OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
What was everyone's most successful calming method for a new born? Our latest is 2 weeks now. Seems quite fussy between feeds and sleep which is normal I guess but sometimes everything we try seems to not aid in calming him down.

He seems to enjoy a swaddle which is fine at the moment. Doesn't seem too fussed about static noise but I hear many use this as a sleep aid?

Otherwise all going well, nights have been ok couple of bad ones but its early days

Don
At 2 weeks old, no single thing is going to work for you.

White noise, a dummy, swaddling, rocking / motion.

He still remembers being inside that nice cosy womb, all he needs is time and patience to get a routine.

But I'm afraid to say, you've got a lot more weeks of grizzle until something clicks

[Edit] and keep winding him. If you think you've got all his gas out, you're probably wrong

If Mum is breastfeeding, pick "bland" foods for a few weeks too. Food transfers into breastmilk, so if she's eating curries, the baby will get some of it in the milk!

Soldato
At 2 weeks old, no single thing is going to work for you.

White noise, a dummy, swaddling, rocking / motion.

He still remembers being inside that nice cosy womb, all he needs is time and patience to get a routine.

But I'm afraid to say, you've got a lot more weeks of grizzle until something clicks

[Edit] and keep winding him. If you think you've got all his gas out, you're probably wrong

If Mum is breastfeeding, pick "bland" foods for a few weeks too. Food transfers into breastmilk, so if she's eating curries, the baby will get some of it in the milk!

Tbh this has been our thinking. He's our second but completely forgot how we handled the early weeks ;) not too bad though just wondered if there may be something we hadn't thought of. Luckily shes bottle feeding so no nasty curry poos

Soldato
Just started potty training my son today. He's 3 next month so not sure if it's too early. This morning was a complete fail, despite me asking every 10 mins if he needed to go (and him saying no) everytime I left the room he wet himself. Since my Mrs came home at 4, he's been fine:rolleyes:. Any tips for dealing with boys, we trained our daughter at the same age and it seemed to happen real fast (although we did try her 6 months earlier and that failed miserably, so not sure if it's the past experiences that trained her a little).

Soldato
Just started potty training my son today. He's 3 next month so not sure if it's too early. This morning was a complete fail, despite me asking every 10 mins if he needed to go (and him saying no) everytime I left the room he wet himself. Since my Mrs came home at 4, he's been fine:rolleyes:. Any tips for dealing with boys, we trained our daughter at the same age and it seemed to happen real fast (although we did try her 6 months earlier and that failed miserably, so not sure if it's the past experiences that trained her a little).

We did ours just after 3. Followed a book very loosely but basically day 1 was just a case of nothing on his bottom half and learning his cues, maybe he would do a "little dance" right before needing a wee then we would place him on the potty to see if anything would happen.

If that went well day 2 or 3 was pants on and more of the same, observing etc. Prompting was a big thing. Asking him directly if he needed to go seemed to frustrate him, so instead if we noticed a cue like the above we would essentially tell him it's time to sit on the potty. I guess asking gives them ammo to refuse or fight it?

After a few days following this sort of thing he would sit on it and go by himself but by no means was that it. Expect accidents even when they are "trained". Preschool was a bit of a hurdle but they helped their end. Need to tackle nights though, been putting it off for no real reason now

daz

daz

Soldato
Sometimes when my youngest was crying for what seemed like no reason, he's get into a state where he'd just be completely wound up. I used to take him outside the house and walk around for 5 minutes. The fresh air and a little bit of cold seemed to 'shock' him into a bit of a reset. Worked for me anyway.

RxR

RxR

Soldato
After 6 months of sleepless nights of baby crying with our first daughter, we asked the local nursing service / new mothers clinic. They solved the problem in about 15 mins by smacking the baby in a particular way about 3 times each time, twice in the session. I did the second smacking under supervision.

Im not sure if it the method applies / can be done the same way for baby boys - it required 3 firm smacks on the nappy between the legs (a sort of shunting / elevator coming to a firm jolting stop 'push smack') - then walking away and listening to the baby's cries ( without doing anything anything for some minutes) for a particular pattern of crying.

We were scorned for letting things go on so long. Ah, we'd tried a lot of things till that point.
The technique wasn't in the 2 baby books we owned.

Last edited:
Soldato
We did ours just after 3. Followed a book very loosely but basically day 1 was just a case of nothing on his bottom half and learning his cues, maybe he would do a "little dance" right before needing a wee then we would place him on the potty to see if anything would happen.

If that went well day 2 or 3 was pants on and more of the same, observing etc. Prompting was a big thing. Asking him directly if he needed to go seemed to frustrate him, so instead if we noticed a cue like the above we would essentially tell him it's time to sit on the potty. I guess asking gives them ammo to refuse or fight it?

After a few days following this sort of thing he would sit on it and go by himself but by no means was that it. Expect accidents even when they are "trained". Preschool was a bit of a hurdle but they helped their end. Need to tackle nights though, been putting it off for no real reason now
We're going through the no nappy nights at moment. For every 1 dry night there are 3 or 4 wet ones. It's taking time to get him through it. He's also getting up every 5 minutes at bed time saying he needs a wee when he clearly doesn't.

Soldato
We're going through the no nappy nights at moment. For every 1 dry night there are 3 or 4 wet ones. It's taking time to get him through it. He's also getting up every 5 minutes at bed time saying he needs a wee when he clearly doesn't.
It's the bit I'm not looking forward too, I'd say probably 6 months after my daughter was day trained she was dry during the night. What's scary is that she's 5 and there's still kids in her class that wear nappies for bed. My wife has found telling him to sit on the potty is the best way as he just doesn't seem to know when he needs to go. I'll keep an eye out for prints, numbers 2s should be easy as he runs off and hides and tells me to go away lol. I'm going to be in the garden a fair bit today so might just leave him in a long T-shirt. I know it's wrong but I did get a bit annoyed with him, I forget that he's so much younger than my daughter.

Soldato
OP
With night nappies, we just waited until she was dry in the mornings most of the time and then just explained to her about what the plan was and then no more nappies. Only one accident since then

Soldato
Some take longer than others especially for nights as far as I'm aware. Dont rush anything, just try when the kid seems ready like the guy above said. Wait until they can stay dry or mostly all night then have a go.

We are waiting for that now. He can do it sometimes, but lately likes to have a number 2 in his nappy first thing in the morning. I'm 99% sure this is happening once hes woken up. I keep explaining to him that he just needs to give us a call and we will get him to the loo. Maybe being in pants might make him feel like he cant go unless hes on a toilet as that's what he knows for day time so may just try it soon and hope

mjt

mjt

Soldato
After 6 months of sleepless nights of baby crying with our first daughter, we asked the local nursing service / new mothers clinic. They solved the problem in about 15 mins by smacking the baby in a particular way about 3 times each time, twice in the session. I did the second smacking under supervision.

Im not sure if it the method applies / can be done the same way for baby boys - it required 3 firm smacks on the nappy between the legs (a sort of shunting / elevator coming to a firm jolting stop 'push smack') - then walking away and listening to the baby's cries ( without doing anything anything for some minutes) for a particular pattern of crying.

We were scorned for letting things go on so long. Ah, we'd tried a lot of things till that point.
The technique wasn't in the 2 baby books we owned.
WTF??

Soldato
Have any of you ever given one of your kids a kids cameras? My 3 yo loves snapping photos on our phone and even pretends to take photos on pretty much everything she gets her hands on, so we're thinking about getting her one for Christmas.

It would need to be sturdy and easy to use. You guys recommend any?

Caporegime
Have any of you ever given one of your kids a kids cameras? My 3 yo loves snapping photos on our phone and even pretends to take photos on pretty much everything she gets her hands on, so we're thinking about getting her one for Christmas.

Kiddizoom Duo :)

Don

We bought ours the VTEC kiddy camera. Like all kids toys, it got used for 2 days then totally forgotten about.

If you have an old mobile phone, let her use that instead. The pictures will be 100x better too

Soldato
We bought ours the VTEC kiddy camera. Like all kids toys, it got used for 2 days then totally forgotten about.

If you have an old mobile phone, let her use that instead. The pictures will be 100x better too
Wait till you let them take it out and about. Some of the random pictures they take are pretty funny.

RxR

RxR

Soldato

Yep. That was our reaction too. We thought the nurse was mad or an abuser. Traumatic - but only for the parents. Heh, that was over 20 years ago and I'm still not over it. But it worked. Looking at it from an engineering perspective, the control plane is in the specific sequence logic, not the concurrent side-effect emotion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom