• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Associate
but that is exactly what Jensen is stating. I think you are reading far too much in to what he said and conflating different points he raised.
He basicaly makes 2 claims:
1) Most monitors don't have LFC and a sufficient operation range, or otherwise require new firmware or such that it isn't plug n play. Therefore, out of the 400 monitors most simply don't make the cut, regardless of an AMD of Nvidia GPU. Nvidia is fully entirely to say these monitors don't work under their own definition.
2) There are flickering issues, contrast, backlight issues and other bad behaviors when connected to a nvidia GPU, many of these issues are evident with and AMD GPU as well. Therefore, Freesync doesn't work universally. When Nvidia certify a freesync screen then the user has a guarantee.

It may be that AMD makes far more driver hacks to try and get badly behaving freesync monitors to work better while Nviai's freesync support uses only the exact standard. If monitor manufacturers are not following the standard exactly then Nvidia doesn't have to spend resources making fixes . it would be better if the monitors were made to be compliant. nvidia's certification might urge manufactures to be more careful with their freesync implementation, and this will help everyone.

At no point did Jensen say Freesync doesn;t work at all on any AMD GPU on any Freesync monitor. Only some monitors just doesn't work regardless of the GPU. This is a hard fact.

Nvidia don;t stand to gain anything by lying about this. They have conceded to support Freesync, they allow freesync on non-certified monitors. They don't cliam freesync doesn't work, or doesn't work on AMD GPUs
LOL you make me laugh, dude get a grip and move on your wrong its simple.

Associate
interesting
MSI boasts many of its FreeSync monitors are G-Sync Compatible///// ;):phttps://hexus.net/tech/news/monitors/126869-msi-boasts-many-freesync-monitors-g-sync-compatible/ ;):p

Associate
I am super happy I ditched my GSync 165Hz monitor with Nvidia card and went with Freesync 4k monitor with Nvidia card.Such a overall better experience for me.
Gotta thank Nvidia again for finally supporting this.This thread died to quick and I can see why with the regular Nvidia people ruining the experience.

As Rich_Guy posted the above best Freesync monitors is good source of information on what you should look into when buying Freesync. In the video no great 4K Freesync or HDR Freesync panels,but i do love my 4K freesync anyway.
There are choices for everyone on Freesync monitor.I personally would not recomend a Nvidia Gsync monitor.

Associate
GLAD YOU LIKE IT /freesync seem's to be working great for amd and nvidia gamers thats what we all want bring on amd rays

Soldato
I have an RTX 2080 driving a Freesync Samsung U32E850 4K IPS. It works but not without a major bug and it's a bug that seems to effect a lot of Freesync monitors on Nvidia.

Every reboot/startup the G-Sync flickers and stutters in games. I have to use the monitor menu system to reboot the monitor, usually changing to PiP mode and back fixes it.

Edit: I just tested and if I turn off the monitor, then turn it on again before I start gaming it does indeed "reset" G-Sync. My previous testing of powering off/on was done during actual gaming and had zero effect.

So after boot into Windows, I power cycle the monitor and it works fine. I suspect a simple driver fix from Nvidia may fix it.

I only got my 2080 a few days ago but if Nvidia haven't posted a new driver that fixes this problem for many Freesync users, I will have to refund using DSR. I will not take the risk that Nvidia fail to fix this issue because they stubbornly declare no support for non validated monitors.

Freesync on AMD, "it just works" :)

Last edited:
Soldato
If you get flickering,turn monitor on/off until Nvidia fixes the timing issue.

Turning off and on doesn't help, I have to change the monitor to PiP and back to normal again. Regardless, even if it was just an off and on thing, who is to say Nvidia will ever fix it?

Now those rational people among us would ask that at least Nvidia gave us the same quality and experience that AMD have managed for years. Believe it or not there are those who would claim "it's a monitor issues, not Nvidia's, while ignoring that the monitor has worked on AMD GPUS flawlessly since they introduced Freesync.

Jensen getting on that stage and lying through his teeth about Freesync not even working on AMD does not fill me with confidence.

Man of Honour
Turning off and on doesn't help, I have to change the monitor to PiP and back to normal again. Regardless, even if it was just an off and on thing, who is to say Nvidia will ever fix it?

Now those rational people among us would ask that at least Nvidia gave us the same quality and experience that AMD have managed for years. Believe it or not there are those who would claim "it's a monitor issues, not Nvidia's, while ignoring that the monitor has worked on AMD GPUS flawlessly since they introduced Freesync.

Jensen getting on that stage and lying through his teeth about Freesync not even working on AMD does not fill me with confidence.

Yeah the chances of nVidia fixing it is way too much of a gamble IMO - if I was in your position I definitely wouldn't work on the assumption that nVidia will sort it any time soon if at all.

Regarding the support nVidia versus AMD still not enough information to be sure but to be frank I think AMD have special cased a lot of stuff to make it work with monitors that don't properly support the adaptive sync spec (not really much of an assumption with the mess some manufacturers have made of the ranges, etc.) and nVidia having a more basic support for the as per the on paper implementation of adaptive sync is resulting in them not working properly for nVidia setups - though I doubt the AMD echo chamber will allow for that to be a possibility until someone comes out with hard data then they'll find some way to deflect/ignore it.

Soldato
Yeah the chances of nVidia fixing it is way too much of a gamble IMO - if I was in your position I definitely wouldn't work on the assumption that nVidia will sort it any time soon if at all.

Regarding the support nVidia versus AMD still not enough information to be sure but to be frank I think AMD have special cased a lot of stuff to make it work with monitors that don't properly support the adaptive sync spec (not really much of an assumption with the mess some manufacturers have made of the ranges, etc.) and nVidia having a more basic support for the as per the on paper implementation of adaptive sync is resulting in them not working properly for nVidia setups - though I doubt the AMD echo chamber will allow for that to be a possibility until someone comes out with hard data then they'll find some way to deflect/ignore it.

I'm prepared to believe even Nvidia would think we either support Adaptive sync or we don't? AMDs solution does work within the relative monitor spec, so if a monitor works on AMD without having to reboot the monitor then Nvidia should be more than capable of achieving the same.

The RTX 2080 is a great GPU but the price is a bit high. I got mine used (B-Grade)for £578 and it is a model that goes for £700 new. Had Nvidia not opened adopted adaptive sync then I would not even consider Nvidia and if it works only partially then I would have to look at other options.

Hoping Nvidia pull through with a better driver.

Man of Honour
I'm prepared to believe even Nvidia would think we either support Adaptive sync or we don't? AMDs solution does work within the relative monitor spec, so if a monitor works on AMD without having to reboot the monitor then Nvidia should be more than capable of achieving the same.

My suspicion is that some of these FreeSync monitors do not adhere properly to the adaptive sync spec and that AMD has workarounds in play - it would also play into Jensen's exaggerated claims about FreeSync not working as he not uncommonly takes a small truth and blows it upto into something bigger - usually in terms of claims about nVidia.

Soldato
My suspicion is that some of these FreeSync monitors do not adhere properly to the adaptive sync spec and that AMD has workarounds in play - it would also play into Jensen's exaggerated claims about FreeSync not working as he not uncommonly takes a small truth and blows it upto into something bigger - usually in terms of claims about NVidia.

No doubt you are going to link to the evidence to back this theory up? For me it does not stack up to even basic scrutiny. I mean either AMD barely have enough money for R&D or they are ******* money against a wall to trick monitors into working with Freesync.

Adaptive sync standards are something a monitor adheres to or it doesn't get to add the Apdative Sync/Freesync brand to it. The only pre-requisite to get Freesync certification is for the monitor to meet the minimum VESA Adaptive Sync specification standards. It is the very reason AMD have won the Adaptive Sync war with Nvidia. Saturate the market with everything from cheap 1080p £100 Freesnyc monitors right up to top of the range £1K types. Any arguments that G-Sync was the better technology was moot because anyone wanting a great Freesync monitor could do a bit of research to get one.

Man of Honour
No doubt you are going to link to the evidence to back this theory up? For me it does not stack up to even basic scrutiny. I mean either AMD barely have enough money for R&D or they are ******* money against a wall to trick monitors into working with Freesync.

You can hardly base any logic on what is a pure guess at the costs involved and given that nVidia has supposedly tested so many monitors as what is more or less a side project it is unlikely the costs are anything like as high as you are implying given that AMD would have to do a certain amount of the testing and support anyhow.

Adaptive sync standards are something a monitor adheres to or it doesn't get to add the Apdative Sync/Freesync brand to it.

Aslong as it supports DisplayPort PSR (which is actually a separate feature to adaptive sync even on desktop though it is used for the current adaptive sync standard) it can be made to work with FreeSync (that is how FreeSync came into being in the first place).

Soldato
I am super happy I ditched my GSync 165Hz monitor with Nvidia card and went with Freesync 4k monitor with Nvidia card.Such a overall better experience for me.
Gotta thank Nvidia again for finally supporting this.This thread died to quick and I can see why with the regular Nvidia people ruining the experience.

As Rich_Guy posted the above best Freesync monitors is good source of information on what you should look into when buying Freesync. In the video no great 4K Freesync or HDR Freesync panels,but i do love my 4K freesync anyway.
There are choices for everyone on Freesync monitor.I personally would not recomend a Nvidia Gsync monitor.

I also ditched my Dell G-SYNC 144Hz monitor for a Benq 4K HDR monitor which works great with Nvidia Freesync.

I much prefer the picture the VA panel produces overall and the extra real estate is nice to have and its also used my PS4 pro/ Xbox X.

Soldato
You can hardly base any logic on what is a pure guess at the costs involved and given that nVidia has supposedly tested so many monitors as what is more or less a side project it is unlikely the costs are anything like as high as you are implying given that AMD would have to do a certain amount of the testing and support anyhow.

"My suspicion is that some of these FreeSync monitors do not adhere properly to the adaptive sync spec and that AMD has workarounds in play"

I'm sorry we started off well but now you are debating a point I never made in the first place. My point was a simple if AMD can support Adaptive Sync without such issues then so can Nvidia. You responded that you had a "suspicion" that AMD were implementing workarounds to fix monitors that are not within spec. That is quite a bold claim and not remotely the same as mere "testing". That is why I asked for your supporting evidence. My experience in the IT industry is that it costs more in man hours and money to implement physical "workarounds", or fixes than simple testing for compliance.
  1. Testing = "does it work? then putting it into a failed/passed category. This is what Nvidia have done and released a bare essential driver that gets it working a small percentage of monitors but not all monitors.
  2. Workaround = "does it work and if not, spend time fixing it at a driver level". This is what you imply AMD have done.
As stated above, option 2 would cost substantially more in money and man hours to do than point 1.

You make unsubstantiated claims against AMD that they use "workarounds" to fix out of spec monitors. I asked for your evidence and instead you move the goalposts to make a strawman about "it wouldn't cost much more than testing anyway". As showed above this is a nonsensical assumption not backed up by logic. Even if it were true, the fact AMD can get it working implies it should be possible for Nvidia.

I will not go off tangent into speculation without evidence. I prefer to believe that AMD have had years of experience working with the VESA Adpative Sync standard. As such they have a more robust and mature implementation at a driver (or possibly hardware) level. Nvidia just need to catch up a bit and I believe they will bring refinements to their implementation.

Last edited:
Soldato
I also ditched my Dell G-SYNC 144Hz monitor for a Benq 4K HDR monitor which works great with Nvidia Freesync.

I much prefer the picture the VA panel produces overall and the extra real estate is nice to have and its also used my PS4 pro/ Xbox X.

When I got my 4K 32" IPS monitor Nvidia did not have a G-sync option at that spec. So I sold my 980Ti and got s Fury (non X). Ironically even with a 20%+ performance defecit the Fury and Freesync gave a much smoother game-play experience at 4K.

At 4K My 2080 with V-Sync off gives a worse experience than my Vega 64 with Freesync enabled. Even if the 2080 is driving the same game at 60 FPS compared to 40 on the Vega 64. Now obviously with 2080 and Freesync the extra FPS makes it even better. It only takes me a few seconds to see if A-sync is on or off, no need for the G-Sync Active overlay. :D

Hoping Nvidia come through with a fixed driver soon.

Back
Top Bottom