• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Associate
The EW3270U looks very interesting just wish I had the space. I remember doing a benq firmware update myself using a linux boot disk and vga cable. It was very scary but it worked.

It's a good screen. I use it mainly for work at the moment, but also some gaming. I have it on a vesa mount next to some or other Dell thing. I don't think the firmware can be updated by the user any more, more's the pity. But they sent a new one out with DPD, who also took the old one away, less than a week after I told them about the issue. So they're good with me.

Andnow with nvidia enabling adaptive sync too... v happy!

Man of Honour
You do realise that Jen Huang isn't D.P (as far as I know) and is just stating what Jen said? I don't think Jen is correct either but at the same time, he is CEO of a big corporation and good at marketing. If people can't see this, maybe they should wise up a bit?

You are wasting your time trying to explain the above about NVidia marketing.

Some of these people will accept what NVidia say when it comes to marketing even if it is not true providing it supports their arguement. In another thread on another topic they will do the exact opposite, you can not win.

Example I am thinking of is NVidia claim their FE cards are factory overclocked out of the box. I don't agree and think it is just marketing waffle. The reason for this is there are no "stock" FE cards using the same board and chip so overclocking something that does not exist is impossible.

melmac is quite happy to accept NVidia marketing when it suits his argument but will totally trash Jenshen when it does not.

Caporegime

Some of these people will accept what NVidia say when it comes to marketing even if it is not true providing it supports their arguement. In another thread on another topic they will do the exact opposite, you can not win.

Example I am thinking of is NVidia claim their FE cards are factory overclocked out of the box. I don't agree and think it is just marketing waffle. The reason for this is there are no "stock" FE cards using the same board and chip so overclocking something that does not exist is impossible.

melmac is quite happy to accept NVidia marketing when it suits his argument but will totally trash Jenshen when it does not.
Yer, realising that now. Oh well, I will stick with my "overclockers dream" :D :D

Soldato
i have the dell gsync 27" 144hz 1440p monitor it cost me a fortune.

could i now get a 240hz freesync monitor for the same price likely or cheaper and use that with my GTX 1080?

As long as its on this list yes https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/ others have not been "certified" so you risk whether it works or not.

It's a good screen. I use it mainly for work at the moment, but also some gaming. I have it on a vesa mount next to some or other Dell thing. I don't think the firmware can be updated by the user any more, more's the pity. But they sent a new one out with DPD, who also took the old one away, less than a week after I told them about the issue. So they're good with me.

Andnow with nvidia enabling adaptive sync too... v happy!

Whats the viewing angles like as its a VA. I sit slightly below so when I had a TN it was noticeable but now with an IPS it doesnt matter. Also wondering if there are different versions as I did a quick google earlier and found it a lot cheaper than OCUK.

Associate
Maybe I missed it but where did D.P say Jen was right?
in reply to my post's, where i said d.p was wrong you actually said d.p was right. in the end we got there that he was in fact wrong. :D:D

the difference is in regards to why someone might call Jenson a liar and then believe someone else nvidia says is; normally nvidia dont post bs in there marketing(for the most part and this can be backed up) where as we factually know jenson is bsing regarding freesync again with evidence.

Last edited:
Soldato

Wow, you really don't like been proved wrong. You still think you have any kind of argument, Websites, Gibbo, Nvidia themselves all say you are wrong.

The Palit card used in that review had a 105Mhz overclock not 15mhz. You were wrong and still are wrong.
Nvidia didn't produce a reference spec 2080TI or 2080.
The Founders Edition is overclocked and not reference spec.

But like I said, you aren't man to admit you are wrong.

Associate
Whats the viewing angles like as its a VA. I sit slightly below so when I had a TN it was noticeable but now with an IPS it doesnt matter. Also wondering if there are different versions as I did a quick google earlier and found it a lot cheaper than OCUK.

Haven't noticed a problem with it, but I'm probably pretty forgiving when it comes to it. The Dell next to it is an IPS Ultrasharp and yeah, there's a definite colour-shift on the BenQ when I shift position vertically that's not there on the Dell.

Soldato
the difference is in regards to why someone might call Jenson a liar and then believe someone else nvidia says is; normally nvidia dont post bs in there marketing(for the most part and this can be backed up) where as we factually know jenson is bsing regarding freesync again with evidence.

Exactly, Jensen talking BS doesn't mean everything Nvidia says is wrong or lies. Kind of strange that you had to actually explain that.

Man of Honour
Wow, you really don't like been proved wrong. You still think you have any kind of argument, Websites, Gibbo, Nvidia themselves all say you are wrong.

The Palit card used in that review had a 105Mhz overclock not 15mhz. You were wrong and still are wrong.
Nvidia didn't produce a reference spec 2080TI or 2080.
The Founders Edition is overclocked and not reference spec.

But like I said, you aren't man to admit you are wrong.

I will say it again

Find me a FE card that is not overclocked and I will believe you that the rest are.

You can not have an overclocked card if the stock version does not exist.

And before I forget the RTX Titan is not overclocked because NVidia don't claim it is lol.

Permabanned
Why should freesync have to adhere to nvidia's criteria? Nvidia are the ones seeing what way the tide is turning and jumping on the adaptive sync bandwagon, not the other way around. The fact that they disqualify a monitor because it doesn't enable g sync automatically is an utter farce, do they think their users are that thick they can't open the archaic nvidia control panel and turn on a toggle? Just another BS piece of criteria so Jensen could prance about on stage and spout his crap of only 12 out of 400 monitors passed their tests.
Mate He does not THINK HE KNOWS !!! I know people like that told my mate to change hes cpu fan profile in bios from silent to normal cause says pc overheating. Said he CANT DO IT and will wait till I'm in Birmingham to do it for him **** YOU NOT !!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidea async working well on my LG 4k monitor. 27MU67-B. Using a 1070.

I use RTSS to limit the frame rate to 59. VSync is set to true in the control panel and off in-game. This results in a smooth experience without any noticeable lag.

The monitor has freesync enabled when connecting via DP but but not HDMI. But only supports HDCP 2.2 (For Playready 3.0, Netflix UHD) when connecting via HDMI.

Nvidea cards "Just Work"TM with Netflix 4k whereas I never got it working right with my old Vega. I did have it working using the Coffee Lake IGP over HDMI 2.0 but that was buggy and I would constantly be unplugging cables from the back of the monitor to get things to work.

With the 1070, I can connect the same monitor via DP and HDMI to the card. Switching connection is then just a case of shutting down, changing the input on the monitor then starting the computer again. Settings are retained.

Soldato
As long as its on this list yes https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/ others have not been "certified" so you risk whether it works or not.

Probably the same as most new consumer IPS screens, as most of the new IPS screens arent actually IPS, they just have a "IPS type" panel made by autronics instead. I have owned a VA screen and in my opinion both my 2 newest IPS screens have same viewing angle behaviour as the VA screen had, which is contrast shift but not colour shift which TN gets. Its still a much wider angle than TN tho as well, so basically with VA its a much wider angle than TN, and contrast shift instead of colour shift vs TN. Proper IPS which seems rare now on consumer displays has almost no shift at all, you have to go to a very extreme angle like looking top down at a screen.

Back
Top Bottom