• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Soldato
Do we? the only difference we know of is in refresh rates.

Don't be silly. Of course that's the case.

Differential panels (and by extension colour reproduction, response times, viewing angles etc)
Resolution
Coatings (Anti Glare etc)
Bezel sizes
Inputs
Stands
Rotation / Portrait / Landscape

All monitors are not only equal other than VRR range. What nonsense.

Even looking at VRR adaptive sync as a technology alone there is plenty a more expensive panel can offer over a cheaper one.

Caporegime

Differential panels (and by extension colour reproduction, response times, viewing angles etc)
Resolution
Bezel sizes
Inputs
Stands

Even looking at VRR adaptive sync as a technology alone there is plenty a more expensive panel can offer over a cheaper one.

You're confusing screen specifications with the scaler, the screen and the scaler are separate things.

Permabanned
How do they get around the very expensive niche production runs vendors will have to do to make them?

Its two separate production lines, if they are running a G-Sync production line for 1% of your annual sales that screen will be extremely expensive, the economics of scale just don't add up, you're not going to run a production line for a rare product with in niche because you don't have the economy of scale to pay for your staff and low volume components.
Even nVidia will not have the economy of scale making those G-Sync Modules, if your not buying tens of thousands on components per order those components become very expensive, its unsustainable, its the other reason i think the G-Sync module is dead.

I'd have to hunt to find where I read it it but basically it was promotional info I read on Nvidia's own website yesterday, As we've recently seen Nvidia have been working on including G-sync with high end TV's & monitors that often cost thousands of pounds, According to what I read that's where the focus will be going forward.

Do we expect £99 Freesync monitors to work well with GSync active at driver level? I'm guessing not...

Of course not, if they don't offer a good Freesync experience they won't offer a good G-sync (FreeGee) experience. If a cheap adaptive sync monitor has a small working range that is what it has, it can't be changed so it will mean we need to do the same homework before purchasing a monitor as we already need to do before buying a monitor for Freesync, What matters is it having a wide enough working range that it can offer LFC support. That makes a decent Freesync monitor & it will need the same for FreeGee.

Vega is not "the better choice at the moment". 1070Ti consistently outperforms 56 and even 64 in some benches. It also runs cooler, quieter and more efficiently. You don't know how much I paid for mine, to boot.

I've spent less than £600 on a 1070Ti and 32" AOC Freesync monitor.

It's only my opinion mate :)

Yep that was me :)

I am looking most forward to something like a 3080 or 3080Ti (depending on pricing) if I am being honest. I don’t see Navi brining 2080 Ti performance, let alone 3080 which will hopefully have the grunt needed for proper RTX on top. But I also need to see a lot more support for RTX. Right now it is utter tripe imo. They need to up their game in the next 12 months.

I can see AMD getting back into the game post Navi. Especially if they manage to say stick 2-4 smaller GPU’s on one die and make it work like one GPU without any scaling issues.

Same here, Being GCN I don't think Navi will offer enough to shake things up much, In fact I think it will do similar to what Polaris did, 14nm Polaris replaced 28nm Hawaii/Grenada but offered less performance than 28nm Fiji. I think 7nm Navi will replace 14nm Polaris with 14nm Vega performance at best. Replacing Vega with higher performance will be done by whatever comes after 7nm Navi, 7nm Arturis???

What is classified as a bad freesync monitor ?

Anything with a small working range as that means no LFC (low framerate compensator) support.

As an example the first Ultrawide monitors with Freesync were 60hz 2560x1080 models with a Freesync working range of 48 to 60 hz, They knew that wasn't wide enough to provide a decent experience so they actively withheld that info from us, If you went back and searched for relevant threads on this forum back in 2012 or whenever they hit the market plenty of members where unhappy that we weren't being given access to the info that mattered in the promotional specifications of the new Ultrawide Freesync monitors (primarily LG monitors), basically they used the buzzwords Ultrawide & Freesync to sell what were being promoted as Gaming Monitors, They did not deserve the name & even searching LG's own websites made us no wiser to the technical specs they used for the Freesync feature.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If only mate. I played it for exactly 52 weeks in a row a few years back and guess how much I won? £0! I was -£104 in the end :o:(:p

I've been looking at my Lottery spending a bit recently, I play online and although I only spend £4 a week playing both Wednesday and Saturday it starts to add up over the years, but as they say "You need to be in it to win it" :D

Permabanned

Resolution
Bezel sizes
Inputs
Stands

For a decent adaptive sync experience you need to focus on a monitors working range and whether it's wide enough to offer LFC support. They're the main things you need to check up on for Freesync.

Soldato
so the main problem with freesync is it has a very high min framerate, most are higher than 40-48fps as min rate which seems bizarre.

the second problem is there is no IPS panel below 4k in the gsync compatible list.

gsync monitors are variable at the full framerate range.

Associate
I got my Dell S2716DG for a steal of a price and its fantastic and I prefer G-Sync over FreeSync at the same prices. Here’s hoping they continue to develop the real gsync at these prices. I really don’t want to deal with the hassle of researching ranges, whether it supports ulmb and so on. I knew I was getting everything when I spent on a gsync monitor.

Soldato
so the main problem with freesync is it has a very high min framerate, most are higher than 40-48fps as min rate which seems bizarre.

the second problem is there is no IPS panel below 4k in the gsync compatible list.

Err come again? Gsyncs floor is 30hz and after that it does the same as what LFC for freesync is meant to do which is doubling the frames until it goes over the floor(which again is 30hz in the case of gsync). VRR gaming at sub 55ish is trash imho so i don't understand the out cry about 40-48hz freesync floor vs gsync 30hz as long as the monitor is supporting LFC properly. Now if we were talking about the 60hz monitors with a floor of 48hz then i would certainly agree that its not that useful but then we are talking about a poor implementation of freesync instead freesync itself being bad. There is a distinction to be made there.

I got my Dell S2716DG for a steal of a price and its fantastic and I prefer G-Sync over FreeSync at the same prices. Here’s hoping they continue to develop the real gsync at these prices. I really don’t want to deal with the hassle of researching ranges, whether it supports ulmb and so on. I knew I was getting everything when I spent on a gsync monitor.

Well here is the thing, ULMB is an nvidia feature and is NOT supported on every gsync monitor so even if you stick to a pure nvidia ecosystem you still have to do the research, there is no getting around it.

Soldato

As long as the range is wide enough this is irrelevant as low frame compensation will give you the full working range (caveat being Nvidia need to support this via a software implementation like AMD currently do).

Secondly the official support isn't required as you can still manually enable it according to the blog post.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've been looking at my Lottery spending a bit recently, I play online and although I only spend £4 a week playing both Wednesday and Saturday it starts to add up over the years, but as they say "You need to be in it to win it" :D
Indeed :)

I play now and then these days. Probably a handful of times a year when I fancy it.

Associate
Always felt G-Sync was a scam so this support is very welcome even though a long time coming. I presume the issue panels are simply panels that Nvidia have just not worked out how to control. If AMD can make these panels work, why can't Nvidia?

It's called saving face. If Nvidia suddenly said Dddaa, all freesync monitors are supported it would be humiliating. So they choose their own way to implement a fixed standard that makes g-sync look superior (in their eyes). Give it a few driver updates and every freesync monitor will work within its own range.

Caporegime
Always felt G-Sync was a scam so this support is very welcome even though a long time coming. I presume the issue panels are simply panels that Nvidia have just not worked out how to control. If AMD can make these panels work, why can't Nvidia?
How was it a scam? If G-Sync didn't happen, AMD wouldn't have done it. G-Sync was out a year before AMD decided "Oh, we can do this and best we play catch up now". They had the way to do it before NVidia also, so whilst people still bitch about G-Sync, if it wasn't for NVidia, we wouldn't have ANY form of VRR. VRR tech is a game changer for me and really upped my enjoyment.

I personally think this is a fantastic move by NVidia and a very good tactical one at that.... Buy an AMD GPU and use freesync only or buy an NVidia GPU and have VRR or G-Sync. You are not tied to a vendor over your monitor choice!

Permabanned
OP
How was it a scam? If G-Sync didn't happen, AMD wouldn't have done it. G-Sync was out a year before AMD decided "Oh, we can do this and best we play catch up now". They had the way to do it before NVidia also, so whilst people still bitch about G-Sync, if it wasn't for NVidia, we wouldn't have ANY form of VRR. VRR tech is a game changer for me and really upped my enjoyment.

I personally think this is a fantastic move by NVidia and a very good tactical one at that.... Buy an AMD GPU and use freesync only or buy an NVidia GPU and have VRR or G-Sync. You are not tied to a vendor over your monitor choice!

I thought of it as a scam as no G-Sync module was required, as AMD have proven. Sales of G-Sync would have been much lower if consumers were more aware of what they were purchasing. Nvidia, while not alone, play on consumer ignorance.

Permabanned

It was a good move, The recent downturn in peoples opinion of Nvidia & the way they do things just got turned into an upturn.

I thought of it as a scam as no G-Sync module was required, as AMD have proven. Sales of G-Sync would have been much lower if consumers were more aware of what they were purchasing. Nvidia, while not alone, play on consumer ignorance.

Monitor makers were the worst, When Freesync first came to market they used the naming to sell monitors that had virtually no support & no right to be called gaming monitors.

Associate
It was a good move, The recent downturn in peoples opinion of Nvidia & the way they do things just got turned into an upturn.

Only its not implemented out of the goodness of their hearts. Its a cold hard business decision, which I've not got a problem with. If only they would sell a decent card at a decent price...

Back
Top Bottom