• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GTX 980 Owners Thread

Soldato
Honest opinion guys,

It is worth me getting one of these? looking at the EVGA SC.. benchmark scores look great but does that translate to games to?

TBH if i was on 290x's i wouldnt Unless i wanted a specific Nvidia feature
Wait for AMD's answer/full fat maxwell imo

Soldato
Cheers for the opinions so far guys,

I thought as much, really have the urge to upgrade and i do fancy giving the green team ago again, try shadow play etc but that alone isn't enough to sway me :(.

Scotty could you chime in bud if possible on your opinions?

Cheers

Caporegime
Just do it, only cost you £100 or so after selling the 290x and it's a new toy to keep you amused with for a few days.

Nothing makes much logical sense in the GPU world unless you skip generations and get 50%+ gains.

If you're thinking about it then something is making you want to buy it.

Soldato
Soldato
Just do it, only cost you £100 or so after selling the 290x and it's a new toy to keep you amused with for a few days.

Nothing makes much logical sense in the GPU world unless you skip generations and get 50%+ gains.

If you're thinking about it then something is making you want to buy it.

Cheers Ayahuasca,

I do fancy giving nvidia a go again and i love how well these seem to clock (i love overclocking)... need to have a think.
Happy to offer an opinion.

No, I wouldn't swap unless you want Nvidia specifics

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26930207&postcount=49

Cheers Scotty much appreciated, going to have a think on what to do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers for the opinions so far guys,

I thought as much, really have the urge to upgrade and i do fancy giving the green team ago again, try shadow play etc but that alone isn't enough to sway me :(.

Scotty could you chime in bud if possible on your opinions?

Cheers

If you enjoy benching and overclocking then these are the clear winners. If not that bothered then stay as you are.

Soldato
Cheers Ayahuasca,

I do fancy giving nvidia a go again and i love how well these seem to clock (i love overclocking)... need to have a think.

Cheers Scotty much appreciated, going to have a think on what to do.

And it will cost you more £200 as 290x used are about £250, is that worth it for equivalent performance and a few hours finding max OC.

Soldato
I'm still undecided what to do. Wish these had come out a month later when it would be too late for me to return my 295x2 & 290X. I wouldn't bother 'upgrading' to 980s, but since I could still send it back...

I can come up with perfectly good reasons to send them back and perfectly good reasons to keep them.

It annoys me that the 295x2 won't overclock much, but I've not overclocked any of my current cards (I've tested it but don't run it). Keep telling myself I will when I watercool.

I worry that if I get rid of my AMD cards something good will come out that supports Mantle.

I also worry that these will either quickly drop in price or Nvidia will soon release a higher end part (and they will drop in price).

I'd want 3 of these cards which would mean more cables and worse airflow than the 2 AMD cards. But should be cooler temps and slightly less power draw.

I just don't know what to do.

Will the 256-bit bus combined with faster memory be better or worse than a 512-bit bus combined with slower memory for 4K gaming?

Associate
Yeah, I thought it may be for the benefit of a better chip Carrot, just wasn't certain. Thanks.

Looks like I'll be nabbing one of these for my upcoming build, just hope a wild 980ti doesn't suddenly appear.

Soldato
OP
this is in insane...

I was using an old 570 (my backup GPU as 7990 died)

idle watt for 570 + rest of PC = 225w
idle watt for 2x 980 + rest of system = 130w

using a multimeter from wall

:D lol

Soldato
Really do go well for reference cooled, deadly quiet also. EK need to pull their finger out

1a1ff492_FS48.png

Back
Top Bottom