OcUK Dieters Progress Thread

Soldato
Mini update:

So far so good at avoiding the snacking at work in breaks (supermarket work makes me strangely hungry :()

Also seem to have a lot more energy throughout the day by not snacking :D

Typical day is:

Brekkie: Crunchy Bran (SS Milk, no sugar) followed by 1 banana
Lunch: Heinz Tomato Soup, 1 large roll filled with a small amount of cheese and lotsa salad
Dinner: Health Grilled Chicken with Potato's, Sprouts & Carrots

No idea if it's doing me any good however as I have no scales here (ta Mum :\) Will buy some scales soon and get some actual numbers to play with :)

Man of Honour
Well, finally started eating a lot lot better now, only been a week, but i'm feeling the effects already.

Having skimmed milk + weetabix in the morning.

Fruit and a bowl of soup or a sandwich with lots of salad on in the afternoon, and then reasonably good meal in the evening, with no chip, usually jackets or rice or pasta, with meals usually with salad or meals like curry with shedloads of peppers, onions, garlic, spinnach, mushrooms in it, with a bit of chicken :).

My big cut-outs are having chocolate bars / Ginsters pasties in the day time, and having bread with meals. I tend to have either no bread or maximum 2 pieces of bread per day now.

Only lost a couple of pounds, but the last time I did this I lost a stone and a half over around a month. Only bad stuff I've had was lots of vodka + coke on wednesday, but I danced/moshed that off in a small bucket of sweat I think :p

Permabanned
cheets64 said:
I am going to start tomorrow, worked out my plan and I want to lose 7 pound a week, I am going to bike to work 16 Mile a day up and down hill very hard, also bike it to the gym straight after work, I am going to the gym tomorrow when i finish work at 2PM,

Starting Weight : 208.8 Pounds
Thats 16 miles total, not 16 each way, right? If you're out of condition to start with cheets, you may find 16 miles a bit hard going which in turn you might find a bit discouraging. If so, try the bike Monday/Wednesday/Friday for the first two weeks or so, then start using it daily. I'd also suggest taking some energy bar type things with you as well, for if your blood sugar level drops and leaves you feeling a bit wobbly. NutriGrain (~£1.80/box) are very similar to the "proper" cyclist ones (~£1.50 each) so a friend of mine assures me, and as he does a LOT of proper mountain biking, including races, I'm happy to take his word for it.
Although once you're in condition you'll probably find yourself looking for excuses just to go out for a quick spin round at the weekends. Like going 5 miles away for a loaf rather than the shop on the corner!
cheets64 said:
... glad Wigan are kicking off at 12:45 I won't get stuck in any traffic.
Stuck in traffic on a bike? Now there's a novel concept! :p Round town it's definitely quicker than a car or a bus when there's any sort of traffic around. And if you total up what you spend on petrol, parking, etc for a month you'll probably be surprised at how much these add up to!

Permabanned
With all the mentions of rice in this thread, if anyones interested, Tesco have a good deal on the 10Kg bags of Basmati rice:

Basmati.jpg

20Kg in total for £12.99 - go halves with a friend (as I did), that's one bag each for £6.50, or 65p/kilo.

Soldato
cheets64 said:
I am going to start tomorrow, worked out my plan and I want to lose 7 pound a week, I am going to bike to work 16 Mile a day up and down hill very hard, also bike it to the gym straight after work, I am going to the gym tomorrow when i finnish work at 2PM, glad Wigan are kicking off at 12:45 I wont get stuck in any traffic.

Starting Weight : 208.8 Pounds

7 pounds a week is rather unrealistic, you're talking about 1/2 stone a week !!! Healthy sustainable weight loss from the research Ive done is about 1 pound a week give or take a bit.

For every pound of fat loss equates roughly to 2500 calories so for a 7 pound loss, you'd have to lose 7 days worth of food, through controlling calorie intake and excercise. Its rather unrealistic and unhealthy too unless you intend to work yourself so hard you are dhydrating yourself to lose that weight but then it will just go back on when you rehydrate.

For example, Ive knocked roughly (cant be 100% sure) about 500 calories off my daily intake and do 4-5 600 calorie (not sure how acurate the machines readiings are) cardio workouts. This means:

7 Days worth of 2000 Cals
Less 7 days of 500 Cals
Less 4 days of 600 Cals (for worst case)

14000 - 3500 - 2400 = 8100 Calories a week. So you have just over 1k calories a day to sustain your bodily functions. TBH Im not even sure this is a good thing as it may be too much of a calorie loss and may increase my intake. Perhaps GordyR or Roberta can correct me on anything Im going wrong on :)

Edit: Just read GordyR's post on the other page, looks like I will have to increase my intake :)

Last edited:
Soldato
How hardcore is this?

Chicken breast for breakfast!

*is it slightly less hardcore because it's actually the remains of last nights chicken curry?

Permabanned
Bear said:
7 pounds a week is rather unrealistic, you're talking about 1/2 stone a week !!! Healthy sustainable weight loss from the research Ive done is about 1 pound a week give or take a bit.

I am desperate, i am setting 7 so i can push myself as much, I know that if i dont lose any weight by March, I wont lose any by the summer.

Treefrog said:
Thats 16 miles total, not 16 each way, right? If you're out of condition to start with cheets, you may find 16 miles a bit hard going which in turn you might find a bit discouraging. If so, try the bike Monday/Wednesday/Friday for the first two weeks or so, then start using it daily. !

I never seem to lose my fitness on my bike, going to work is mostly downhill which is good because i spend atleast 6 hours on my feet walking, so coming home up hill is a push but its worth it, I can get home for 10:20 PM in the car and 11:35 PM on the bike, the time i have walked to my car, I can be atleast 1000 yards infront.

Man of Honour
I've actually list 7 pounds this week, after starting last Modnay, shows how much rubbish I used to eat, but I've had so much more energy this week I've probably just been burning lots :p

It'l lend up being 3 or 4 by the end of next week, but a stone in this month is my target, any more and it's an added bonus.

Soldato
GordyR said:
Too sugary... Try normal oats with a little honey added in. Or... Pfft.... go back to your Rice Krispies. :p :D

The "original" Oatso simple is just oats... but any of the flavoured ones have lots of sugar added.

I often have a packet of original, a packet of flavoured and 2 scoops of protein powder for my breakfast.

Permabanned
I have been to Costco and bought 20 tins of John West Tuna in Brine, that will last me a while.

Just had a nice piece of steak (cut it in half and having the other half later) with some petite poi peas.

Soldato
oddjob62 said:
The "original" Oatso simple is just oats... but any of the flavoured ones have lots of sugar added.

I often have a packet of original, a packet of flavoured and 2 scoops of protein powder for my breakfast.

A 1kg bag of oats is about 60p instead of paying considerably more for less for those Oatso simple packs

Soldato
Well, this weekend didn't go too well. Had Chicken fried rice on Friday night. Then on Saturday, I shared a platter of nachos and had a Wagamama's for tea. Today, I had some lovely Tuna wrapped in Parma ham on a potato rosti with some roasted veggies and nicked a few of my mate's chips, and then topped it all off with a Starbucks skinny hot chocolate. Mid-week, I had lost another 1lb, but all this food, coupled with no gym last week due to my bloody cold has left me feeling all huge and horrible. Don't think I want to weigh myself in on Monday, but I have absolutley no choice. I didn't drink any alcohol and stayed on water all night, but still... all those bad things and all those carbs with no gym. Urgh! Talk about bad timing (the cold)

I'm out tomorrow night for a meal too, but have deliberately picked somewhere that does salads, so it won't be too bad. I'll also be trying to cram in a gym visit tomorrow before I go, because my cold is now just sniffles. I want to go Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu this week, because Fri-Sun is out. I'll also try and be a bit more mindful of my food consumption at the Liverpool meet too, and again, won't be drinking.

Anyway, on a more positive note, my mate (a gym instructer, PT, blah blah) gave me a fitness test on Saturday morning and wrote me a new programme for my workouts involving interval stuff for the running machine and some exercises using the fitball (my balance is shocking). I was quite pleased with the results for the fitness test, although I said he couldn't measure my body fat, as he said it wasn't very accurate and I decided that I'd only get upset if I knew :D
My BMI - Normal (green)
Blood pressure - Low (green)
Rest heart rate - Good (green)
Flexibility - Poor (red) - He said my hamstrings were very tight and suggested yoga or something similar to loosen them up, but said not to worry too much.
Stamina - Good (green)
Aerobic capacity - Excellent (green)
Lung function - Normal (Yellow) - Though I was still a bit wheezy, so it could probably be better. My FER (% lung volume that you can expel in the first second) was good :)

Back
Top Bottom