• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Soldato
LFC only kicks in below your monitor's variable refresh range. However, if your monitor has a range of 30-144 and you drop below that, I think you have other problems. :p

Mine only does 57-144 but I only get under 60 FPS in games where FPS isn't as important anyway.

Soldato
I just tried this out on my Asus MG279Q. It's an IPS monitor with a Freesync range of 35 to 90hz. I have a 1080Ti.

All I did was enable Freesync on my monitor and in the Nvidia control panel set the refresh rate to 90Hz and turn on Gsync. I also enabled the indicator.

The Pendulum demo is kind of weird. When I start the program a warning comes up on my monitor that Freesync has been disabled as the max refresh is outside of 90hz. So somehow the demo ignores or changes the max refresh that I set in the Nvidia control panel. The Gsync indicator says that Gsync is on though.

When I run the demo it sets the refresh rate of the monitor to twice the frame rate. So when I click the "simulate 40fps" option the monitor's refresh rate is 80hz. If I click the "simulate 60fps" option the monitor's refresh rate is 120hz.

I am not sure the demo is the best way to show if it's working or not.

Then I tried Rise of the Tomb Raider, the Geothermal map. In this it worked perfectly. When I was getting 41fps the monitors refresh rate was 41 as well. It was perfectly smooth. I will try it later at lower settings to see what happens it goes over 90fps. .

Associate
Can anyone clarify if this indicator is monitor driver dependent? I'm on a budget no brand IPS panel with 144hz refresh, so I've enabled Freesync on the OSD and in the NVCP and that's all fine, but I don't have an option for an indicator, so does that mean it's not working as my screen shows up in Winders as a generic plug and play DP panel? Only difference in enabling freesync on the new driver is that enabling it before the picture was washed out and interlaced looking, now it appears no different to how the screen normally displays.

Soldato
I just tried this out on my Asus MG279Q. It's an IPS monitor with a Freesync range of 35 to 90hz. I have a 1080Ti.

All I did was enable Freesync on my monitor and in the Nvidia control panel set the refresh rate to 90Hz and turn on Gsync. I also enabled the indicator.

Same monitor as me, someone mentioned (in this thread I think) about being about to change the monitor freesync values to 40-144hz or something...

I'll be trying with my 1080 tonight :D

Associate

The Pendulum demo is kind of weird. When I start the program a warning comes up on my monitor that Freesync has been disabled as the max refresh is outside of 90hz. So somehow the demo ignores or changes the max refresh that I set in the Nvidia control panel. The Gsync indicator says that Gsync is on though.

When I run the demo it sets the refresh rate of the monitor to twice the frame rate. So when I click the "simulate 40fps" option the monitor's refresh rate is 80hz. If I click the "simulate 60fps" option the monitor's refresh rate is 120hz.

Then I tried Rise of the Tomb Raider, the Geothermal map. In this it worked perfectly. When I was getting 41fps the monitors refresh rate was 41 as well. It was perfectly smooth. I will try it later at lower settings to see what happens it goes over 90fps. .
try the amd windmill demo and see if you get the same result? your min selector should be 5hz higher than the lowest part of the range, so 35 will show as 40hz. hope it helps

Associate

I have a Asus MG279Q monitor to and did the same setup, though I had to manually set the refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel as mine was still set to 144hz. The monitor displayed a message saying freesync would only work with a range of 35 to 90hz, but once the range was set to 90hz the message disappeared.

Melmac did you turn on V-sync in Nvidia control pane?

After I played a few hours of Farcry 5 and didn't have any problems, though I've not done any tests.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok so maybe my range isn't 30-144 im unsure now if its working properly.

First question do I need to enable Vsync in control panel? At the moment I have it at use the 3d application setting.

I have Gsync compatible under "monitor technology" and under "setup gsync" I have it all enabled. Gsync compatible indicator says it is on.

Quick run on pendulum demo and check of monitors refresh.

30 fps to 47fps - sometimes gets tripled hz (sometimes doubled)
48 fps 60 fps - gets doubled hz

61 hz seems to be lowest that doesn't get doubled or tripled so does that mean my range is 60-144 freesync range?

bru

bru

Soldato
Surely LFC is system that the AMD driver uses, I assume that NVidia have something similar, but I haven't seen any confirmation on the subject.

At least it is working and we should all remember the way Freesync started out it was a good while before some of the issues were fixed, so give NVidia some time to see what they do with this Gsync compatible driver, if they develop it more or just leave it as is.

Associate
I’m fine with it doubling refresh rate was just checking it was working properly really. LFC seems bit confusing as it’s active when out of range of monitor but also says gets activated when 2.5x min refresh

Smoother gameplay when application framerate falls below minimum refresh supported by AMD FreeSyncTM
technology-enabled display
Adaptive algorithm automatically adjusts GPU output and refresh rate to gracefully prevent juddering from sudden drops in framerate
Automatically enabled on all AMD FreeSyncTM-ready monitors where max refresh is ≥2.5X min. refresh No user configuration or proprietary monitor hardware required

Soldato
I have a Asus MG279Q monitor to and did the same setup, though I had to manually set the refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel as mine was still set to 144hz. The monitor displayed a message saying freesync would only work with a range of 35 to 90hz, but once the range was set to 90hz the message disappeared.

Melmac did you turn on V-sync in Nvidia control pane?

After I played a few hours of Farcry 5 and didn't have any problems, though I've not done any tests.

I had to manually change the refresh to 90hz as well. I did mention that in my previous post. I only get the message about freesync been disabled when I start the Pendulum demo. In games and on the desktop it doesn't give that message at all.

I have Vsync off in the Control panel.

Soldato
Quick run on pendulum demo and check of monitors refresh.

30 fps to 47fps - sometimes gets tripled hz (sometimes doubled)
48 fps 60 fps - gets doubled hz

Try games and see what refresh rate you are getting. I get the frame doubling in the Pendulum demo but not in games.

Soldato
Same monitor as me, someone mentioned (in this thread I think) about being about to change the monitor freesync values to 40-144hz or something...

I'll be trying with my 1080 tonight :D

Yeah, I was going to try CRU to change the freesync range but wanted to see if it would work without first. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

try the amd windmill demo and see if you get the same result? your min selector should be 5hz higher than the lowest part of the range, so 35 will show as 40hz. hope it helps

Thanks, I might download it later out of curiosity more than anything else. Because I don't really need to try another demo to test it as it's working in games. For any games that I tried so far the frame rate and the refresh rate match up perfectly so I know it's working. The only problem has been the Frame doubling while running the Pendulum demo.

Associate
Can anyone clarify if this indicator is monitor driver dependent? I'm on a budget no brand IPS panel with 144hz refresh, so I've enabled Freesync on the OSD and in the NVCP and that's all fine, but I don't have an option for an indicator, so does that mean it's not working as my screen shows up in Winders as a generic plug and play DP panel? Only difference in enabling freesync on the new driver is that enabling it before the picture was washed out and interlaced looking, now it appears no different to how the screen normally displays.
I couldn't find the option to turn the indicator on either, when you bring up nvidia control panel, right at the top of it you will see it says display, its on the top bar, click that then click on nvidia indicator to turn it on :)

Soldato
Agreed but congratulating them on releasing a working implementation of an open standard that AMD has done from the start just seems wrong to me

Why? Lots of reasons to hate Nvidia, but, in fairness, there was no standard when they started Gsync. And now that they have decided to support adaptive sync on the desktop, that's good news for the consumer. And they did a good job too, it seems to work for most people with the minimum of fuss. So credit where credit is due.

Soldato
I couldn't find the option to turn the indicator on either, when you bring up nvidia control panel, right at the top of it you will see it says display, its on the top bar, click that then click on nvidia indicator to turn it on :)

:D Same here, took me a while to find it!!

Soldato
Installed the driver and fired up the Control Panel and was greeted with this.....

hnEute8.png

It was already enabled...

klv8xSh.png

I ran the nVidia pendulum demo and sure enough it works.....
https://www.nvidia.co.uk/coolstuff/demos
bnEsVxS.png

This screen https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...reesync-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-04m-ao.html

Will test games in more depth later, but so far so good....

Im sure you need to also tick the box in section 3, that's what i did anyway. Once I did that my screen went black for a few seconds as if it enabled. It did automatically enable Gsync in the nvcp on mine to.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why? Lots of reasons to hate Nvidia, but, in fairness, there was no standard when they started Gsync. And now that they have decided to support adaptive sync on the desktop, that's good news for the consumer. And they did a good job too, it seems to work for most people with the minimum of fuss. So credit where credit is due.

Yes I agree but the A-sync tech has been used for just about 4 years now on desktop, Why has it took them this long is what I am saying when clearly from pascal it can be used.

Also iirc A-sync is a derivative of the E-dp spec that laptops use so it's actually been around a good while longer

Associate
Yeah, I was going to try CRU to change the freesync range but wanted to see if it would work without first. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Thanks, I might download it later out of curiosity more than anything else. Because I don't really need to try another demo to test it as it's working in games. For any games that I tried so far the frame rate and the refresh rate match up perfectly so I know it's working. The only problem has been the Frame doubling while running the Pendulum demo.
no problem i thought it might aid it in testing the low end as from memory you can specify the target fps :)

Associate
Good news, that looks a nice monitor :cool:
Yep, bought it for £400 over Christmas as I had to get a refund on my previous Acer Predator XB321HK after it became faulty. I was originally somewhat disappointed because I thought I was losing out on Gsync but now that the Asus XG32VQ has Freesync working nicely it seems like a bargain because the build quality feels much better on the Asus monitor.

Back
Top Bottom