• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
The two limits I see in Precision X are 100% power and 79deg temp so I would expect the card to boost till it reaches one of those limits in a benchmark. The only downside with a non-blower card is the air stays in the case and with a SFF case (I have a SUGO mini-itx) this means the CPU and MB temps might suffer.

For its size - 8in long and standard height the Inno3D does pretty well with a pair of 90mm fans - I think slightly better than the similar Zotac.

Compared with, say, the MSI which is longer and a fair bit taller than standard it might be louder on load but heat output can be managed by lowering the power target - the 970 is plenty powerful enough plus a fan curve to manage the fan speed at a 70deg operating temp. The minimum fan speed is 1140 rpm so I can hear them above my case fan at idle as there is no 0rpm option but in other systems you wouldn't notice them.

None of this is criticism - just observation. The 970 is 28nm with a fair voltage and high clocks so I doubt if it really runs games at some of the temps that are banded around

Last edited:
Soldato
Wonder if lowering the memory would allow me to I crease the core, and would that give me better performance?

Thats what usually is the case however the rule of thumb is to push the GPU upto maximum stable and memory at stock. Then once happy with the GPU speed start pushing the memory up till stable.

Although if you are impatient like me you just whack them up.

Associate
Since Thursday 02/10 I have been the very happy owner if the MSI 970.

Its amazing! on my not to amazing pc.

I have never seen it go above 63C in my case. The fan pops on and goes up to 950 rpm and the temps go back to 57C-60C at about 600 rpm give or take. and that's with +200Mhz GPU+RAM in Afterburner.

Im well happy with it.

Soldato
Thats what usually is the case however the rule of thumb is to push the GPU upto maximum stable and memory at stock. Then once happy with the GPU speed start pushing the memory up till stable.

Although if you are impatient like me you just whack them up.

I see. I'm going to try again tonight, this time start with +200 on memory and +170 on Core. Hoping to get above 210 on both.

Deleted member 66701

Deleted member 66701

Pre ordered two MSI 970 Gaming cards and a couple of EK thermosphere water blocks (along with the bits for my sons build, he's having one of my Asus matrix 7970's ;) ).

Coming back to Nvidia for the first time since I had an 8800GTX :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Afterburner GPU: +240 Mem: +600 with a custom fan curve on stock volts.

Max fan speed hitting 45% at peak and temps peaking about 55c when DSR is up to 4k.

Fantastic cards.

EDIT: When gaming.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

Deleted member 66701

Will be interesting to see how the thermosphere works. I may grab one instead of waiting for a full block

Yeah - looking at the "dismantled" pics of the MSI it already has the VRMs and top side ram chips passively cooled - should be an ideal card for a "chip only" block. Just a shame the thermospheres are nearly as price as full cover blocks! Still, at least I can take these to the next card I upgrade too, so there'll be a saving in the long term.

Soldato
Yeah - looking at the "dismantled" pics of the MSI it already has the VRMs and top side ram chips passively cooled - should be an ideal card for a "chip only" block. Just a shame the thermospheres are nearly as price as full cover blocks! Still, at least I can take these to the next card I upgrade too, so there'll be a saving in the long term.

Might grab one and some new tubing.

Thing is at the moment don't think it's worth putting it under water as currently the temps aren't stopping the overclocking.

Volts and power limits are :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Afterburner GPU: +240 Mem: +600 with a custom fan curve on stock volts.

Max fan speed hitting 45% at peak and temps peaking about 55c when DSR is up to 4k.

Fantastic cards.

Wow that's a brilliant OC! Run heaven and post your results, you might have the fastest 970 here :cool:

Deleted member 66701

Deleted member 66701

Might grab one and some new tubing.

Thing is at the moment don't think it's worth putting it under water as currently the temps aren't stopping the overclocking.

Volts and power limits are :(

I know, but seems a shame to have all the other WC gear and not cool the cards as well ;)

Associate
Wow that's a brilliant OC! Run heaven and post your results, you might have the fastest 970 here :cool:

Score 1653

This is with the volts up to add the extra 10Mhz on Mem, volts are not making a difference to the overclock.

Much cooler when gaming too.

My issue is throttling on the power limit! This card would smash the bench's with a custom bios.

Also had 14177 3DMark Fire GFX score.
1iyp70A.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Score 1653

This is with the volts up to add the extra 10Mhz on Mem, volts are not making a difference to the overclock.

Much cooler when gaming too.

My issue is throttling on the power limit! This card would smash the bench's with a custom bios.

Also had 14177 3DMark Fire GFX score.
1iyp70A.jpg

You have an awesome card there, you won the silicone lottery! I think maybe my 620 watt PSU is holding me back but I'll try again tonight as I'm sure I can get more than +170 on the core, just need to lower the memory speed from 500 first.

Caporegime
OP
That's an awesome card you've got there Scramz, over 14k graphics score on 3dmark is an amazing score for the so called mid range card :D

You can tell from your graph though in GPU-Z that the card is throttling quite badly at that clock, 1630 was the max but it seems it was running lower than that for most of the run. Thing is it looks like custom bios won't be possible at the moment :/

Last edited:
Associate
That's an awesome card you've got there Scramz, over 14k graphics score on 3dmark is an amazing score for the so called mid range card :D

You can tell from your graph though in GPU-Z that the card is throttling quite badly at that clock, 1630 was the max but it seems it was running lower than that for most of the run.

It was running just under which is a shame because the core is kicking ***.

I think i will flash with a bios with a higher power target and see what it can do.

Back
Top Bottom