to full speed (800RPM) they completely drown out any idle noise from the GFX fans, and these fans are rated at 11dB so that should give an idea of how quiet the GFX fans are at idle.

As for the card itself I am blown away, I can't believe these [originally] cost the same amount as Galax blowers, the build quality is in a completely different league, the silver parts of the cooler shroud are metal not plastic, the card itself is noticeably smaller but heavier too due to the more substantial heat sink, it has a sort of armour type metal sheath over most of the PCB and it's visible that the chokes are perfectly aligned and normal sized (something to note for the future. Plus each card came with a copy of 3Dmark and a gaming mouse mat :O

Glad to hear :) I have the 780ti version and I really like the looks and build quality, so no issues there.
Have you tested the card under load? Wondering what kind of temps you will get.

Soldato
Sound like a PSU issue, I would look elsewhere before considering overheating as the cause. These cards are designed to handle high temps, even if the threshold is reached they will simply aggressively clock down.

What PSU do you have?

Seems ok now :) Have just checked the ASIC quality of my cards, 67% :( I reckon they'll be poor clockers. :(

Soldato
I used to think ASIC quality didn't mean much, but I've had two 780 Ti's that had an ASIC quality of ~66% and neither could hit 1200Mhz.
Could be just a coincidence I suppose.

Associate
Check out this thread, http://www.overclock.net/t/1514042/gtx-670-waterblock-on-a-gtx-970/10.

There are certain 670 blocks that fit on 970's. I've ordered an Asus Strix 970 because I already have DCU II waterblocks from my 670's. These are only a few reports and if you prefer its probably a good Idea to wait and hear from EK.

Keep an eye in the watercooling sub forum there because once I get my card I'll be posting up the results of this little experiment.

Thanks for that, I did find that thread and without reading every word cover to cover all I could find was lots of speculation and dremelling but no definite "hey this fits this"

I did find some rumours around the DCU II blocks fitting, but the Asus cards seem to have the lowest stock clocks of anything going according to Scan :confused:

Reading around a bit more there doesn't seem to be any 'voltage editions' etc so I assume all of the cards can be overvolted?

Soldato
Glad to hear :) I have the 780ti version and I really like the looks and build quality, so no issues there.
Have you tested the card under load? Wondering what kind of temps you will get.

Using the standard fan profile the temps reaches 60's while gaming, using the Afterburner default custom curve they reached 50's (wasn't noticeably louder), I didn't try benching at auto fan speeds because my case airflow is designed for blower GPU's or watercooled ones.

Back
Top Bottom