• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Associate
I read somewhere in this thread that the driver only enables Freesync for 10-series cards and above. What I haven't seen (I haven't read the entire thread) is if nVidia will ever allow it on older cards, or if it'll be something that can be hacked to work by other means. I have a 980ti and though I don't have a gsync or a freesync monitor, I might consider buying a new one if the tech would work with my card.
900 and below doesn't have the hardware required (displayport 1.2a). nvidia have confirmed 1000 and 2000 series only.

Last edited:
Soldato
I read somewhere in this thread that the driver only enables Freesync for 10-series cards and above. What I haven't seen (I haven't read the entire thread) is if nVidia will ever allow it on older cards, or if it'll be something that can be hacked to work by other means. I have a 980ti and though I don't have a gsync or a freesync monitor, I might consider buying a new one if the tech would work with my card.

If nvidia enabled freesync over HDMI then it could be possible for the likes of the 980ti to work with freesync because I believe they support version HDMI 2.0.

But then you would also need a Compatible monitor.

Soldato
If nvidia enabled freesync over HDMI then it could be possible for the likes of the 980ti to work with freesync because I believe they support version HDMI 2.0.

But then you would also need a Compatible monitor.

I bought and set up my PC about 3½ years ago and haven't touched it since, so I had no idea how it was connected to the monitor. A quick check around the back shows a cable that isn't an HDMI and so therefore must be displayport!

I haven't followed changing standards since I'm one of those 'buy something and then not follow the trends until I buy again' people. Either way, it doesn't look as if I'll be getting any form of frame sync unless I buy an AMD card + monitor or a GSYNC monitor. A quick check suggests that there isn't much price difference between the two options.

Soldato
Thanks. I suspect it's a business decision rather than a hardware issue, but there you go!

It's definitely a hardware limitation. If it was a business decision surely they would have forced all those Pascal owners to upgrade to Turing cards if those people wanted adaptive sync. Pascal is EOL now.

Soldato
Just discovered that a monitor gets an immediate validation fail if VRR/FreeSync is not enabled by default on the monitor. So apart from any obvious blanking or ghosting issues, the following are required:
  • On by default in monitor settings
  • Supports LFC
  • VRR range of 2.4:1
No wonder so few passed validation.

Soldato
To be fair, it is a bit weird that VRR is disabled by default on a lot of monitors when it does no harm being enabled but unused. Maybe it's because some monitors, like mine, put warnings on the screen saying "FreeSync doesn't work at this refresh rate!" and they didn't want that to appear by default?

Permabanned
There Ya go guys. Added Freesync to my 32 inch 4k Monitor. And it works
IT JUST WORKS ;)

Before I had panel running at 70HZ maxes out at 72 at 4k. My Titan delivers mostly pass 40fps in games thats why i went with 40-70 range

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9w6ssn/enabling_freesync_on_nonfreesync_monitors_tutorial/

freesync.png

Caporegime
Just discovered that a monitor gets an immediate validation fail if VRR/FreeSync is not enabled by default on the monitor. So apart from any obvious blanking or ghosting issues, the following are required:
  • On by default in monitor settings
  • Supports LFC
  • VRR range of 2.4:1
No wonder so few passed validation.

And this is why Huang was not lying. Nvidia;s definition of Freesync working includes the above for starters, as most freesync monitors don't then they don;t get certified.

Associate
My LG 4k 27mu67 works perfectly and reminds of when using the monitor with my Fury. Also using a hacked EDID profile to give me 30 - 60hz Freesync range. Monitor overclocks to 72hz and i need to do some testing with that after editing the EDID profile again.

Back
Top Bottom