• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Soldato
I'm not sure if they've clarified this. I kinda assumed any G-Sync compatible card would work but they could very easily just restrict it to RTX to bump up sales of the RTX 2060 especially.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/
We will test monitors that deliver a baseline VRR experience on GeForce GTX 10-Series and GeForce RTX 20-Series graphics cards, and activate their VRR features automatically, enabling GeForce gamers to find and buy VRR monitors that will improve their gaming experience.

So GTX 10 and RTX20 series.

Soldato
It had to happen, what nVidia didn't foresee when going down the proprietary rout is future compatibility with next generation features, such as HDR, nVidia can't get HDR working on G-Sync without a $500 chip on the $200 G-Sync Module, its why HDR G-Sync screen cost $1500+

G-Sync is done for, AMD's solution won out.

The reason those panels are expensive is down to NVIDIA wholely dictating the pricing. It has little to do with combination of technologies

Caporegime
I'm not sure if they've clarified this. I kinda assumed any G-Sync compatible card would work but they could very easily just restrict it to RTX to bump up sales of the RTX 2060 especially.

Its how it starts, it will get phased in from here on.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/
We will test monitors that deliver a baseline VRR experience on GeForce GTX 10-Series and GeForce RTX 20-Series graphics cards, and activate their VRR features automatically, enabling GeForce gamers to find and buy VRR monitors that will improve their gaming experience.

So GTX 10 and RTX20 series.

:thumbsup:

Soldato
If 400 out of 400 monitors worked flawlessly with it I suspect it wouldn't have happened

I think that it may be a bit more Nvidia than that. They can't just say oh yeah by the way, those over priced Gsync modules you were having to buy, in all those expensive monitors, yeah you don't need those any old Freesync will work.

By doing it this way they soften the blow by selecting certain 'qualified' monitors and thus not upsetting the status quo between the current G-sync owners feeling ripped off, and those that have bought the higher end Freesync monitors albeit at a lesser price. Give it 6-12 months once the impact has lessened and there are far few brand new owners of Gsync monitors, and the list will magically get longer as the 'qualify' more monitors. ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This is the highlight of the show for me - even with limited options now it's still fantastic news and will hopefully spell the end for gsync.

I do wonder what it means for the BFGD range when you have the likes of LG offering new 120Hz 4k OLED with HDMI 2.1 supporting VRR :eek: I know where I'd rather spend my monies ...
Yeah, I may get one of these as my next monitor in about a year as prices start to drop :D

4K, 120Hz, Freesync/G-Sync, OLED, proper HDR, 5 year warranty! What more can one ask for?

Would be nice if they offered smaller than 55" I suppose, but I can get used to sitting a bit further back I suppose :)

Soldato
It had to happen, what nVidia didn't foresee when going down the proprietary rout is future compatibility with next generation features, such as HDR, nVidia can't get HDR working on G-Sync without a $500 chip on the $200 G-Sync Module, its why HDR G-Sync screen cost $1500+

G-Sync is done for, AMD's solution won out.
Also, they've finally realised users would not be happy with a ****ing great propeller strapped to the back of their £1000+ screen lol

Caporegime
Great news for NVidia owners and I can see this hurting AMD. Buying a NVidia GPU and G-Sync screen was/is expensive. Buying a VRR screen and an NVidia GPU will be a tempting offer for those who are on a tighter budget.

Caporegime
Also, they've finally realised users would not be happy with a ****ing great propeller strapped to the back of their £1000+ screen lol

lol :D

Tim From HWU think nVidia are phasing this in slowly, what they don't want to do is say that Free-Sync is good enough after saying for years G-Sync is better, Steve says they have actually been doing it for years, their G-Sync Laptops use Visa Adaptive Sync.

https://youtu.be/xKEwtY8udlw?t=521

Great news for NVidia owners and I can see this hurting AMD. Buying a NVidia GPU and G-Sync screen was/is expensive. Buying a VRR screen and an NVidia GPU will be a tempting offer for those who are on a tighter budget.

This isn't going to hurt AMD.

Associate
the good news upset you

Associate
This sounds like great news.

For some reason part of me think that there will be a performance hit for people using a freesync screen.

Then NVidia can try to justify why you need to still pay the premium for a Gsync screen.

Soldato
Wonder if this will affect amd gpu sales ?

Recently purchasing a vega 56 the fact that I already had a freesync monitor definitely had an affect on the decision. Would probably still go red as I like wattman.

Back
Top Bottom