• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
This was while a full bench of Valley was happening.

nLvgcT0.jpg

wow look at your fan speed, no wonder your GPU core clock is so high, my fan is on zero !!!!!:D

if i want to OC higher i'll deffo need the fan speed and power limit increased, my mem clock is 1866MHz

your card must be pretty noisy at 70%

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone got the inno3d? Just wondering if my temps compare . it goes to mid 70's in shadow of mordor

I have two of them and I can't get the temps above low 40's no matter what I do, I have overclocked them but I haven't touched the fan curves, though I did change the TIM when fitting the water blocks that may have helped :p

Associate
I rebooted a few times and the problem persisted. Just now I uninstalled MSI Afterburner, shut down, booted up, installed EVGA PrecisionX, set my overclock, and after playing about with the fan speeds manually it seems fixed. Guess it could be an Afterburner bug?

I been having issues with AB aswell,after being open for a while,it causes my clocks to not downclock in idle/desktop state.Keeps the Core clock at base speed and mem at max,closing AB makes no difference,card is just stuck sucking 23%ish TDP with high clocks.Only way to fix it and let the card properly idle again is a restart.

Switched over to Precision,having no problems so far.Hopefully wehatever causes this will be fixed in the next AB update.Its a far better piece of software compared to Precision imo

Associate
Has anyone got the inno3d? Just wondering if my temps compare . it goes to mid 70's in shadow of mordor, granted I don't have a great case and have no cable management . one thing about the inno3d is that's its very short , my old 480 is huge compared to it . eventually I want a smaller case

I would say that this operating temperature is OK.

If you look in Precision X then the target temp is 79deg and power 100%. I interpret this as the card will boost until this limit is reached.

You have to help it by providing enough cooling which is GPU fan speed and case cooling. Too much fan speed and it will be too loud but too little and the card will throttle - you will see the boost clocks fall back greatly at the 79 temp.

So you can set the fan curve to be quiet at idle but high enough at mid 70s to stop throttling. If you can't get the cooling you need at acceptable fan noise - esp in a small case then its time to be pragmatic - first don't over clock then think about dropping the temp target towards 70 and/or the power target towards 85%

Associate
Still waiting for mine to turn up, however the tubing I've received is naff (from a competitor, not overclockers) so I'll be running air bench style while I sort that out :( however digging around in all my pc bits I found my old 470 which I thought I'd sold... Any opinions on running it as a physx card with the 970 SLi? Or even consider my 770 as a dedicated physx? I'm rethinking my loop since I need to get new tubing anyway, so I can order the necessary fittings etc at the same time if I do run it.

Even as a physx card I'd run on water for noise, plus, more tubes.

Associate
Not even for the tubes?! Fair enough, although I did wonder on the heat input, would it actually develop much just running physx or would it remain fairly cool on what I assume is a pretty light load?

Soldato
Running a decent card plus a dated card for PhysX is actually worse for performance than just running it off the main card. The least you would want for a PhysX card with a GTX970 is a GTX750 (I know it's not quite as powerful as a 470 but it does better for PhysX due to being newer).

Associate
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. Never really messed around with separate physx cards so I wasn't sure what the requirements were like.

Hopefully the things actually turn up sometime today now!!

Associate
Well it seems, looking at my account page that I won't be seeing my cards today after paying a premium for Saturday delivery as they've not even been shipped!

Back
Top Bottom