• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I don't think our cards are faulty as such, it is going to run at high 70s on furmark and valley.

As I mentioned on a couple of replies if you look at Precision X the temp limit is 79 so it's designed to work up to that temp - but the fan will need to be at 60+% - pretty loud.

So yes it's disappointing perhaps if you compare with what some others claim their brands can do. It's also disappointing at idle as the min is 1140rpm - clearly audible - no 0 rpm for us just like the EVGA ACX 1.0

If you have the space for an MSI for example whose fans are much larger in area I would return and swap.

Would love to swap for the MSI but ocuk are telling me I have to pay up to 25% stocking fee. So I'm stuck with it

Man of Honour
My Gigabyte reference 980 card arrived last Thursday..

Funded by selling a some parts i had floating around and the sale of my R9 290, i actually only paid £50 of myu own cash.. Happy days.

Very impressed. Runs notably quieter and cooler than the 290 which I could feel the excessive heat coming from my top fans. I can feel cool air now.

Managed to crank the Core and memory frequencies up a bit too for some improved benchmark scores and CoH2 is running lovely and seamless.

Associate
Would love to swap for the MSI but ocuk are telling me I have to pay up to 25% stocking fee. So I'm stuck with it
Likewise, so some options would be: a) sell it privately - many stores are out of stock at the moment or b) use Precision X to keep things within the limits of your current case cooling.
For instance reduce Power Target to 85%. I match this with a fan curve that is 37% up to 55 deg then 62% at 74deg then 100% at 90deg. Hopefully this keeps things in the low 70s at a tolerable fan volume.

Soldato
managed to get +225 on cpu and +225 on gpu in about 10 mins, valley run was successful. Can push it a little bit more.
Produces almost no heat id assume power drain isnt that great either.
Amazing card, rip 780

Another question
Is it worth flashing new/custom bios on msi 970?

You mean +225 on Core Clock and +225 on the memory?

Man of Honour
My Gigabyte reference 980 card arrived last Thursday..

Funded by selling a some parts i had floating around and the sale of my R9 290, i actually only paid £50 of myu own cash.. Happy days.

Very impressed. Runs notably quieter and cooler than the 290 which I could feel the excessive heat coming from my top fans. I can feel cool air now.

Managed to crank the Core and memory frequencies up a bit too for some improved benchmark scores and CoH2 is running lovely and seamless.

How about a Heaven 4 bench score, see if you can beat Gibbo's 2058 score.:D

Associate
Guys quick question about the gtx 970 g1 on pre-order never bought anything on pre order before how does it work will they take the money straight away. Im just putting money in the bank right now than going home to order. I have direct debt set-up so i dont money going their .

so will the pre order deduct money straight away.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the Zotac gaming edition and I know I've sacrificed overclock headroom, temp and noise for something that fits in my case easily and didn't cost a fortune.

What I'd like to know about is safe temps. I've been playing around with fan curves but the card wants to sit at 70c while gaming on the default profile.

Is this ok? I don't really want something that has to be bodged to stay problem free.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom