• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Permabanned
Awesome but will this allow us to flash custom bios?

I've not been able to get it work, the programs attempt to flash but Keplar BIOS Editor doesn't read or write the BIOS's correctly resulting in a certificate mismatch.

I've only tried one version though, the version that can edit GTX750 BIOS's might work.

Last edited:
Permabanned
FLASHING GUIDE

NOTE: This should work with the GTX980 too!

Please remember that if something goes wrong and your card gets turned into a paper weight myself or Overclockser UK are not responsible. Do this at your own risk.

This is going to be quick and easy :D

1. Download the BIOS that you wish to flash and rename it to new.rom

2. Download the NVFlash from here

3. Extract the contents to your location of choice

4. This bit is important, you need to uninstall your Nvidia drivers, the flashing procedure WILL NOT WORK with the drivers installed.

5. With the drivers uninstalled you can now start the flashing procedure but first I recommend you backup your original BIOS. There are 2 batch files in the NVFlash folder, one of them says 'Save Bios' run this batch file as an administrator and follow the prompts to backup your BIOS. Your original BIOS will be saved as old.rom

6. With the original BIOS now saved you can now flash your new BIOS, simply run the batch file called 'Flash Bios' and follow the prompts.

7. Once NVFlash is finished simply restart you PC and re-install your Nvidia drivers.

NOTES: From my quick testing custom modified BIOS's do not work as Keplar BIOS Editor doesn't read or write the BIOS's correctly resulting in a certificate mismatch. However I have not tried any software that edits a GTX750 Maxwell BIOS so there's a small chance these might work and change the BIOS successfully.

If like me there is a card that's based on the same PCB but has higher clocks, voltage and TDP limits then you shouldn't have any problems.

Soldato
Ok guys, just installed my 2x MSI 970s -

I moved my entire PC into a different case, changed the cpu cooler, and also changed from a single Ti to dual 970s. Whenever I start up the PC, everything is normal up to the Windows loading screen and then the monitor goes into power save mode. If I restart the same thing happens. Sometimes after a few seconds it wakes up to the password screen and I can log into windows just fine. Other times I've had to remove display port or Dvi from gfx card and reinsert it and the monitors wake up. In Windows everything is fine but this issue happens when restarting or when switching on. Any ideas?

BTW, I have 3 screens and at the moment two are connected via Dvi and one is connected via display port. I'm certain the gfx cards are fine as it was happening with both of them when I tried them individually.

My pc was initially set to fast boot in the bios but I've changed that to normal boot. What's the best way to connect the two cards to my monitors anyway? Is one connection superior in any way to the other? Is it better they are all connected via Dvi?

Permabanned
yea right....you ask for trouble dont you............if it works ok leave it alone !!!!:cool:

My card had a high voltage offset of +87mv but was let down by the weak +6% tdp limit, this resulted in my card being completely limited to a boost speed of 1440Mhz due to being capped by the tdp.

With the new BIOS the tdp limit is now +11% and my card now boosts constantly over 1.5Ghz.

Soldato
Gah! My stupid ebay stuff didn't sell... not yet anyway

I see the MSI's are nearly gone again - will there be more on order after that too?

i expect so, they're just too popular, this card on 1080p is almost too powerful for SLI next month, because i play ``old school`` shooters most of the time and i'm getting 160FPS without the fans even coming on :eek::eek: it's flipping crazy:eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
My card had a high voltage offset of +87mv but was let down by the weak +6% tdp limit, this resulted in my card being completely limited to a boost speed of 1440Mhz due to being capped by the tdp.

With the new BIOS the tdp limit is now +11% and my card now boosts constantly over 1.5Ghz.

yes but i bet it wont work once you get driver updates or Nvidia updates, i've got a better idea for you........ just buy another card next month :cool:

Permabanned
yes but i bet it wont work once you get driver updates or Nvidia updates, i've got a better idea for you........ just buy another card next month :cool:

Dude it's a BIOS.... drivers or updates won't do zip or cause any issues... Sounds like you've never actually flashed a BIOS.

And I've got an even better idea for you, buy 2 cards and flash them both.

Permabanned
Thinking about it why I am I not listed as an owner in first post?

I think my flashing post should be in the OP too, EVGA have a few different SKU's available which may benefit from a BIOS flash.

Permabanned
Can it play Crysis?

348j79x.png

I would say so :p

GPU load wasn't even maxed out either o.O

Back
Top Bottom