• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
You have an awesome card there, you won the silicone lottery! I think maybe my 620 watt PSU is holding me back but I'll try again tonight as I'm sure I can get more than +170 on the core, just need to lower the memory speed from 500 first.

if ur psu is restarting when u have full load gpu, then yes

Caporegime
OP
There's no way your PSU is holding you back unless it's faulty. Even overclocked one of the reviews showed under 400w system load I think it was. To get rid of tearing completely you need to use sync, so vsync or gsync. One has its drawbacks the other is expensive.

Caporegime
OP
Aye it's usually core that makes the driver restart with a DX error, you can usually tell when it's memory as you'll get a solid colour screen crash, usually black or grey and need a hard reset.

Associate
Hey guys , I was purchasing a 980 airboss but stock moved back and I was to impatient to wait an added week lol :D , anywho I purchased 2 Galax 970 ex oc versions to stick in sli , anybody have experience with these cards and has more info or can direct me to more info ? They'll be here tomoz with the new board , can this one fan out the two not running until under load be over ridden by afterburner? How's peoples temps with sli on these cards

Associate
ok just put my PC together with 2x MSI in SLI...

So far max temp on the top card has hit 79 degrees... running them in a micro atx mobo so distance between the cards is quite tight....

This is suing the default fan profile

Soldato
Thinking of getting this card as an upgrade for my 580 GTX.

I've been looking at both the

EVGA 970 GTX Super Clocked ACX 2.0
MSI GTX 970 Gaming Twin Frozr

They're pretty much the same price so is there actually much difference between brands?

Associate
Can anyone recommend a brand that is the least likely to get a noisy coil?
I also generally need one that is as quiet as possible in general.
I only game at 1080p so I am mostly getting for low power usage and
I intend to run quite a few games at 144fps, vsync on, so I would expect the coil to be audible on a card that has that problem?

Associate
i dont think its about the actual coil but about the FPS, lots of stuff that is 200fps+ will coil whine although mine is just about some electrical buzz through the headset rather than the card.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a brand that is the least likely to get a noisy coil?
I also generally need one that is as quiet as possible in general.
I only game at 1080p so I am mostly getting for low power usage and
I intend to run quite a few games at 144fps, vsync on, so I would expect the coil to be audible on a card that has that problem?

The MSI seems to be the one to go for.
The ASUS and Gigabyte are good too but cost more. And the Gigabyte lacks the passive cooling at idle.

Back
Top Bottom